DSDP/TM/Committer Phone Meeting 28-Feb-2007
|Meeting Title:||TM Committer Phone Meeting|
|Date & Time:||Wednesday Feb 28, 2007 at 1430 UTC|
|Dial-in:|| International +44 (0)1452 567588|
North America +1 (866) 6161738 (toll free)
UK National 08712460713
Passcode: 0587322148 #
MartinO to start conference call - please dial in using the numbers above.
Please be available for Skype Chat in parallel to the call. MartinO will start Skype chat just prior to call.
Skype fallback dial-in - only if less than 5 participants: martin.oberhuber, ddykstal (or david_dykstal), david-k-mcknight, kushal.munir, javier.montalvoorus, tedatteddotnet, michael_scharf, and uwe.stieber.
- IBM - Dave McKnight, Dave Dykstal, Kushal Munir
- Symbian - (Javier Montalvo Orús n/a)
- Wind River - Martin Oberhuber, Uwe Stieber, (Michael Scharf n/a, Ted Williams n/a)
- Our top goals
- Grow the Communities - active users and adopters --> tutorial, docs, mailinglist help: being responsive
- Get the APIs Right --> enable public API discussion --> ISV docs, Wiki API discussion, [api] bugzilla's
- Get our Processes in place --> JUnit, nightly builds, infocenter, update site
Looking back on TM 2.0M5
- THANKS to the entire team!
- Kushal finished the first plan item, and made good progress on the second one
- First actual bug discovered by a JUnit test
- Everybody worked very focused on hi-priority things - first things first
- Doing Release Notes was fun thanks to excellent bugzilla [api] documentation (everything captured in bugzilla)
- Testing effort was split up among the entire team
- Even though some fixes came late (NewConnectionWizard with hickups; Systemview IContextObject; userdoc issues due to M5; missing isv docs) we did an excellent job in testing
- Some TM 2.0 M5 Testing statistics:
- 94 bugs fixed for M5, including 28 API bugs (66 verified/closed, 28 not (yet) verified)
- 79 new bugs opened during testing; of these, 33 were resolved during testing and 5 more this week - great contributions from everyone
- only 3 duplicates and 2 WORKSFORME during testing
- only 6 bugs reopened during testing
- DaveD - working in Airports etc. was kind of weird but fun (used "BBEdit" HTML Editor to fix issues)
- MartinO - Free tool for checking broken links: Xenu's Link Sleuth - Run it on the internal webserver of a runnining RSE
News & Review Action Items
|Martin||100%||Tested, fixed & released M5. Fixed ISV docs. Fixed versions, names & copyright for features. Made SubSystemConfiguration implementations API for ssh, ftp, local. Now planning M6 and working on EclipseCon.||70%|
|DaveD||80%||Tested build. Documentation updates. UI/Core refactoring.||100%|
|DaveM||50%||Testing & fixing.||50%|
|Kushal||100%||Testing & fixing EFS. want to get EFS wrapped up this week||50%|
|Uwe||0%||Testing & fixing NewConnectionWizard. Continue fixing defects in NewConnectionWizard.||5%|
- Growing Communities: Robert Norton doing Launch Actions; Oliver Hardt doing EFS; 1245 downloads of RSE 1.0.1
- Getting the APIs right
- Regularly scheduled I-builds Thursday 600am Ottawa time;
- Everybody to ensure HEAD is stable by Wednesday evening; Martin do a Sanity in WS on Thursday morning Salzburg time, release everything in HEAD manually; I-build prepared automatically 6am Ottawa time
- Respin not be scheduled automatically, but on demand only
- Tough, tight schedule till end of March (but we'll make it!) - Focus on plan items and [api] changes rather than bugfixes.
- Changes involving user docs will be tagged [userdoc].
- Changes involving NLS strings will be tagged [nls].
- AI DaveD, Kushal, Javier: Review M5 assigned bugs and assign a proper target milestone. M6 if API or NL Strings are involved or it is very urgent. M7 for other urgent stuff. 2.0 otherwise.
- Reviewing Plan items:
- 170909 (DaveD) User Actions: EMO review started. Merging into RSE - tough part is integrating Persistence with the new Persistence Manager (3-4 days); then, testing & fixing & unittests (3-4 days); will need some help from Kushal
- 170923 (DaveD) UI/Non-UI splitting: Currently highest priority for DaveD (until EMO Review is done for UA). DaveD thinks he can complete this without further help by M6.
- 170932 (DaveD) Default Persistence Provider: will need some minor API changes, mostly additions; try to finish for M6, if things go wrong M7 is also OK
- 170936 (DaveD) Macintosh - basically getting drag&drop working - no API - M7
- Martin wants automated nightly unittests
- AI Kushal: check in Toronto - only license is missing
- AI Martin: Ping Greg Watson and Eclipse Foundation
- 170926 (DaveM) Improve IFileService: mostly done; changing String by IPath not applicable since it may be used headless without Eclipse; Returnvalue for copy; Streams for dstore can be done by DaveM.
- Streams on the Subsystem Layer: AI Kushal file a defect
- Remove some of the download methods on subsystem layer, AI Kushal file a defect
- 150498 (Javier) More service-oriented; Multiple subsystems of the same kind - any architectural limitations? DaveM: There might be extenders having problems with multiple.
