Skip to main content
Jump to: navigation, search

Planning Council/October 3 2018

< Planning Council
Revision as of 12:06, 3 October 2018 by Nboldt.redhat.com (Talk | contribs) (Attendance)

Logistics

Meeting Title: Planning Council Conference Call
Date & Time: Wednesday, Oct 3, 2018, at 11:00 EDT
Dial in: Topic: Planning Council Meeting

Time: this is a recurring meeting Meet anytime

Join from PC, Mac, Linux, iOS or Android: https://eclipse.zoom.us/j/928841320

Or iPhone one-tap :

   US: +16699006833,,928841320#  or +14086380968,,928841320# 

Or Telephone:

   Dial(for higher quality, dial a number based on your current location):
       US: +1 669 900 6833  or +1 408 638 0968  or +1 646 876 9923 
       Canada: +1 647 558 0588 
       France: +33 (0) 1 8288 0188 
       Germany: +49 (0) 30 3080 6188 
       United Kingdom: +44 (0) 20 3695 0088 
       Switzerland: +41 (0) 31 528 0988 
       Sweden: +46 (0) 8 4468 2488 
       Denmark: +45 89 88 37 88 
       Netherlands: +31 (0) 20 241 0288 
   Meeting ID: 928 841 320
   International numbers available: https://eclipse.zoom.us/zoomconference?m=DufCm8dm7aEOYkLMWpY6qLgJMUtWhOnf 

Members

Temporary Planning Council Chair: Nick Boldt Planning Council Chair: Melanie Bats (returns Dec 2018)

Eclipse Foundation

  • Wayne Beaton
  • Frederic Gurr
  • Mikael Barbero

Strategic Members

  • CA Technologies
  • CEA LIST
  • Ericsson AB (Marc-Andre Laperle)
  • IBM (Thomas Watson)
  • itemis AG (Alexander Nyssen)
  • Obeo (Melanie Bats)
  • Oracle (Neil Hauge)
  • Red Hat, Inc. (Nick Boldt)
  • Robert Bosch GmbH
  • SAP SE (Stephan Merker)

PMC Representatives

  • Business Intelligence and Reporting Tools (BIRT) PMC (Gary Xue)
  • Data Tools Platform PMC (Brian Payton)
  • Eclipse Cloud Development PMC (Martin Lippert)
  • Eclipse Project PMC (Dani Megert)
  • IoT
  • LocationTech Technology
  • Eclipse Modeling Project PMC (Ed Merks)
  • Mylyn (Application Lifecycle Tools) PMC (Sam Davis)
  • PolarSys
  • Eclipse Runtime Project (RT) PMC
  • Eclipse Science
  • Service Oriented Architecture PMC (Adrian Mos)
  • Technology PMC (Chris Aniszczyk)
  • Tools Project PMC (Aleksandar Kurtakov)
  • Eclipse Web Tools Platform Project (WTP) PMC (Carl Anderson)

Previous meeting minutes

  • Review previous meeting minutes if you'd like. That is, review them before the meeting, but if questions or issues with previous minutes, this would be a good time to bring them up.

Attendance

Nick Boldt, Frederic Gurr, Martin Lippert, Pierre Charles David, Tom Watson, Dani, Mikael Barbero, Alex K

Agenda

  • CQ submission deadline
  • Nov 28 - IP log submission deadline
  • Dec 5 - Review and N&N due
  • Dec 19 - Release reviews
  • Dec 19 - Eclipse SimRel 2018-12 GA
  • [Wayne] Opt-in rules: announcement requirement? join-in/drop-out deadline?

Bonus Bikeshedding Topic

  • [Wayne] Eclipse Placeholder IDE for Java Developers, 2018-12 Edition" is created from the "Eclipse Placeholder Simultaneous Release": what could we use for Placeholder?

Regrets

Notes

Schedule, Dates, Opt-in vs. Opt-out

Dani/Wayne: Rather than opting in, we throw everyone out (disable all aggregator files) and they re-add themselves if they're not a new project.

Fred: We used to do this, but because some projects didn't reply in time, this broke some M1 builds. We decided to opt-out instead of opt-in to avoid needlessly broken early builds.

Wayne: I can't recall which approach we prefer.

Dani: what's wrong with using the release record for opt-in?

Wayne: Even simpler than having to update release record, we would just have this opt-in recorded in aggregator files.

Dani/Wayne: we should enforce no /latest/ URLs in aggregator files, so it's more obvious that people are opting in, contributing new builds.

Wayne: if you're new, you must announce yourself. Existing projects w/ breaking changes should announce those changes (eg., platform 4.10 dropping 32-bit support).

AI: Wayne: add a new date to the simrel schedule for when an announcement is send to cross-projects@, to report who we think is participating. If URLs are found w/ /latest/ or snapshot, they should be disabled?

AI: Wayne: send note to cross-projects@ to announce not opting in

Fred: auditing will be in place to prevent late changes / new features being added after M3, eg., as simple as disabling jenkins jobs?

AI: Wayne: update "ASAP" re: "Create your release record (for new releases)". Actual date is on/before Oct 19.

AI: Wayne: create a wiki page for N&N so projects can choose to post their content. Deadline 2 weeks before GA (Dec 5). Offer of help from Lakshmi?

AI: Dani: to follow up if Wayne doesn't find Lakshmi's email

New projects must join by M1, Oct 19 (not Oct 5 as previously suggested).

Bikeshedding

2 questions from the Foundation to solve:

  • TLP rename
  • simrel rename


Dani: (for TLP) show me the rules where it says the name must be trademarkable

Alex: who is responsible for maintaining this doc? how can we get it changed/evolved?

AI: Wayne to produce documentation re: rules and send to planning-council list

ECE Planning Council Meetup?

Dani: who will be at ECE? Arch council has a breakfast. We could do a planning council meetup. Fred/Dani/Wayne to plan a meeting

Wayne: if you want informal we can do that; if more formal might require some effort to plan

AI: Dani: send email to planning-council list to see who'll be at ECE and who would want to meetup.

Simrel status

2018-09M1 had some challenges, but plans are in place to avoid those problems when we start up 2018-12 M1 soon.

AI: Fred restrict pushing to simrel w/o gerrit review

Portal sunset

Everything should be moved over to https://accounts.eclipse.org/ already, but if you find anything that isn't please email wayne / open a BZ with links/details.

Back to the top