Architecture Council/Meetings/April 14 2011

From Eclipsepedia

Jump to: navigation, search
Meeting Title: Architecture Council Monthly Meeting
Date & Time: Thursday April 14, 2011 at 1500 UTC / 0800 SFO / 1100 Ottawa / 1600 London / 1700 Berlin attention DST change
Html.gifHTML | Ical.gifiCal
Dial-in: NEW Canada 1-877-727-8553 toll free / 1-416-840-9801 caller paid
NEW U.S. 1-866-394-4146 toll free / 1-480-629-1624 caller paid
NEW passcode 428029063

Contents

Attendees

All AC Members are invited.

  • PMC Reps please confirm attendance or list your delegate below. Every PMC is required to name a primary and backup delegate, and to ensure that one delegate attends the meeting.
BIRT: Wenfeng Li Gary Xue
DTP: Brian Payton Linda Chan
Eclipse: Mike Wilson John Arthorne
Boris Bokowski
Modeling: Ed Merks Cédric Brun
Sven Efftinge
Mylyn: Steffen Pingel Mik Kersten
RT: Jeff McAffer Tom Watson
STP: Antoine Toulme Oisin Hurley
Technology: Gunnar Wagenknecht Wayne Beaton
Tools: Doug Schaefer
TPTP: Jonathan West
WTP: Tim deBoer Dave Carver
Neil Hauge


  • Signed-up: Chris Aniszczyk, Wayne Beaton, Linda Chan, Achim Loerke, Ed Merks, Kim Moir, Martin O, Andrew Overholt, Steffen Pingel, Doug Schaefer, Mike Wilson,
  • Regrets: Oliver Cole (standing conflict), Wenfeng Li (standing conflict), Doug Clarke, Neil Hauge (vacation), Tom Schindl, Tom Watson, David Williams
  • No-Show: John Arthorne, Boris Bokowski, Nick Boldt, Cédric Brun, Christian Campo, Dave Carver, Eugene Chan, Tim deBoer, Oisin Hurley, Kenn Hussey, Mik Kersten, Markus Knauer, Bernd Kolb, Jeff McAffer, Mike Milinkovich, Brian Payton, Pascal Rapicault, Mary Ruddy, Michael Scharf, Darin Swanson, Antoine Toulme, Gunnar Wagenknecht, Jonathan West, Oliver Wolf, Gary Xue

Agenda / Notes

  • Feel free to edit, but not during the call!

Review of Last Meeting

New Topics

  • Wayne: bug 337004 and children - Security Policies
  • Wayne: bug 342328 and children - EDP changes in response to Bylaw Changes (plus maybe some small additional changes on the way)
  • Both must be done by the end of quarter (end June) - draft TBD end April
    • bug 342642 Community Report - Need better understanding (Bylaws Draft?) what the Community Report is supposed to be ?
      • AI Wayne get drafts available and put on the bug

Infrastructure for navigating the Projects

  • Wayne: Help people navigate the projects at Eclipse - need a "Paragraph" from the Projects
    • Will create webpage based on existing info - asking AC to socialize with Projects, such that they improve their data in the Portal
    • Goal provide better navigation, eg find linkages between the projects
    • Ed: Keeping just the Modeling stuff / interrelations up-to-date is a fulltime job ... getting some help from itemis
    • Martin: Discussed "tag cloud" based navigation some while back
      • Wayne: typically "tagging" works for a couple months and then
    • Martin: Auto-generating semantic networks / links from fulltext docs - discussed a while back with the SMILA / Brox guys
      • AI Wayne: get in touch with SMILA, interested in eating our own dogfood .. might need lots of server power, but our datasets are fairly small

Vote Counting

  • Ed: Vote counting for Bylaws - somebody (AC?) to define a process for vote counting - Kim is interested
    • Some ranking is baked into the Bylaws, but it doesn't seem to be fully specified
    • Principle - "Everybody's votes should count equally" - Ed is interested in making a good change
    • AI Wayne talk to Mike when he returns from his trip, then prepare something, then report back with the AC

CM (git / SVN)

  • There was some discussion about maybe deprecating SVN
    • Wayne: Should be encouraging projects move to git - should be getting projects off CVS
    • State of egit - progressing well
    • zx: Do some Webpage where projects can sign up to migrate, and promote by the AC?
    • Mirroring happens on github - currently some manual work needed when a new repo is added
    • After Indigo is prime time to actually migrate
    • Kim: Read-only CVS for legacy builds after migration

Maven @ Eclipse progress

  • zx: Some work going on contributing a signing plugin contributed to dash project for doing the signing
    • bug 339915 Parent POM - not yet, but signing is the main blocker at the moment
    • bug 288644 name spaces for Maven artifacts - Wayne suggests involving the experts (Dave Carver)
    • Other related bugs bug 283745 and bug 337068

Action Items

  • Cleaned up old action items, see Architecture Council/Meetings/February 10 2011 for old stuff
  • (old) Martin to add Eclipsecon meeting notes onto the wiki
  • (old) Tim write up an initial wiki page with information for people to standardize on the tracing API
  • Martin revise the AC Wiki to make it easier to find the New Member Process. More links on homepage. More usage of categories.
  • Martin bug 315210 Make the AC mailing list open / moderated

Next Meeting