PTP/new and noteworthy/8.0.0
The following are new features that are planned to be available in PTP 8.0 and Photran 8.2, released with
Eclipse Luna (4.4) on June 27, 2014.
This page can be considered to be under construction until that time.
- 1 Parallel Package
- 2 Core Features
- 3 Debugging
- 4 External Tools Framework (ETFw)
- 5 Remote Development Tools (RDT)
- 6 Fortran (Photran)
- 7 Help/docs
- 8 Features removed
The Eclipse package all-in-one download "Eclipse for Parallel Application Developers" is updated with the latest Luna release contents of most interest to our users. You can download it at http://eclipse.org/downloads
- Server Caching mechanism - the server scripts in the remote .eclipsesettings directories can be installed as a daemon (e.g. via crontab). Users can decide whether to use the status data retrieved from that daemon or via the old workflow, where each client triggers the server scripts separately. See https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=427386 for implementation status.
- Configuration for system monitoring - a configuration page for the system monitoring allows to define the default update behaviour and the update interval of the monitoring connections.
MPICH2 Debugging Support
Support for debugging applications has been added to the MPICH2 target configuration.
OpenPOWER™ Little Endian Support
Now includes a pre-built SDM binary for OpenPOWER™ Little Endian systems. This allows parallel applications to be debugged on these machines.
External Tools Framework (ETFw)
Uses Feedback view to map findings of Perfsuite analysis to source code lines in the editor.
New help sections describes how to run Perfsuite from PTP as well as view results in its new Feedback view.
Remote Development Tools (RDT)
Synchronized Autotools Projects
It is now possible to create synchronized projects that use autotools toolchains. The project will automatically generate the configure scripts and Makefiles on the remote system.
Sync Toolbar Icons
There is now a toolbar button for syncing and for editing sync configurations.
Synchronization Performance Improvements
Internally, sync now avoids full sync cycles during routine work and both the efficiency and robustness of sync operations has been improved.
New Remote Services Provider
Connection Editing Via Preferences
Connection information is now edited via preferences (instead of the Remote Environments view) regardless of the remote services provider.
- The C/C++ Development Tools that are included with the "Eclipse for Parallel Application Developers" have also been updated for Eclipse Luna. See their newest features on their New and Noteworthy for 8.4 page.
- CDT 8.3 improvements to multi-process debugging, implemented to help multi-core debugging ... if these show up for PTP debugging, advertise here
Photran 8.2 (included in PTP 8.0) is primarily a maintenance release. See below for bugs fixed in this release.