Architecture Council/Meetings/February 11 2010
|Meeting Title:||Architecture Council Monthly Meeting|
|Date & Time:|| Thursday February 11, 2010 at 1600 UTC / 0800 SFO / 1100 Ottawa / 1600 London / 1700 Berlin|
HTML | iCal
|Dial-in:|| NEW Canada 1-877-727-8553 toll free / 1-416-840-9801 caller paid|
NEW U.S. 1-866-394-4146 toll free / 1-480-629-1624 caller paid
NEW passcode 428029063
All AC Members are invited.
- PMC Reps please confirm attendance or list your delegate below. Every PMC is required to name a primary and backup delegate, and to ensure that one delegate attends the meeting.
|DTP:||Brian Payton|| |
|| TBD (DSDP-PMC),|
|STP:||Antoine Toulme||Oisin Hurley|
|TPTP:||Eugene Chan|| |
- Regrets: Oliver Cole (standing conflict), Wenfeng Li (standing conflict), Martin Oberhuber (vacation), Darin Wright (conflict), Markus Knauer (on a train)
Agenda / Notes
- Feel free to edit, but not during the call!
Review of Last Meeting
- Architecture Council/Meetings/January 14 2010
- (old) Wayne to ask EclipseCon PC/Donald if we can get a room for e4 Hack-a-thon (migration, creating plug-ins, etc.)
- (old) Wayne to discuss "e4 ready" marketing campaign with Ian.
- (old) Ed to tell Cloudsmith about bug 283745 Maven
- (old) Martin to file bug for asking Mik hyperlink Wikitext / crowdsourcing Docs handbook on the Architecture Council/Top Ten Project Development Practices page
- Andrew to follow up with more info for Martin about switching target platform docs in linuxtools
- Andrew to file bug for better documenting "git at Eclipse for dummiees" and add bug number to AC notes -> bug 299663
- Tim write up an initial wiki page with information for people to standardize on the tracing API
- Martin to investigate status of the Eclipse Nexus Project -> According to costa, the Nexus project "died on the vine" due to not getting enough interested parties. Kosta is in favor of improving Eclipse / Website infrastructure to make it simple enough for even small components to be a full project.
- Still open items moved to #Action Items
e4 Hackathon has changed into a e4 programming contest.
- bug 123878 format of help content
- Platform tracing API
- There will be a Planning Council meeting on Sunday at 2pm.
- Martin suggests doing an All-Council Meeting (PC, AC, RC) right after at 3pm.
- Don has some things to discuss in an all-council meeting
- Do we want an AC-only meeting in parallel to the PC at 2pm in a different room? - An AC BoF would be another option. The small "AC workgroup" to go over the AC bugzilla backlog was quite effective last year.
Common Builder (Athena)
- Status of documentation, how hard is it to get started?
- Who can help coming up with a "cookbook" for jumpstarting Athena builds at Eclipse?
e4 - current state of affairs
Self-hosting views in compatibility layer. Some new committers coming on board. Current state is generally good. People are seeing that there is value in e4. "Bozo bit" not turned on.
Need to bring up "e4 Ready" campaign during e4 evangelism call.
Recent thread on Tools PMC mailing list concerning incubators/GEF project.
Items for next meeting
Regular briefing on the status of e4.
We need to reduce our bug backlog, by actually coming to a common resolution on some. Here are the most recent ones:
- DaveC would like to discuss New Committer Guidelines; Scrum / Agile techniques
- bug 285074 - Dave Carver - Hudsonbuilder and write access to the cvs / svn repo
- bug 283745 - Maven Repository at Eclipse
- bug 288393 - Denis - Bugzilla Best Practices
- The art of project release naming - no bug yet ?!?
- AC Bugzilla backlog
- See also Architecture Council/Open Issues for overflow items that were not discussed
- News from the EMO and Councils ?
- (old) Martin to follow up on Architecture Diagrams idea
- (old) Michael to flesh out the Patterns idea and remind the EAC -- started Architecture Council/Top Ten Recommendations#Design Patterns, backed by EclipseCon tutorial proposals
- While these show how well-known GoF patterns are applied in Eclipse, Michael's idea was more to find and describe new patterns which are specific to Eclipse
- (old) Michael to draft an E-Mail about the "plugin granularity" idea, searching for people to lead the effort
- (old) Tools and Tech PMC's to encourage incubating grandfathered projects find a mentor; mentorless projects due to AC members quitting or falling dormant
- (old) Martin to add Eclipsecon meeting notes onto the wiki
- (old) Mik to create initial "architectural walkthrough" material for Mylyn -- 1 wiki page not too large, send link to the mailing list
- (old) Dave C work with Wayne on a "handbook" for project criteria for becoming a committer (referencing committer guidelines)
- (old) Dave C come up with a document how to save build resources
- (old) Dave C to try bugzilla UNCONFIRMED state
- (old) Wayne to ask Sonatype about Nexus test installation
- (old) Wayne to try doing a 3.6m2 API Report on Helios m2