Revision as of 14:25, 18 April 2012 by Susan franklin.us.ibm.com (→Sidebar, sections, and outline navigation)
This page summarizes a UX discussion about the state of Orion R0.5M1. We hope to evolve this into priorities/plan for UX work in 0.5M2.
- 1 The landing/login experience
- 2 Sidebar, sections, and outline navigation
- 3 Selection, cursoring, preview, navigate to, etc.
- 4 Positions of actions, chevron menu
- 5 Navigator look and feel
- 6 Breadcrumbs
- 7 Overall thoughts
The landing/login experience
what's on a non-logged in user landing page?
- Tracking bug is bug 368739
- authentication and distinguishing between logged in and not logged in is hard. (Simon/Szymon)?
- the actual content of this page for orionhub (Ken/Anton/Susan)?
- this page needs to be able to create an account on Orion (Simon?) bug 372512
logged in user
- logged in user landing page is something like a navigator, but ways to populate with content
- bug 345622 (Susan/Ken)
- revisit the top pane concept
- the Orion Hub pages should be able to be branded with the eclipse.org/Orion branding, vs. orion.eclipse.org is our existing "minimal branding"
- bug 369427 (WHO?)
existing content review
- Navigator History is useless as is (Simon will remove)
- we instead need to remember the state you were in...what tabs open, where you were in the editor, etc.
- bug 373290 (WHO?)
- Simon likes the banner but misses having settings available in a link
- We should have the user profile as a page in the Settings page, then the user link could go there
- bug 376776 (Anton?)
- settings is different than outliner is different than nav left hand pane
- consistent navigation experience is important
- styling issues as well, for example, categories are easier to hit with finger, why isn't editor outliner that way, for example?
- get rid of the word categories
- Tracking bug is bug 368848 (Szymon, Susan, Anton, Libing)
- We are all over the map
- In pages like search results where there is no "selection", the cursor emphasis looks like selection
- search results uses left/right arrow that indicates hover activation, tooltip dialog arrow is in the wrong spot. Compare the look and feel of the hover to the one in git log for commits
- Selection should go the full width, clicking on a bar should select it, clicking on its link navigates (in outliner, settings, nav, search results, etc.)
- should use extended selection model instead of checkboxes (ctrl/shift click model) with space bar toggling
- add a dotted line link emphasis for cursored item since hitting enter will go there (can keep it also blue for now)
- get rid of checkboxes
- bug 377018, bug 359730 (Libing, Susan, Max)
- appearance of actions in rows vs. at a toolbar. Why aren't we just using a good selection model and making things appear in the toolbar? The web is heading this way vs. all these inline actions.
- selection inconsistencies, etc. aside...look and feel needs improvement
- left hand pane is ugly (settings sidebar is prettier, easier to hit)
- top level left hand pane should just be for replacing navigator content (Susan)
- revisit https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/attachment.cgi?id=205865
- if something appears on the left hand side in navigator, it should replace your nav contents, not take you to another page, so for files, a favorite would go there in the nav and make it the cursored emphasis.
- Take the "add random links" out of favorites (use browser bookmarks)
- get rid of saved searches (maybe search page shows this)
- terminology of favorites (shortcuts, etc.)
- should take a pass at aesthetics. Some of this can be done with sidebar styling, selection styling, etc. bug 376360 (Anton, Susan, Linda) ?
- Navigator is the landing page with an empty workspace providing some getting started stuff
- It is weird that breadcrumbs are both links to navigator and things that scope pages (search results, git log)
- Do we need another breadcrumby thing that scopes?
- Or do we need another emphasis? it says (scoped by Xxx) in the breadcrumb
- maybe the separators help show what's going on (they change?)
- applying today's rules...use dotted line link emphasis on breadcrumbs that repopulate page content, use full line if you leave the page (not ideal)
- This requires another conversation (Susan, McQ)
- Susan has some work on this and also dimensions like branches, etc. to discuss
- need to do more "try this site and give feedback on a running UI" vs. "release to master and get feedback someday"
- build time in for this process
- if we are doing a UX push for 0.5M2 we may be eliminating most new UI feature work