Jump to: navigation, search

Architecture Council/Meetings/April 11 2013

Meeting Title: Architecture Council Monthly Meeting
Date & Time: Thursday April 9, 2013 at 1500 UTC / 0800 SFO / 1100 Ottawa / 1600 London / 1700 Berlin attention DST change
Html.gifHTML | Ical.gifiCal
Dial-in: Let's use the Foundation's Asterisk setup for this call:
  • Ottawa (local call in Ottawa) 1-613-454-1403
  • North America (toll free) 1-877-369-7806
  • Germany (local call anywhere in Germany) 49-692-2224-6059
  • France (local call anywhere in France) 33-17-070-8535
  • UK (toll free) 0800-033-7806

Participant conference extension: 701 then enter pin: 51968

  • SIP clients can call 701@asterisk.eclipse.org, then enter pin 51968.

Attendees

All AC Members are invited.

  • PMC Reps please confirm attendance or list your delegate below. Every PMC is required to name a primary and backup delegate, and to ensure that one delegate attends the meeting.
BIRT: Wenfeng Li Wenbin He
DTP: Brian Payton Linda Chan
Eclipse: Mike Wilson John Arthorne
Boris Bokowski
Modeling: Ed Merks Cédric Brun
Sven Efftinge
Eike Stepper
Mylyn: Steffen Pingel Mik Kersten
RT: Christian Campo Tom Watson
Doug Clarke
Ian Bull
SOA: Adrian Mos Marc Dutoo
Sebastien Gandon
Technology: Gunnar Wagenknecht Wayne Beaton
Tools: Doug Schaefer
WTP: Chuck Bridgham Dave Carver
Neil Hauge

All Attendees

  • Regrets: Ian Bull (might be late), Christian Campo, Chris Aniszcyk, Doug Clarke, Sebastien Gandon, Markus Knauer, Chuck Bridgham
  • Attendees: Eike Stepper, Doug Schaefer, Achim Loerke, Martin O, Krum Tsvetkov, David Williams, Kenn Hussey, Neil Hauge, Michael Scharf, Benjamin Cabe, Wayne Beaton, Steffen Pingel, Gunnar Wagenknecht


Agenda / Notes

  • Feel free to edit, but not during the call!

Review of Last Meeting

New Topics

Development Process

  • Wayne / Mike: Was nice to get remembered on the "Three Laws of Eclipse", maybe just make that more obvious, maybe send to committers more frequently
    • AI Wayne make the link more prominent
  • Eike: First 2-3 chapters in EDP seem to be on a meta-level; put all the "meta chapters" into one preamble, in order to make the real contents more obvious
  • Wayne: Process of changing the EDP - so far we've had a review with iterative changes once a year, working in the items from the Community/Process backlog
    • How to work on a draft ? Wiki ? Git Repo ? - Accepts Input
  • Martin: Continue collecting
    • AI All Review the EDP and the backlog until next month, add change requests to bugzilla
    • Next meeting we will review the backlog and decide on reboot or incremental change.


Messages to the Committers mailing list

  • Maybe send a regular message from the AC once every month to the committers mailing list
  • Martin thinks AC members should be empowered and encouraged to send a message to the eclipse-committers mailing list ... as long as traffic is not too much ... it's a moderated list anyways
    • Wayne - some coordination on timing makes sense

CLA's and git signed-off-by

  • bug 401236 CLA's and git signed-off-by Status
    • EMO using Gerrit to support this, Gerrit has support for CLA's built in (fully automatic)
    • CLA will be valid for 3 years
    • Non-committers have to have their credentials in the Author field, and the same one in the signed-off-by.
    • It's still possible to provide commit records with a bogus E-Mail address, this is not going to be checked
      • Already today, it's possible to sign up on bugzilla with a bogus E-Mail address, so there's no change to what we do today - it still needs to pass the committer sniff test
    • CLA process adds more navigatability between the git commit record and the CLI
    • Signed-off-by adds comfort to the IP Advisory Council to have the contributor understand what they are doing (by making that little extra step)

How to contribute docs

  • bug 397644 Howto contribute docs / templates
    • Start with a prominent example rather than long-winded discussion of recommendations
    • Going for both Wiki and CONTRIBUTING.md ?
      • CONTRIBUTING.md should have at least a pointer to more detailed information

EclipseCon

  • Bling IDE - hopefully going to post some videos
  • YouTube EclipseCon channel with keynotes, maybe promote a bit more ?
  • Martin would like to see more drive towards publishing the slides (or recording the sessions)
  • Wireless worked really nicely this time !

General Topics

  • Eclipse Infrastructure - git, Gerrit, Maven, Hudson, Bugzilla, ...
  • Updates from the Board or the EMO

Action Items

  • Cleaned up old action items, see Architecture Council/Meetings/February 10 2011 for old stuff
  • (old) Martin to add Eclipsecon meeting notes onto the wiki
  • (old) Tim write up an initial wiki page with information for people to standardize on the tracing API
  • (old) Martin revise the AC Wiki to make it easier to find the New Member Process. More links on homepage. More usage of categories.
  • (old) Martin bug 315210 Make the AC mailing list open / moderated

Next Meeting