BIRT PMC Minutes - Monday, May 12, 2008
< To: BIRT PMC Minutes
Monday, May 12, 2008 @ 10am Pacific.
- Paul Clenahan - BIRT PMC - Actuate Corporation
- Mike Fox - BIRT PMC - IBM Corporation
- Wenfeng Li - BIRT PMC Lead - Actuate Corporation
- Scott Rosenbaum - BIRT PMC - Innovent Solutions
- Jason Weathersby - BIRT PMC - Actuate Corporation
BIRT 2.3 Development
BIRT 2.3 RC0 (aka M7) is done and the team announced the availability of the release last week. We have now started development for RC1, which is targeted for May 20 for the BIRT code.
BIRT 2.3 is the next major release of BIRT and part of the Eclipse Ganymede Simultaneous Release. BIRT 2.3 is scheduled to be release in June 2008.
The Development Plan for BIRT 2.3 is available on the Eclipse BIRT Project Development Plan pages. The Milestone schedule for the release is available in the timeline section of the Ganymede project page (BIRT is a "+2" project in this schedule).
For a list of bugs assigned to the release, refer to Bugzilla: BIRT 2.3 Assigned Bugs in Bugzilla.
Bi-Directional Support (BiDi)
Core API level contribution has been checked into the BIRT codebase for BIRT 2.3. Mike Fox is going to pull together a summary on what user visibility functionality is available.
We will also now need to look at what post-BIRT 2.3 work will need to be done and when this should be scheduled.
For general background on this contribution, refer to the discussion of IBM's potential contribution of BiDi support in BIRT at the Feb 11, 2008 PMC meeting.
The contribution to the project has been submitted as is being tracked via Bugzilla:
BIRT Project Specifications (BPS)
The BIRT BPS page needs updating since a number of the BPSs are out of date, and there are missing BPSs for the BIRT 2.3 release. Since the team are heads down on the final stages of the BIRT 2.3 release right now, there is no time to make any changes at this point.
The team will look at this as a housekeeping exercise once the release is finished.
Webinar Series on BIRT Exchange:
BIRT Exchange is hosting a series of technical 30-minute webinars once every two weeks. Upcoming webinars are:
- Designing High Performance BIRT Reports - Friday, May 16th - Design for better performance
Previous Webinars are available in the BIRT Exchange DevShare area:
- Automated Report Delivery - Deploy BIRT with scheduling, security
- Using the BIRT Designer - Feature overview to get you started
- BIRT Scripting and Events - Solve complex reporting requirements
- Custom Data Sources - Access non-traditional data sources
- Interactive BIRT Reporting - Add interactivity to your reports
Other Upcoming Events:
- IBM Rational Software Development Conference 2008 on June 1-5, 2008 - Walt DisneyWorld Swan and Dolphin Hotel, California - 2 Sessions on BIRT
- Eclipse Live Webinar on June 24, 2008 - Online at Eclipse Live - BIRT 2.3 Overview and New Features
- Actuate International User Conference 2008 on August 4 - 6, 2008 - Red Rock Resort, Las Vegas, NV - Will Feature Many BIRT Sessions
- EclipseWorld 2008 on October 28-30, 2008 - Reston, VA - 2 Sessions on BIRT
|Developing an Eclipse BIRT XML Report Rendering Extension By Jason Weathersby, Iana Chatalbasheva, and Tom Bondur||March 2008||Developer.com|
Full list of major articles can be found on the Wiki page for BIRT Project Articles.
Other articles, tips and techniques, demos and other resoures can be found on the BIRT Exchange community site.