Jump to: navigation, search

Aperi Development Status Meeting 05/14/07

Aperi Wiki Home Aperi Meetings Aperi Development Meetings

Attendees:

Brocade (John Crandall), IBM (Brenda Haynes, Craig Laverone, Chris King, Christoph Reichert, Dave Wolfe, Greg McBride, Hans Lin, Rodica Ciurea, Simona Constantin, Todd Singleton, Tom Guinane), LSI (Jenny Monesson), Yotta Yotta (Javier Lozano)

Minutes:

  • Project Leader Notes:
    • Aperi webcast
    • SAN Simulator contribution
      • There were no negative responses to contributing this code, so Tom will start Eclipse Legal process to do so.
  • Release Engineer Notes (Todd):
    • Build status:
      • We will be posting builds at the Eclipse web site from now on
  • Aperi Downloads
  • Project Schedule:
    • Latest Schedule Updates made in the file.
    • Development activites:
    • R0.3 status/next steps:
      • Chris is completing the Release Notes. He is targeting to have them ready later today.
      • There are no major or critical severity bugzillas left
      • Hans has one database issue left that he needs to discuss with Prasenjit. He will inform Chris of the decision, in case the documentation needs to be changed.
      • Install instructions are ready to go
      • Verification of install instructions – Christoph has volunteered to test this.
      • Todd will do a build without the third party code and make available.
      • Dave will put out on Eclipse and an append to Aperi-dev
    • R0.4:
      • Simona is about 20% into her testing activity
      • Rodica is about 30% complete with the GUI changes, but needs to do more investigation in into the report area to understand if the DB needs to be changed or if the existing tables and columns created by the proxy data agent are sufficient.
      • Christoph has created the draft of the Linux article. It needs to be submitted to the magazine by Wednesday.
      • John will get with Prasenjit this week to discuss a number of items and then will provide Tom with a task list to be entered into the project schedule.
  • IDVT
    • Test Status
    • Key defects:
      • Hans has one database issue left that he needs to discuss with Prasenjit.
  • ID
    • Release Notes for 0.3
    • The installation instructions for Aperi v0.3 are available for review at: http://www.eclipse.org/aperi/documentation/r3/install.php These installation instructions provide information about:
      • Planning for Aperi
      • Installing Aperi files (including third-party files)
      • Configuring Aperi
      • Starting and shutting down Aperi
      • Uninstalling Aperi
      • Performing post-installation configuration (wih the new Configuration Utility)
    • Comments, suggestions, and edits are welcome for both. You can respond through aperi-dev@eclipse.org or by filing a bug report.
  • Action Items
]-
Item Owner Target Status
Third Party Dependency Questionnaire Tom ongoing Questionnaires submitted 9/6. - Utilizing the IP Log to track the individual IPZilla entries for each Third Party Contribution Questionnaire. Tom has submitted CQ’s for R0.3, however, in discussions with Eclipse legal, some modifications need to be made. See IP Log for new updates on this.
Obtain two mentors Tom 4/30/07 Per new development process rules, we need to obtain two project mentors from the Eclipse Architecture Council. The AC is listed here:

http://www.eclipse.org/org/foundation/council.php but Tom has asked Bjorn for larger candidate list. Bjorn is building a list. Tom has started a list of potential mentor names. Please take a look. Tom asked for other names. We will pick this up after R0.3 ships.

Investigate technology to run the webcast and demo Tom 4/9/07 Currently investigating three companies:

WebEx http://www.webex.com/ ON24 http://www.on24.com/ Readytalk http://www.readytalk.com/ Getting quotes for a Single 1 hour presentation (PP slides and demo) Q & A session (moderated) 1-3 speakers 25 - 50 attendees playback available afterward Tom has contacted all three companies. The results of the investigation are located here on the wiki: Webcast Options. Need assistance with demo. Looking for volunteers.

Conform to new incubation guidelines <NEW> Tom 4/30/07 The new

new guidelines. Items 1-3 are addressed. Christoph has also renamed the bundles and features so we now comply with items 5 and 6. The only item (4) left to do is put the word ‘incubation’ in our download material. This will be done for 0.3. Do we need to do this retroactively? Tom to ask Eclipse legal. The response from Anne Jacko is that we are clean and compliant and no retroactive work needs to be done. Closing this item.

Linux New Media AG article Christoph  ? Christoph has sent out a draft for the team to review. Please look at it and respond on aperi-dev. Christoph has created the draft of the Linux article. It needs to be submitted to the magazine by Wednesday.
  • Open Forum
    • Javier’s team from Yotta Yotta has downloaded the code and is trying to figure out how to utilize the implementation.
    • LSI (Engenio) has downloaded the code and is trying it out. Jenny stated that the SAN Simulator code will be a great addition to the Aperi project and will help greatly with testing.
    • Brocade – John is working on his items and will meet with Prasenjit to resolve the DB issues.
  • Other:
    • Document Control
    • Lessons Learned for release 0.3:
      • Freeform discussion to understand what worked well and what areas we can improve for the future. Topics to include, but are not limited to:
        • requirements and planning
        • implementation / code
        • information development
        • third party components
        • integration / build
        • test
        • availability
        • tools; cvs, bugzilla, etc.
      • Items already suggested:
        • IDVT Build process: During IDVT, we need to have one person responsible for the builds and a quick ‘acceptance’ test needs to be done for each platform.
        • Review the IDVT reporting charts after R0.3 to make sure they are conveying the needed information.
        • Make use of Bugzilla version field
      • New items from this meeting:
        1. We need to look at the process we use to look at requirements for releases and how we analyze them. (Dave)
        2. We also need a similar process once the content of release has been determined. How to define the content of each milestone, how we determine testing, etc. (Dave)
        3. Need to give ourselves more time for testing at the end of the process (Tom)
        4. We need an established procedure (checkbox) for the final build and test. (Dave)
        5. From the IDVT standpoint we were very late in the game for code integration and final build. We need to plan a two to three week buffer to absorb problems. This issue has been consistent for the last couple of releases. (Hans)
        6. Since we are line item driven, what does it mean to be complete with a line item? Need to define this. (Todd)
        7. We need someone dedicated to reviewing or answering questions for release notes or install instructions. (Chris)
        8. We need to identify any third party code we are using as part of the DCUT exit so that CQ’s can be investigated and submitted early. (Tom)
        9. Automated build and test process: We need to put together a self contained test system. Every night the build runs, it gets copied to a location, installed on all platfroms, and basic operational tests are run to indicate build is worthy.
        10. (related to previous one) We should test builds with the new SAN simulator to know the build is decent. (Dave)
        11. Risk reduction of new technology – what can we do to help prevent finding issues late in the cycle? We always have a risk with early adoption of a technology. A factor to consider at planning time is the complexity of what we are doing. We need to plan appropriate timing based on complexity into the schedule / risk plan. Identify ‘at-risk’ items up front and have a mitigation plan for them if we run into sever problems. (Tom/Dave)
        12. We need to distinguish between the core functionality of our offering and the new things in our planning. (Dave)
        13. SNIA 2006 end user council report - Utilize this to answer some of our questions. Put a link in Aperi Dev (if this is a SNIA item for general consumption) or have someone review and talk to it. (Javier)
          • Javier volunteered to take this on.
    • Next Meeting will be on Monday, May 21st