Notice: this Wiki will be going read only early in 2024 and edits will no longer be possible. Please see: https://gitlab.eclipse.org/eclipsefdn/helpdesk/-/wikis/Wiki-shutdown-plan for the plan.
Models and metamodels are all stored uniformly in the so-called VPM model space, which provides a very flexible and general way for capturing languages and models on different meta-levels and from various domains (or technological spaces).
Special features of the VPM model space (not supported by EMF) allows to
- enumerate all instances of a metamodel element (in addition to access the class from an instance model element)
- navigate references (relations) in both directions
- assign multiple types for a model element (multi-domain editing)
- reliable and simultaneous manipulation of metamodels and models (to enable generic / higher-order transformations)
This model space can be populated by various importer plugins including support for
- BPEL and other business process modeling notations
- various domain-specific models (using XML or EMF-based model representations)