- 1 THIS IS A DRAFT PROPOSAL AND NOT AN OFFICAL WTP PROPOSAL YET.
- 2 Background
- 3 Introduction
- 4 Project Description
- 5 Goal
- 6 Scope
- 7 Features
- 8 Perspectives and Views
- 9 Extension Points
- 10 Project Organization
- 11 Mentors
- 12 Relation to other Eclipse projects and other open source projects
THIS IS A DRAFT PROPOSAL AND NOT AN OFFICAL WTP PROPOSAL YET.
The Visual XML Editor is a proposed project under the Web Tools Project.
According to the Eclipse Development Process, this proposal is intended to declare the intent and scope of the Visual XML Editor project as well as to gather input from the Eclipse community. You are invited to comment on and/or join the project.
XML is being used more and more in document file formats. Such formats as Docbook, and DITA have been used to help provide a common format for document meta data. It helps separate the content from the presentation. As word processor formats move to XML like OpenOfficeXML and OpenDocument, it becomes more critical to have a WYSIWYG interface for these file formats. Most users that have to write books, articles, and other print related material don't want to deal with the tag markups for the files, but they want the convience and separation of presentation that these formats provide.
Perspectives and Views
We propose this project should be undertaken as an incubator project with the Web Tools project.
Need WTP Mentors.
- John Krasnay - VEX creator - need background
- Ed Burnette - VEX committer - need background
- John Austin - VEX committer - need background
- David Carver (XSL Tooling Committer) - David is an XML Data Architect at Standards for Technology in Automotive Retail. He is also an eclipse committer on the XSL Tooling project.
Initial Code Contribution
The initial code contribution comes from the sourceforge project, Visual Editor for XML.
Licensing and Intellectual property
All code is being relicensed under the terms of the Eclipse Public License. All committers have agreed to these relicensing terms.
- Standards for Technogoy in Automotive Retail is interested in adopting a potential Visual XML Editor. This would provide a more users friendly mode of working with Docbook related files.
Visual Editor for XML already has a large user community that covers mainly the document authoring side of the XML community. It already has the ability to edit Docbook and DITA files in a WYSIWYG editing mode. This also has other potential users from the eclipse community, particularly those that have to create the eclipse standardized project plan format, as the editor has the ability to visually edit any XML. Other XML document formats can be supported like Open Office XML, and Open Document Text. There is wide potential for this community to increase as potential with in the eclipse community.
With in Eclipse, Eclipse Corner articles could benefit from the visual XML editor project as it would provide a nice user friendly way to write and create eclipse corner articles.
Tentative Development plan
Relation to other Eclipse projects and other open source projects
- XSL Tools (incubator) - the output of the XML can be run through XSL Tools stylesheets for transformations into HTML, PDF, or other dita or docbook formats.
- DITA Open Toolkit - http://dita-ot.sourceforge.net/ - Output can be run through the DITA open toolkit to generate HTML, PDF or other dita support formats.
- DocBook Project - http://docbook.sourceforge.net/ - Maintains a set of stylesheets that can be used to generate the final documentation.