DSDP/TM/Committer Phone Meeting 29-Mar-2007
|Meeting Title:||TM Committer Phone Meeting|
|Date & Time:||Thursday Mar 29, 2007 at 1400 UTC|
|Dial-in:|| International +44 (0)1452 567588|
North America +1 (866) 6161738 (toll free)
UK National 08712460713
Passcode: 0587322148 #
MartinO to start conference call - please dial in using the numbers above.
Please be available for Skype Chat in parallel to the call. MartinO will start Skype chat just prior to call.
Skype fallback dial-in - only if less than 5 participants: martin.oberhuber, ddykstal (or david_dykstal), david-k-mcknight, kushal.munir, javier.montalvoorus, tedatteddotnet, michael_scharf, and uwe.stieber.
- IBM - Dave McKnight, Dave Dykstal, Kushal Munir
- Symbian - Javier Montalvo Orús
- Wind River - Martin Oberhuber, Uwe Stieber, Michael Scharf, (Ted Williams)
This is an Open call, so anyone else can join (though we expect the talk to be interesting for committers only).
- Our top goals
- Grow the Communities - active users and adopters --> tutorial, docs, mailinglist help: being responsive
- Get the APIs Right --> enable public API discussion --> ISV docs, Wiki API discussion, [api] bugzilla's
- Get our Processes in place --> JUnit, nightly builds, infocenter, update site
News & Review Action Items
|Martin||50%||[done] User Actions CQ; multi-subsystem-discussion bug 174495; 3 Bugzillas against CDT;||100%|
|DaveD||100%||UI/Non-UI connectorservice; revisited logging (provides some filtering); moving filters to core now;||100%|
|DaveM||10%||Made stuff internal and UI->Core||50%|
|Kushal||50%||EFS (remaining problem on restoring Eclipse Workbench with a remote project); 179850 Streams on Subsystem Layer: will make streams abstract; Mac available||50%, till end of june|
|Javier||50%||SD submission||30%, testing only|
- See also Last Meeting for notes
- M6 must-have issues
- All development and testing against Eclipse 3.3M6 now, please!
- NLS changes: mostly IBM, not very strict; and need to know what the changes are, so we can report them (notify what files have changed)
- Translation Test late april
- Adding user actions+importexport for Ganymede only? - Problematic since it's a committed plan item
- Useractions is problematic since it has a persistence component.
- Decision: making all UDA and import/export "internal" and add it with M7, probably as "experimental optional" package
- Will need some API for default user actions (configuring dialogs to define own file types)
- Source tgz delivery for source IP scans? - Not heard back
- 170922 (DaveM, DaveD) Making stuff internal
- take care of "discouraged access" warnings!
- rse.core: Should RSESystemType be public? - Uwe: is bound to the extension registry, so OK to be internal
- files.ui: Activator should be internal (util methods to go to RemoteFileUtility). FileResources should be internal? Dialogs should be internal? (Some to be reusable); SystemFileNewConnectionWizardPage - why not with ConnectorService, or dstore? SystemFileFilterStringEditPane should be public to derive from?
- 170920 rse.logging is this really complete? Should the bug be split up or the summary changed?
- processes.ui: Clean-up Manifest (export with ;x-internal="true"); Fix doc.isv; Kill etc actions should be internal. Activator should be internal. SystemProcessFilterStringEditPane should be public to derive from?
- shells.ui: Activator should be internal; SystemViewRemoteOutputAdapter is public but SystemViewRemoteErrorAdapter not? Why is SystemCommandsView public?
- subsystems.files.dstore: Almost everything internal, good! What about SearchResultsChangeListener, StatusChangeListener? What about package.html?
- subsystems.shells.core: What about OutputRefreshJob, its currently needed
- rse.ui/filters: Can we remove SystemFilterStartHere? Looks like convenience, since it is internal now can we remove it? Should SystemFilter be public so clients can derive from it?
- rse.ui/UI: OK to have massagers internal? Shouldn't these be re-usable by clients?
- SystemNewConnectionAction - how to officially do it (needed by remotecdt);
- SystemResources to be internal? (Or we cannot change strings!)
- Why did the RefreshAction remain public? Why did the dialogs remain public?
- Why did the SystemFilterWorkWithFilterPoolsTreeViewer remain public?
- Why did ui.filters.actions package remain public? Why ui.filters.dialogs?
- Why did rse.ui.propertypages remain public?
- Why is SystemTableView public?
- What to do with SystemCommunicationsDaemon? - Kushal: doesnt matter if it is in Open Source - AI Kushal Remove it
- ImportExport and User Actions
- Do importexport and useractions have API? Stuff we need to make internal?
- Can we add it to the features / downloads?
- UI/Non-UI Refactorings
- connectorservice have some Javadoc still referring to SuperAbstractConnectorService
- API Changes
- 179910 (Kushal) removing unnecessary upload/download - do we really need still 2 upload methods?
- TM 2.0 M6 Testing - What changes / features need to be especially tested?
