Notice: this Wiki will be going read only early in 2024 and edits will no longer be possible. Please see: https://gitlab.eclipse.org/eclipsefdn/helpdesk/-/wikis/Wiki-shutdown-plan for the plan.
Planning Council/January 06 2010
|Meeting Title:||Planning Council Conference Call|
|Date & Time:||Wednesday, January 06, 2010, at 1700 UTC / 0900 SFO / 1200 NYC / 1700 London / 1800 Berlin|
|Dial-in:||For the call-in numbers, see the "Project Review" number on Foundation Portal page.|
PMC (and Strategic) Reps
Any SR2 issues? We will try RC1 as a rollup-warmup. RC2 will be true "release candidate".
Note: Remember we need to make SR2 "additive" with SR1 ... which
- requires some changes in builder to version categories
- provides opportunity for more testing?
- Remember to get your projects to submit CQ's by end of M5, and write in comments they are required for "helios"
- Thanks for the summary, John!
- John asks, What do we call this thing we do? "simultaneous release", "coordinated release", "annual release", "release train"?
- And ... who releases it? "The Eclipse Foundation", "The Eclipse Community", "The Eclipse Projects"?
Resolved: best to use "Simultaneous Release" and "The Eclipse Foundation". (There was discussion that maybe "the PLanning Council" (but, no), and concerns that "the Community" was too inclusive, and "The Eclipse Projects", while correct :), is included as part of "The Eclipse Foundation".
- Discuss Helios/Participating Projects document? Finalize?
- Where's Riena?
- Tom to follow up with Riena and request exception if needed.
- egit and linux-distros have "expressed intent" but since not in build, require an exception.
- Wayne to follow up with these projects and request exception if appropriate. (He note 'egit' in particular was important to the "business" of Eclipse).
- Modeling ... where to start? :)
- What is EEF? They (Cedric?!) just today are adding themselves to build. Appears a clear case where an exception is required first?
- Thanks to Cedric for reading agenda ahead of time and knowing he needs an exception. Him and Ed will discuss sending "formal" request to planning council list.
Ed acknowledge projects such as GMF "are hard to contact" due to changes in companies and individuals status ... but, he will work on and resolve, since GMF is so important.
- How is the "one row == one release" rule looking?
Ed agreed to fix up his part of table ... as well as make sure the subprojects do "roll up" with in the primary rows.
We still need rep for dsdp.
|Modeling|| 10? |
Proposed (initial) Cross-Project Teams
Structure of Common Discovery Site
- users vs. extenders (minimum runtimes vs. SDKs)
- runtime targets vs. tools
- hierarchical categories (are more levels required?)
Tracking progress and compliance
What needs to be done for e4?
Notes: The fundamental question is if it will be a requirement, in 2011, that to be part of the Simultaneious Release, such as "Projects must build on and fit in with e4 (even if not exploit it)". Our intuition is this would be a nice requirement ... but, its unclear how hard this is and if it is feasible. And ... the point is, we should begin that investigation before Helios and before e4 0.9 (so, we'd know early if feasible or if fundamental prohibitive issues.
Some things, like "building on e4" is not posible right now, but should be in March or April.
Other things, like running API cleanliness tests, can be started soon. API cleanliness is critical to have an easy transition to e4.
Chris will put that test/measurement in place.
David to add some small infrastructure to kick off junit tests, so Chris can add a plugin to do the tests.
Need to clarify "capabilities" requirement, even remove them from the M5 build. After note to cross-project list (David to send).
- create (and update) helios container plan (Wayne (re) volunteered)
- coordinate community input for next year's name (Oliver says last year this was started "shortly before EclipseCon" ... so, no rush).