Platform UI/Multi-instance Properties View
Ideas/Use cases/Requirements for multi-instance Properties View (PV) bug 248103:
- Pin PV to current selection (stop following selection)
- Inherit parents settings (For PV org.eclipse.ui.part.WorkbenchPart.getPartProperties() might be an option)
- Inherit parents input (requires API to get the Input from the parent)
- Setting parents state/input requires additional API whereas freezing (pinning) the parent and opening a "fresh" PV wouldn't require any additional API
- The console view for example gets the parents content in org.eclipse.ui.internal.console.ConsoleView.consolesAdded(IConsole)
- New one has focus?
- Open the new view either on the same stack or else where? (If the user wants to compare two objects, a stacked view doesn't fit)
- Back and forward buttons to navigate between the property view instances
- Multiple PV instances are still restorable?
- Open the properties view from the context menu of the current selection (show in) (Object id might be used for secondary view id).
- When a second view is opened from the original view, what should happen? Should the original stop following selection or should the second one?
|View||Open secondary instance by||New view shows parent's content||Same "input" opens new view|
|Pin parent and rerun search||no||no|
|Pin and call Team > Show History on a different resource||no||yes|
|Can be opened explicitly||yes||?|