Notice: this Wiki will be going read only early in 2024 and edits will no longer be possible. Please see: https://gitlab.eclipse.org/eclipsefdn/helpdesk/-/wikis/Wiki-shutdown-plan for the plan.
Planning Council/March 7 2018
|Meeting Title:||Planning Council Conference Call|
|Date & Time:||Wednesday, March 7, 2018, at 1200 Noon Eastern|
|Dial in:|| Topic: Planning Council Meeting
Time: this is a recurring meeting Meet anytime
Join from PC, Mac, Linux, iOS or Android: https://eclipse.zoom.us/j/928841320
Or iPhone one-tap :
US: +16699006833,,928841320# or +14086380968,,928841320#
Dial(for higher quality, dial a number based on your current location)： US: +1 669 900 6833 or +1 408 638 0968 or +1 646 876 9923 Canada: +1 647 558 0588 France: +33 (0) 1 8288 0188 Germany: +49 (0) 30 3080 6188 United Kingdom: +44 (0) 20 3695 0088 Switzerland: +41 (0) 31 528 0988 Sweden: +46 (0) 8 4468 2488 Denmark: +45 89 88 37 88 Netherlands: +31 (0) 20 241 0288 Meeting ID: 928 841 320 International numbers available: https://eclipse.zoom.us/zoomconference?m=DufCm8dm7aEOYkLMWpY6qLgJMUtWhOnf
Planning Council Chair: Melanie Bats
- Wayne Beaton
- Frederic Gurr
- Mikael Barbero
- CA Technologies
- CEA LIST
- Ericsson AB (Marc-Andre Laperle)
- IBM (Thomas Watson)
- itemis AG (Alexander Nyssen)
- Obeo (Melanie Bats)
- Oracle (Neil Hauge)
- Red Hat, Inc. (Nick Boldt)
- Robert Bosch GmbH
- SAP SE (Stephan Merker)
- Business Intelligence and Reporting Tools (BIRT) PMC (Gary Xue)
- Data Tools Platform PMC (Brian Payton)
- Eclipse Cloud Development PMC (Martin Lippert)
- Eclipse Project PMC (Dani Megert)
- LocationTech Technology
- Eclipse Modeling Project PMC (Ed Merks)
- Mylyn (Application Lifecycle Tools) PMC (Sam Davis)
- Eclipse Runtime Project (RT) PMC
- Eclipse Science
- Service Oriented Architecture PMC (Adrian Mos)
- Technology PMC (Chris Aniszczyk)
- Tools Project PMC (Aleksandar Kurtakov)
- Eclipse Web Tools Platform Project (WTP) PMC (Carl Anderson)
Previous meeting minutes
- Review previous meeting minutes if you'd like. That is, review them before the meeting, but if questions or issues with previous minutes, this would be a good time to bring them up.
- Photon & Oxygen status
- Oxygen 3.a for Java 10 support status
- Post Photon SimRel status : Please before the call read and comment the proposed FAQ
Aleksandar Kurtakov (Tools Project), Ed Merks (Eclipse Modeling Project), Frederic Gurr (Eclipse Foundation), Martin Lippert (Eclipse Cloud Development), Mickael Barbero (Eclipse Foundation), Mélanie Bats (Obeo), Nick Boldt (Red Hat), Thomas Watson (IBM), Wayne Beaton (Eclipse Foundation)
Regrets : Dani Megert (Eclipse Project), Sam Davis (Mylyn)
Photon & Oxygen status
Everything is okay. Oxygen.3 RC4 EPP Package for tomorrow, should be the Oxygen.3 released on March 21st Oxygen.3a for April 11, Java 10 support seems to be ready.
Post Photon SimRel status
The planning council has decided on the mailing list that the cadence will be 13 weeks starting from the June 25 2018.
After the review of the FAQ, some points were discussed during the call :
Wayne asked how we would track people that would be in or out? It is difficult to track the activity on the projects, as some projects being mature are very stable and are still participating to the release train. The idea was to just declare once that a project is in and then we would never ask again until there is nor more activity. This does not seem to be feasible. It was discussed also to rely on the aggregation files to see whose in, but there are some projects that could be part of the SimRel but who do not contribute to the P2 repositories (example of Orion & Che). This discussion will be continued on the mailing list.
Milestones vs Checkpoints
Fred detailed on the mailing list that the new cadence will generate fewer tests as it will reduce the number of EPP packages build. He proposed to replace the checkpoint 2 C2 by a milestone to increase the number of tests as during last year we had many different respins. In the end it was proposed to just have miletones no more checkpoint, and clarify that a milestone just means that we are building EPP package and wait for feedback from the community to test it. There will be no respin for miletsone we will rebuild EPP just for the next milestone. So in the end the proposed planning for the cycle would be :
- M1 Friday Week 3 : Milestone 1 - all the projects are expected to contribute their latest working version for a 1st alignment, http://download.eclipse.org/staging is built, EPP packages are released for tests
- M2 Friday Week 6: Milestone 2 - all the projects are expected to contribute their latest working version for a 2nd alignment, API breakages are in, http://download.eclipse.org/staging is built, EPP packages are released for tests
- M3 Friday Week 9 : Milestone 3 - all the projects are expected to contribute their latest working version for a 3rd alignment, http://download.eclipse.org/staging is built, EPP packages are released for tests
- RC1 Friday Week 10 : API & Feature freeze http://download.eclipse.org/staging is built, EPP packages are released for tests
- RC2 Friday Week 11 : Only fixes it is assumed all code is done by the end of RC2, http://download.eclipse.org/staging is built, EPP packages are released for tests.
- GA Wednesday Week 13 : http://download.eclipse.org/releases/xxx is released and EPP packages, http://download.eclipse.org/releases/latest is updated to point to the new release.
Mélanie proposed on the mailing list the name following the pattern year.month: Eclipse YYYY.MM. This does not seem to fit what the Eclipse Foundation expect, we should avoid confusion with the Eclipse brand by adding a qualifier between Eclipse and the year month pattern: Eclipse XXX YYYY.MM Many different propositions were done :
- Eclipse Simultaneous Release
- Eclipse SimRel
- Eclipse Simrel
- Eclipse Train
- Eclipse Q... and continue to change every year in june as we do today
- Eclipse in Concert
- Eclipse Collective
- Eclipse United
As it seems quite difficult to get a clear decision on that point, Mélanie will open a bugzilla to let every one participate and contribute. Ed will broad this topic to the Board as Eclipse branding is also discussed there.
Mélanie will announce this week our intention to switch to a rolling release after Photon on cross-project.