Cosmos Architecture Meeting 01-May-08
These are the minutes for the Architecture Meeting for 5/1/08.
- 20 min: Talk about COSMOS UI architecture. Discuss chaining components to add logging, testing and security support. Presentation Slides (Sheldon Lee-Loy)
- 25 min: Continue the COSMOS Architectural discussions from April 24 (Jimmy Mohsin et al)
- Slides linked from this cosmos-dev message: 
- GOAL: We need to have FOUR pictures; we need a high level and a detail view for both the current and future state.
- Jimmy Mohsin will send a version prior to this meeting for review.
- What should we call the "Data Broker"? Is the term "COSMOS Broker" OK? We need to balance the renaming impact versus accuracy.
- We need to convey that the current state is oblivious to the type of Services being registered.
- We need to decide when / if the Domain will return.
- We need to determine a realistic timeframe for supporting multiple Brokers for scalability / performance considerations. I get asked this question a lot from the transactionally-intensive products...
- What is our position vis-a-vis WSDM / WEF for future releases?
- 15 min: i11 Issues (Sheldon Lee-Loy)
- Sheldon discussed some changes in the UI architecture
- Decoupling logic from UI code allows reuse
- Adding extensibility to support future enhancements
- The group liked the idea in general
- Lots of questions about the specifics of the data feeds and the API
- Ali pointed out the benefit of doing this for making mashups, since adopters will want that kind of flexibility
- Ali suggested using Dojo support instead of HTTP as the request
- Martin suggested adding more use cases
- Mark asked Sheldon to add more detail and bring it back to next week's call
- We decided to proceed with Jimmy's architecture discussion because we had already deferred it once, and wanted Mark's perspective on the diagrams.
- Jimmy went over the slides he sent to the group
- On the first slide, Mark suggested that the statement about any web service is too broad, should be "any MDR"
- David suggested making one of the data managers being the example of an MDR
- Jimmy asked if clients should be able to go through broker to make queries. Mark said we should not support this.
- Hubert presented the detailed architecture diagram he designed.
- Mark suggested that the database icon should be replaced with another application box (i.e. "Application 3").