COSMOS QA i9 Activities
- 1 COSMOS QA Activities for i9
- 2 Terminologies/Acronyms
- 3 Scope Definition
- 4 Iteration QA Entrance and Exit Criteria
- 5 i9 Test Cases
- 6 Resources & timeframe
- 7 TBD
- 8 Task Breakdown
- 9 Open Issues/Questions
COSMOS QA Activities for i9
This has been put together to address Bugzilla ER 216529.
The terminologies/acronyms below are commonly used throughout this document. The list below defines each term regarding how it is used in this document.
|Quality Expectations||Is a statement of some behaviour, characteristic or operational facility that a product must exhibit for it to be deemed ‘fit for purpose’. Quality expectations are normally grouped into four main categories: functional/behavioural, operational efficiency, inter operability factors; and admin/management factors (to control TCO).|
|Acceptance Criteria||This is a quantification of how a quality expectation is to be validated. For functional/behavioural quality expectations this is a simple Boolean test – it either works or it doesn’t. Hence, for most scope docs there is no need to specifically define functional acceptance criteria. However, other types of quality expectations – especially performance related areas – do require specific acceptance criteria because the quantification is normally some form of numeric threshold (with optional margin/tolerance) that states minimum levels of acceptable operational efficiency.|
The COSMOS quality expectations and the matching acceptance criteria, that would serve as a preamble to the COSMOS QA team while executing their work, were completed via ER 214576.
Since i9 is the first iteration to utilize the QA Expectations, we need to define the i9 QA activities upfront. This will enable us to translate the QA Expectations into an actionable series of steps that ensure QA coverage for i9. This will also serve as the QA plan for i9. Depending on how we execute the QA cycle this time around, we may append to the COSMOS Development Process.
QA Scope for i9 testing:
- Writing e2e regression test cases for i8 and i9 (with traceability to use cases)
- Updating COSMOS QA i9 Activities on Wiki
- Reviewing and understanding i9 ERs (http://wiki.eclipse.org/Cosmos1.0Features#Iteration_9_Enhancements)
- i9 weekly integration build smoke test on Linux
- i9 Test execution (Feb 25 to Mar 07, 2008):
- e2e testing on Windows xp, 2003 and Linux ES 5.0 (http://wiki.eclipse.org/COSMOS_i9_e2e_testing)
- i9 ERs specific JUnits inspection & Closure
- Execution of regression test cases mentioned in item #1. This will be done after Mar 07, 2008
- Attempt to perform basic operational efficiency tests (Basic scenario testing). This will be done after Mar 07,2008
In scope i9 ERs
Please refer to http://wiki.eclipse.org/Cosmos1.0Features#Iteration_9_Enhancements for the list of ERs that QA will need to test as part of the i9 testing phase that runs from February 25 thru March 7.
In scope platforms, OS's & configurations
Because i9 is a compressed iteration, Windows will remain the primary OS, with a "smoke test" on Linux.
For i9, QA will certify the following platforms:
- Microsoft Windows XP SP2
- Micorsoft Windows 2003 Server SP1
- RedHat Linux Enterprise Server 5.0 (Smoke test/Limited End2End testing only)
For i9, QA will cover the following configurations:
- One Management Domain and One Broker running on one machine
- 2 MDRs on Windows and 2 Data Managers on linux machine
- 2 MDRs on Linux and 2 Data Managers on windows machine
For i9, QA will use following softwares:
- Tomcat 5.5.25
- SUN JDK 1.5.0_13
- Firefox version (22.214.171.124)
- Internet Explorer (6.0.2900.2180.XP SP2)
- Eclipse 3.3.1
In scope and out of scope QA activities at the ER and iteration level
For i9, QA will complete (and ***not*** complete) the following activities:
- QA will not be doing build-related tasks. They will commence the i9 test phase on Februaury 25 with the following pre-requisites
- Since ER 215135 "JUnits Establish a process for running JUnits against a COSMOS build" will ***not*** be completed in i9, Development will run the JUnits against the weekly integration builds.
- The sub-team leads need to ensure that this stop gap activity happens in i9 until 215135 is completed sometime in i10.
- To reiterate, QA will commence the i9 testing phase with the KEY assumption that multiple weekly build have occurred, and ALL JUnits have been run against these weekly builds
- QA will verify that the JUnits or alternate testing mechanisms are in place for each of the i9 ERs listed above
- QA will ***not*** run the JUnits; they will simply verify that the JUnits have been run and this is documented in Bugzilla
- If any ER is missing the JUnits, QA will immediately punt the ER back to Development
- QA will run the end to end test as specified on http://wiki.eclipse.org/COSMOS_i9_e2e_testing
- QA will identify the platforms and configurations via Test Cases they will document below.
- QA does not have any responsibility for testing weekly integration builds, however QA will do minimal of a "smoke test" on Linux Platform.
- QA will not run the full JUnit suite. As stated above, this will be done by Development.
Scope of Smoke Test for Linux Platform
- Limited End2End testing : Build setup,Basic query execution tests,Statistical and Log report generation tests
- The weekly integration build testing will NOT be run on ALL platforms. They will run only on Windows. How do we address the lack of ongoing testing on additional platforms, i.e. Linux in i9? Suggestion from DW: Perhaps this is one place we might want to engage QA, to smoke test an integration build on Linux, since it doesn't appear that any developers are setup on that platform? We could define as minimal of a smoke test as makes sense given the timeframes?
Iteration QA Entrance and Exit Criteria
The following items need to be in place before the 2 week i9 QA phase can commence:
- A stable i9 build that has undergone multiple integration build during the course of the Development phase which ends on February 22, 2008
- The wiki page http://wiki.eclipse.org/COSMOS_i9_e2e_testing is completed (by Development)
The following items need to be in place before the 2 week i9 QA phase can be declared complete:
- All ERs should have JUnits or a manual TPTP test in place. If JUnits are not applicable to a given ER, alternative verification means need to be specified. To reiterate, QA are not expected to run the JUnits. In i9, this activity will be completed as part of the weekly iteration builds. In i10, this will be fully automated once ER 215135 is completed.
- The e2e tests for i9 (http://wiki.eclipse.org/COSMOS_i9_e2e_testing) are run against the final i9 build
- QA needs to publish a date by when they need the final i9 build. I believe they can do so once http://wiki.eclipse.org/COSMOS_i9_e2e_testing is complete.
- Validate that the use cases for the iteration are functional
i9 Test Cases
QA is preparing word document with End2End i9 Test cases and will provide the link shortly over here with an attachment to ER-216529.
Resources & timeframe
i9 QA will be completed by two dedicated CA resources. The i9 QA phase will run from February 25 thru March 7.
This section includes the tasks required to complete this enhancement.
- Jimmy Mohsin has generated this page to address bugzilla 216529
- The COSMOS team needs to identify the relevant section for this page.
- Kishore Adivishnu, representing the QA team, is supposed to complete this activity by Februrary 22, 2008. This is prior to the commencement of the QA phase for i9.
All reviewer feedback should go in the Talk page for 216529 "Define scope and detail the i9 QA activities".