Planning Council/September 4 2013
|Meeting Title:||Planning Council Conference Call|
|Date & Time:||Wednesday, September 4, 2013, at 1200 Noon Eastern|
|Dial in:|| (See Asterisk service for complete details on SIP, potential new numbers, phone mute commands, etc.)
Phone Numbers: (Check Asterisk/Numbers for more or current phone numbers.)
Members and Attendees
Note: "Inactive" refers to Strategic Members or PMCs we have not heard from for a while, and have been unable to convince to participate. Those members can become active again at any time. Contact David Williams if questions.
Note: feel free to correct any errors/omissions in above attendance record.
Y = Yes, attended
N = No, did not
R = regrets sent ahead of time
D = delegated
X = not expected
- Two (known, approved) exceptions to "new features in SR1": Linux Tools, Stardust
- Any issues?
- Do we have agreement on the Luna Milestone/Release schedule: Luna/Simultaneous_Release_Plan#Schedule
- Topics for possible discussion:
- Who should we scold the most for not communicating well? :)
- Change policy on disabling all in M1 to require "actively joining"?
- Related to Wayne's proposal on new "how to join" method: http://dev.eclipse.org/mhonarc/lists/eclipse.org-planning-council/msg02190.html
- Key aspects:
- Projects to send note to cross-project list. (How to handle "individual projects" vs. those that release as a "group", e.g. WTP?, Platform?)
- Planning Council (or, Wayne) enters their "entry" and +n date in database.
- Deadline? M4 seems "late" for those already in? We've said "once in, always in". Hence, how does this interact with "disabling in aggregation"?
- Should "we" say anything about Java 5 vs. Java 6? (Have we already?)
- Should we revisit the policy about "release one month prior to SR"?
- How can (or should) we better capture what new features are in an SR for adopters awareness?
On going discussions
[Can we turn this first one into an action item, owned by someone?]
- Do we need, or how can we help enable, "more frequent releases"? Including what, exactly, that means. Such as, currently projects can release whenever they want, but the issue seemed to be on EPP packages and/or "prime real estate" of "Eclipse Foundations Downloads" page?
- Doug mentioned taking over releng role? (Was going to work on prototype before making specific proposal) [Doug]
Progress on Action Items
- Editing of "Requirements Document"? (Dani and Neil)
- GSoC project for "Development Channel"? (Wayne)
- Improved "aggregator examples/doc". (dw -- no progress).
- [Orbit plan "by end of August". (dw -- no progress -- will likely be late, still "in September")]
- Need to improve Luna wiki page (dw)
For reference, see Planning_Council/Juno_retrospective.
- what worked:
- what could be better:
- October 2, 2013 - Regular First Wednesday Meeting
- EclipseCon face-to-face follow-through action items. For original meeting notes, see Planning_Council/March_24_2013 and for discussion leading to action items, see Planning_Council/April_10_2013. For last status update, see Planning_Council/May_8_2013.