Jump to: navigation, search

Aperi SNIA Production Ready Task Force Workgroup

Aperi Wiki Home

Dial-in number:

Toll Free: 877-421-0030 ; International: 770-615-1247 ; Passcode: 813417

Default schedule:

- Every Two Weeks, Friday 2-3pm PT/5-6pm ET

The Agenda will be posted prior to the next call.

Upcoming meetings:

Next meeting: Friday, October 10, 2008.

Friday, October 24, 2008.

Friday, November 7, 2008.

Friday, November 21, 2008.

Friday, December 5, 2008.

Friday, December 19, 2008.

Agenda

  • Go over the SNIA PRTF Feedback
  • If time permits, we'll look into setting direction; which tasks to take on, etc.

Key Documents Under Discussion

Work Page

Minutes from previous meetings:

2008/10/24

  • Participants
  • Martine Wedlake
  • Duane Baldwin
  • Notes
  • Discuss SNIA Feedback (see work page)
  • Discuss Aperi work items for 2009

2008/10/10

  • Participants
  • Martine Wedlake
  • Notes
  • Discuss SNIA Feedback (see work page)
  • Discuss Aperi work items for 2009

2008/09/26

  • Participants
  • Martine Wedlake
  • Dave Wolfe
  • Notes
  • Discuss the results of the client reviews for MAP
  • Discuss Aperi work items for 2009.
  • Martine's List
  • Aperi Lite
  • Componentised units of function mashed together a la portals.
  • SMI-S Compliant (avoid vendor uniqueness)
  • No persistent storage (no probes)
  • Element Manager focus -- supports SMB market (simple, simple, simple!)
  • Includes interesting "new" profiles like HDR, Thin Provisioning, Replication Services, Green Performance Statistics, etc.
  • SMI Tools
  • Use the Aperi Lite framework to create specific tools aimed at SMI Lab
  • Indication recorder
  • Configuration capture and duplication(snapshot for SMI-S?)
  • Dave's List
  • Increase tie-ins with other projects for LIC/SSO.

2008/09/12

  • Participants
  • Martine Wedlake
  • Duane Baldwin
  • Al Heitman
  • Notes
  • We talked about ways to get more people involved in the client reviews of SMI-S.

2008/08/01

  • Participants
  • Martine Wedlake
  • Dave Wolfe
  • Duane Baldwin
  • Kevin Webster
  • Notes
  • We discussed the Aperi Lite Pitch:
  • A set of client-side components that can be verified as SMI-S compliant.
  • These components are integrated into a real-time element-manager application that we'll call Aperi Lite
  • The Aperi Lite can be used by end-users, but the real value is in showing client vendors a reference implementation that uses our Aperi components.
  • These components can provide early adopter value for vendors trying out new profiles (e.g. view classes, thin provisioning, etc.) -- essentially forming a test-bed for new profiles.
  • Martine agreed to write a vision document and work with Dave and Kevin to ensure that we can draft up the roadmap and features/requirements.
  • Duane will look into the possibility to have Aperi participate in the SMI-Lab; this would allow us to ensure that our components are compliant with SMI-S (across a large vendor community) and allow us to form the basis for test-bed components for new profiles [Martine to send note outlining proposal].

2008/06/20

  • Participants
  • Al Heitman
  • Duane Baldwin
  • Martine Wedlake
  • Notes
  • Went over notes from meeting with SNIA PRTF.
  • Martine will add entry to work page with specific things that Aperi can do that came out of the meeting and we'll use that list for the next Aperi PRTF workgroup meeting.

2008/05/09

  • Participants
  • Dave Wolfe
  • Al Heitman
  • Martine Wedlake
  • Notes
  • The slides have not been completed yet; so nothing to go over. Martine will send out slides to folks in email prior to presenting them to SNIA. Martine still working on scheduling time with SNIA PRTF.
  • We decided to temporarily suspend the meetings until we have the walk-through with SNIA with the set of feedback/comebacks from that meeting.

2008/04/25

  • Participants
  • Duane Baldwin
  • Dave Wolfe
  • Al Heitman
  • Craig Laverone
  • Martine Wedlake
  • Notes
  • We went through the last of the items with a lot of attention spent on where Aperi can help the host based profiles and help increase SMI-S adoption by providing re-usable components that use SMI-S for other products which want to leverage SMI-S.
  • Next steps are for Martine to contact the chairs of the SNIA Production Ready Task Force and ask them how they'd like us to proceed with the material; e.g., simple power point, white paper, meeting, etc.

2008/03/14

  • We added a few items to the list of problems and categorized them into three rough categories: Specification/SMI-S Issues, Technology Issues and Implementation/Adoption Issues.
  • Next Steps:
  • Continue to add items to the list and categorized them. We need broader input than we have had -- only a handful of people have participated in the workgroup to date, and we really want to try to represent a complete view of Aperi membership. Please send me (martinew@us.ibm.com) your ideas to add, or edit the wiki.
  • Prioritise the list.
  • Figure out where Aperi can help. For example, providing HDR support in Aperi can help drive momentum in industry, or providing client support can help test providers, etc.

2008/02/29

  • We went over the initial list of items to understand what has already been captured.
  • The team will now think up new items to add to the list and send them to Martine.
  • In our next meeting, we'll start to determine categories of items to group the issues into.