- 1 Logistics
- 2 Members
- 3 Previous meeting minutes
- 4 Attendance
- 5 Regrets
- 6 Agenda
- 7 Actions follow-up
- 8 Notes
|Meeting Title:||Planning Council Conference Call|
|Date & Time:||Wednesday, September 4, 2019, at 11:00 EST|
|Dial in:|| Topic: Planning Council Meeting
Time: this is a recurring meeting Meet anytime
Join from PC, Mac, Linux, iOS or Android: https://eclipse.zoom.us/j/928841320
Or iPhone one-tap :
US: +16699006833,,928841320# or +14086380968,,928841320#
Dial(for higher quality, dial a number based on your current location)： US: +1 669 900 6833 or +1 408 638 0968 or +1 646 876 9923 Canada: +1 647 558 0588 France: +33 (0) 1 8288 0188 Germany: +49 (0) 30 3080 6188 United Kingdom: +44 (0) 20 3695 0088 Switzerland: +41 (0) 31 528 0988 Sweden: +46 (0) 8 4468 2488 Denmark: +45 89 88 37 88 Netherlands: +31 (0) 20 241 0288 Meeting ID: 928 841 320 International numbers available: https://eclipse.zoom.us/zoomconference?m=DufCm8dm7aEOYkLMWpY6qLgJMUtWhOnf
Planning Council Chair: Mélanie Bats
- Wayne Beaton
- Frederic Gurr
- Mikael Barbero
- CA Technologies
- CEA LIST
- Fujitsu Limited
- IBM (Thomas Watson)
- Obeo (Melanie Bats)
- Oracle (Neil Hauge)
- Payara Services Ltd.
- Red Hat, Inc. (Nick Boldt)
- Robert Bosch GmbH
- SAP SE (Stephan Merker)
- Eclipse Cloud Development PMC (Martin Lippert)
- Eclipse Project PMC (Dani Megert)
- Eclipse Enterprise for Java PMC
- IoT PMC
- Eclipse Modeling Project PMC (Ed Merks)
- Mylyn (Application Lifecycle Tools) PMC (Sam Davis)
- PolarSys PMC
- Eclipse Runtime Project (RT) PMC
- Eclipse Science PMC
- Service Oriented Architecture PMC (Adrian Mos)
- Eclipse Technology PMC (Gunnar Wagenknecht)
- Tools Project PMC (Alexander Kurtakov)
- Eclipse Web Tools Platform Project (WTP) PMC (Nitin Dahyabhai)
- Appointed (Mikael Barbero)
- Appointed (Markus Knauer)
- Appointed (Mike Milinkovich)
- Appointed (Sopot Cela)
- Appointed (Wayne Beaton)
Previous meeting minutes
- Review previous meeting minutes if you'd like. That is, review them before the meeting, but if questions or issues with previous minutes, this would be a good time to bring them up.
- Nitin Dahyabhai
- Mikaël Barbero
- Wayne Beaton
- Tom Watson
- Martin Lippert
- Fred Gurr
- Mélanie Bats
- Ed Merks
- Simrel updates & MAc signing
- Discuss 2020-03 & 2020-06 planning
- Managing opt-in/opt-out
- Is the participation page (e.g. 2019-09 considered useful?
- Planning Council to be removed from the Eclipse Foundation Bylaws (and EDP)
- Acknowledge that the Planning Council is entirely focused on Eclipse IDE Simultaneous Release
RC1 due on friday RC2 next friday Hopefully GA will be ontime
Some improvements were done on the Simrel wiki pages : https://www.eclipse.org/lists/eclipse.org-planning-council/msg03252.html
With the next MacOS release Catalina, each apps need to be authorized despite we sign the Eclipse bnudle, it is not authorized. It is mostly fixed for the next release but this means that no previous release will run on new MacOS. So Mikaël is working on making the mac version being authorised on Catalina. The latest build runs, there is still more testing to do.
Planning Council will be removed from the Eclipse Foundation Bylaws (and EDP). We acknowledge that the Planning Council is entirely focused on Eclipse IDE Simultaneous Release. So the idea is to move everything under EPP project and just continue to work as an Eclipse project. Other working groups are organized differently, they could be inspired by the IDE Simrel (JakartaEE communities, Science working group) but that's all.
Opt-in process is broken, it relies too heavily on Wayne (identifying not listening projects, contact them, ...) We decided last year to be based on the touch of the aggr file to determine who's in or out. In anyway, after few cycles, Wayne thinks that it seems ridiculous. The question is : do we need opt-in/opt-out ? How could we find how many projects are listening ? Proposal was done by Nitin to automatize this based on the PMI. We could add a section to declare that a release is part of the xxxx-yy Simrel. The purpose is to make sure that projects pay attention and to prevent that something will not break the build in last stage.
We should discuss how to modify PMI ? Mikael proposed also to implement checks. For example, that verify that a contribition is not older than one year old, in order to find easily which project needs to be contacted and see with them if we should remove them ?
Mélanie asked if Wayne will not be anymore in charge of contacting the project, who will do that as it seems to be a very consuming task. Should it be done by the planning council's chair ? Mélanie raised the fact that she will not have the time to do that alone. So another idea would be to share this on the planning council members. It was decided to continue this discussion on the mailing list, Wayne will start at thread.
2020-03 & 2020-06 schedules
- 17/01 M1
- 07/02 M2
- 28/02 M3
- 06/03 RC1
- 13/03 RC2
- 13/03 - 17/03 Quiet Period
- 18/03 GA
Fred: Dates LGTM! Martin: Dates LGTM!
- 17/04 M1
- 08/05 M2
- 29/05 M3
- 05/06 RC1
- 12/06 RC2
- 12/06 - 16/06 Quiet Period
- 17/06 GA
Martin: Dates LGTM!
- Wayne starts a discussion on the mailing list about the opt-in/opt-out process & who will be in charge of ?
- Mélanie starts a discussion on the mailing list to validate 2020-03 & 2020-06 schedules