- Martin: NewConnectionWizard whould allow for "No subsystems"; DaveD: want to be able to get it back later? Martin: not necessarily
- 170911 (Javier) Discovery - not discussed since Javier is not here
- 170916 (Kushal) EFS - Working on it, want it wrapped up till end of the week.
- 163820 (Kushal) Encodings - AI checkin Unit Tests for Encodings: 6 languages done, working on 3 more.
- 170915 (Martin) Adopt 3.3 Concepts - CVS Preference going well; will need Capability support; need to get rid of Platform internal access, will need help from everyone.
- 170922 (Martin) Optimize API / Remove obsolete API: We need to make more packages / classes internal! Will need help from everyone.
- 170910 (Martin) Integrate TM Terminal View - May need some IHostShell API changes. May need help from DaveM.
- 170918 (Martin) Improve SystemType and Wizard - mostly done (thanks to Uwe!), what to do with the systemType Name attribute?
- Martin: Better use fine-granular Properties rather than the name. Subsystems to query Properties from the IHost first, with a fallback to the SystemType if not defined dynamically on the IHost. This allows for both static and dynamic (discovery!) configuration.
- Kushal: Get rid of the name, better have Properties
- DaveD: There is quite a lot of usage of the Name at the moment instead of ID; there might be some Persistence usage! This might require us to still keep the name for some time in order to maintain Workspace compatibility
- Other things to keep an eye on
- add unit tests for all new or modified API
- Top priorities for the next two weeks:
- Kushal - EFS, Encoding Unittests
- DaveD - UI/Non-UI
- DaveM - Eclipsecon, dstore streams
- Martin - Eclipsecon, Properties action
- Javier - Eclipsecon,
- Michael - Terminal Performance
Other Stuff to Do
- 1. API Improvements
- SystemType improvements; retargetable actions/commands;
- Asynchronous API/callbacks; How is the client informed about job completion?
- IHostShell changes for Terminal;
- 173042 (Uwe) Improved / pluggable Refresh
- Looks positive that not too much change might be needed in RSE, will see how commercial implementation goes
- 2. Play well with the Platform
- retargetable actions/commands; capabilities; icu4j; Orbit; ssh prefs; drag&drop
- 3. Improve overall quality (unit tests; special characters; long filenames; background jobs; parallel access; logging; ...)
- 4. New Features
- Terminal-in-rse; Persistence-as-xmlfile; Service enablement
- Montavista shell processes subsystem: Performance improvements - DaveM?
- 5. Cleanups
- Remove RSE Performance Logging; place contents of logging into core
- Reduce number of plugins (once UI/Non-UI separation is done, have e.g. ssh.core and ssh.ui but not more)
- Move org.eclipse.rse.connectorservice.local into org.eclipse.rse.subsystems.core
- org.eclipse.rse.subsystems.core (collapse files.core, processes.core, shells.core)
- org.eclipse.rse.subsystems.dstore (collapse files.dstore, processes.dsore, shells.dstore)
- Orbit bundles to be added differently
- Unittests to run every night
- Version Number Changes to be done by Martin
- Copyright Year Changes
- General code cleanup -- to do right after M5:
- Get rid of unused icons, e.g. rse.ui/icons/full/obj16/system390_obj.gif, IBM_logo.gif
- Get rid of commented out source code
- Get rid of unused properties (chkpii)
- Europa Requirements
- Avoiding non-API from other projects
- AI Martin create bugzilla against CDT
- Update Wiki to explan whether SDK contains examples --> AI Martin wait for Platform and adapt
- Avoiding non-API from other projects
- For bugs, see the bug process page (assigned to inbox, plan items, status new, hi-priority, API, open with patch, assigned to M6) -- pretty many right now
- Update Copyright Year to 2007 if you happen to think about it
- (done) Fix N-builds (second workspace, use Ted's scripts)
- Please continue on Compiler Warnings
- Change Requests
- Vacations, Holidays etc.
- Free discussion -- feelings, comments, critics
- DaveD: Outlook Invitations dont work on Macintosh iCal any more - no idea why
- Last Meeting Action Items
- DaveD - Reassign target milestone for M5 open bugs; Refactoring UI/Non-UI; Persistence; User Actions; Remove RSE Performance Logging;
- DaveM - EclipseCon; Streams for Dstore;
- Kushal - Reassign target milestone for M5 open bugs; [api] bugs for Subsystem Streams, get rid of unnecessarydownload methods; Check for Macintosh for Unit Tests in Toronto; EFS; Unittests for Encodings; Talk to DaveD re Comm Server
- Martin - EclipseCon tutorial; Arrange a committer meeting at EclipseCon; Upload UA refactorings to Bugzilla; Bugzilla against CDT Internal; Migrate build to Ted's scripts; Migrate Commons.net to single-file-jar; Bugs & Unit Tests; Personal Interviews via Skype; Work on TM and RSE FAQ, improve Wiki and Website (how to contribute);
- Javier - Reassign target milestone for M5 open bugs; Improve SD
- Ted -
- Michael - Terminal Performance Improvements
- Uwe - Retargetable actions, Improved Refresh