- "internal" refactorings; new connectorservice; encodings; EFS;
- Persistence Provider
- Reason it is in the workspace, is to allow sharing connections with other team members
- But this doesnt work very well anyways, most requests are for import/export of connection or filter definitions
- We could move persistence out of the workspace for now; and at some point, re-add an idea of "Profiles" which are stored in a single file and associated with a project later on
- Migration tools might require multiple persistence providers at some point
- Some customers have team environments without source control, so import/export is better than CM-based sharing
- DaveM could imagine using ECF (or other AIM clients) to share connections
- Use case for different persistence providers:
- Migration - Uwe: For Launch Configurations, they added a LaunchConfigurationMigrator extension point
- Persistence Provider could be a Product preference
- Plan Items
- 170909 (DaveD, Kushal) User Actions: Still waiting for IP review. Found many icons related to UA and import/export in rse.ui which will need to be moved.
- 170923 (DaveD) UI/Non-UI splitting: Conn.Svc almost done, others will fall nicely into place afterwards. rse.ui/plugin.xml/systemTypes need to go to core
- 170932 (DaveD) Default Persistence Provider: mostly non-API
- 170936 (DaveD) Macintosh - machine for unittests? - Kushal now has access to the box - for M6 testing: Kushal do a sanity test, DaveD do elaborate Mac testing
- 170926 (DaveM) Improve IFileService: Returnvalue for copy
- 150498 (Javier) More service-oriented; Multiple subsystems of the same kind - Javier raised bug 174495; 176490 new "dynamic wizard" request, see also "Improve SystemType" below
- 170911 (Javier) Discovery
- 170916 (Kushal) EFS
- 163820 (Kushal) Encodings - AI Kushal UnitTests
- 170915 (Martin) Adopt 3.3 Concepts: Jsch
- 170922 (Martin) Optimize RSE API: ISystemRegistry
- 170910 (Martin) Integrate Terminal
- 170918 (Martin) Improve SystemType and Wizard: AI Martin Replace Name by IRSESystemType in IHost and wherever possible. AI DaveD Start persisting systemType id in addition to name
- if() queries -> these are implementation details later, even replacing Name by Properties since the systemType does have Properties already
- Other API things not directly marked as plan item
- Other Business
- Cleanup: JDT Cleanup wizard, AI Martin start with one plugin
- 170915 (DaveM) Getting rid of Platform "internal" access
- add unit tests for all new or modified API
Priorities are folded into the Action Items below
Other Stuff to Do
- 1. Play well with the Platform
- capabilities; icu4j; Orbit; ssh prefs; drag&drop
- retargetable actions/commands instead of actionsets;
- 2. Improve overall quality (unit tests; special characters; long filenames; background jobs; parallel access; logging; ...)
- 3. New Features
- Persistence-as-xmlfile; Service enablement
- 4. Cleanup/Optimization
- Remove RSE Performance Logging; place contents of logging into core
- Reduce number of plugins (once UI/Non-UI separation is done, and once we have Capabilities: have e.g. ssh.core and ssh.ui but not more)
- Move org.eclipse.rse.connectorservice.local into org.eclipse.rse.subsystems.core
- org.eclipse.rse.subsystems.core (collapse files.core, processes.core, shells.core)
- org.eclipse.rse.subsystems.dstore (collapse files.dstore, processes.dsore, shells.dstore)
- Build Process Improvements
- Orbit bundles to be added differently
- Unittests to run every night (Ted's scripts)
- Version Number Changes to be done by Martin
- 174945 General code cleanup - get rid of unused icons, comments, properties
- Update Copyright Year to 2007 if you happen to think about it
- Please continue on Compiler Warnings
- Update Wiki to explain whether SDK contains examples --> AI Martin wait for Platform and adapt
- For bugs, see the bug process page (assigned to inbox, plan items, status new, hi-priority, API, open with patch, assigned to M6) -- 54 right now
- Change Requests
- Vacations, Holidays etc.
- Javier out of office except tues and wed
- Free discussion -- feelings, comments, critics
- IBM contribution of Remote Source Locators and Remote Java Launch - AI DaveM talk with DaveD, get this started
- Last Meeting Action Items
- Everyone - Review recent pending API change bugzilla's and comment on them if there are any issues
- DaveD - Refactoring UI/Non-UI;
- DaveM - Making stuff internal; Talk with DaveD regarding open-sourcing Remote Source Lookup and Java Launch;
- Kushal - EFS; Encoding Tests; Remove RSECommunicationsDaemon; Bugs & Unit Tests
- Martin - Website updates (M5, Eclipsecon, Webinar); Work on Refresh, ExpandTo, Callbacks; Adopt new Platform SSH organization; Replace systemType name by IRSESystemType in IHost; Integrate Terminal in RSE; Test JDT Cleanup Wizard on one plugin; Update feature.properties for Europa; Migrate build to Ted's scripts; Bugs & Unit Tests; Personal Interviews via Skype; RXTX contribution;
- Javier - Improve SD; Bugs & Unit Tests
- Ted -
- Michael - Terminal Performance Improvements
- Uwe - Update PersistenceProvider bug