This page contains information and documents produced during the "What is In a Build" Symposium at Eclipse Summit Europe 2010.
Many thanks to John Gunnarsson, Purple Scout AB, for producing diagrams.
The source of the diagrams is found here: Media:Process.EAP.zip
Target Platform Breakout Session
- assumption: target platform is used to define the universe for my project
- especially the .target file
- .target file format is internal, there is no API and no clear definition about functionality -> makes it difficult for build systems to interpret .target files correctly
- used for compilation, for running and for testing - but often different target platforms are needed
- Du we need scoping for dependencies (similar to dependency scopes in maven)?
- workaround: define multiple target platforms for your project
- reuse target definitions
- reference another target definition in my target definition file
- sort of target fragments (e.g. define target fragment with EMF bundles but without Eclipse platform)
- Target platform editor insufficient
- support for slicer mode and multiple platforms
- adding bundles (today, you can only add features)
- support multiple P2 repos per location (is supported in .target file but not by editor)
- -> PDE contributions needed
- multiple target definitions per workspace
- e.g. per project, per group of projects
Tycho Breakout Session
Some Tycho pain points, in no particular order:
- How to Release - use tycho versions plugin (with care) ?
- Product / Application Builds - Pascal says YES (from .product file using eclipse-application mojo) eclipse-application-new-something (still in progress; may be released as new mojo or replace eclipse-application)
- Source feature/bundles - Pascal says NO, not working. Rumours abound - supposed working for egit source plugins (but can't yet generate source features)
- pom to manifest synchronization - use tycho versions plugin? Will this need to synch ever go away (that is, pom.xml need not include a <version>
- documentation is lacking or out of date
- p2 artifacts in a m2 repo -- not yet doable [b3 aggregator can do a hybrid p2-m2 repo], though SAP has a hackaround to allow this in Nexus
- no support for remote zipped repos (p2 problem) - again, SAP/Nexus hackaround
- p2 sucks for network support / proxies / mirrors, so Tycho builds can fail w/o ability to be restarted (like Maven), and sometimes require ~/.m2 cache to be purged to clean out zero-length files pulled from bad mirrors