Architecture Council/Meetings/April 14 2016
|Meeting Title:||Architecture Council Monthly Meeting|
|Date & Time:|| Thursday Apr 14, 2016 at 1100 Ottawa |
HTML | iCal
- 1 Attendees
- 2 Agenda / Notes
- 3 Action Items
- 4 Next Meeting
All AC Members are invited.
- PMC Reps please confirm attendance or list your delegate below. Every PMC is required to name a primary and backup delegate, and to ensure that one delegate attends the meeting.
|Tools:||Doug Schaefer|| |
- In attendance: Wayne Beaton, Marcel Bruch, Julien Vermillard (IoT PMC), Jim Hughes, Maximilian Koegel, Dani Megert, Martin O, Denis Roy (?), Doug Schaefer, Eike Stepper, Krum Tsvetkov, Lars Vogel
- Regrets: Jay Billings, Christian Campo, Jonas Helming, Mickael Istria, Martin Lippert, Adrian Mos, Alexander Nyssen, Pascal Rapicault
Agenda / Notes
Review of Last Meeting
Welcome New Members
- Jim Hughes joining for LocationTech PMC
- Mathematician working as a Software Developer, interested in Math underpinnings of GeoMesa (in the Hadoop Ecosystem)
- Getting that project through the EMO's IP Review, been doing some other work on Locationtech
- Started SFCurve, for distributed indexing; also got a proposal for GeoBench
- Julien Vermillard joining for IOT PMC
- Working for Sierra Wireless - device-to-server communication & security expert (authentication, encryption, ...)
- Project lead for lightweight M2M and committer on Wakaama and Californium
Wayne: New Member proposals
- Has some member candidates in mind from Locationtech, who would be valuable additions but not yet very well known outside their communities
- Concerned about not making the 50% support mark from 53 active members listed on Architecture_Council/Members_and_Mentors
- See Architecture_Council/Membership#How_Do_I_Become_A_Member_of_the_Architecture_Council
- The active members list hasn't been pruned in a while but would still be at 48 or so meaning a need for 24 support votes
- AI Wayne consider offline with members
- Draft document is here: https://www.eclipse.org/projects/handbook/trademarks.php
- There are links on the page to a bug; please discuss there.
- Want to get more consistent usage of the term "Eclipse" on homepages, and especially external websites (like Mosquito.org or Github)
- Want a public transparent discussion
- Jim: Dealing with the Eclipse.org homepage was problematic so far, external organizations have been easier to deal with
Lars: Mattermost Channel during meetings
- AI Wayne and Martin to join mattermost during discussions
- Missing a public list of work being worked on (as per message from Dani) - AI Wayne check with Paul
- Eclipse PMC was taken by surprise at some work happening - need to ensure there are committer resources for reviewing
- Would need a better channel for communication
- Mickael would be in a better position to discuss
- Lars: One obvious missing piece is asking projects, if projects actually want the work requested by the AC ?
- Wayne: FEEP should not be different than any other contribution - follow existing models
- Many list of items not claimed yet -- any need to change anything on the process ?
- Wayne: AC did exactly what they were asked to do by providing a list of high priority areas for work; defining specific work items was (and is) not in scope. Though, help is appreciated.
- Suggest a forum with Paul and Mickael, how to better define work that people can reasonably do
- Should the EMO put more focus on sustainable solutions: going the extra mile to do it right
- Wayne: should not be different than any other form of contribution. Project teams regularly take single patches or refuse to take large chunks of code without ongoing support or other long term consideration (e.g. APIs)
- Somebody who takes FEEP funding still has to play by the rules;
- Doug: Need to manage expectations on what we get out of the program .. as well as what bidders can get
- Martin so it sounds like there are learnings for now:
- It's aceeptable for a project to reject a FEEP contribution if it doesn't satisfy quality needs
- Projects should review proposals early and add constraints where necessary - in order to help bidders estimate size of the work
- AI Wayne suggest meeting time and invite interested parties
- Julien: as FEEP is primarily for IDE, why is it an AC topic and not a PMC one ?
- Doug: AC is across all the projects ... don't have the IDE body (yet) but would probably need it
- Martin: Keep AC as a "wide" body of attendees, fork out to subgroups as needed
Great Fixes for Neon
- Wayne queried the Git commit index to find contributions; will announce first 2 winners soon
- The Google Hangout worked so-so for Marcel and Martin
- Wayne: Concept was OK but need to work on the technology
- AI Wayne transcribe his notes to proper meeting minutes
- Wayne: We still have some challenge with mentoring - will need to talk in a follow-up meeting
- Mentoring is basically broken. Mentors are difficult to identify and mostly absent.
- The new incubation mailing list is showing promise, but there is more work to do.
- Wayne to dbl check on new member candidates
- Martin and Wayne to join Mattermost during AC Calls
- Wayne to fill in details of Trademarks doc
- Wayne to schedule a FEEP call
- Wayne to provide EclipseCon F2F minutes