Contributing to Eclipse Lyo
This guide is to help you get started contributing to the Eclipse Lyo project.
In order to get your commit merged into master, you need to follow a few steps.
Before working on the code
- Register a new Eclipse account
- Search the existing bug list. Look for bugs with ANY status under LYO product and if none matches your problem, file a new bug on Bugilla before working on your contribution.
- If you want to discuss your idea before (and after) filing a bug, join the lyo-dev mailing list.
- Accept and sign the ECA. Instructions on how to sign are on the right side of the page.
Developing a change
- Find the corresponding Gerrit project and clone it using the command to Clone with
- Create a new Git brach from
master(best practice is to create a branch
b12345-gitignorefor a bug Bug 12345 .gitignore file missing).
- Make your changes to the code.
- Make sure you update the license header of the files you modify.
- Make a single commit containing all your changes.
- Start the first line of your commit message with Bug 12345 - for a patch that is addressing Bug 12345.
- Make sure to include Singed-off-by line in your commit message (by doing this, you are signing off on a Developer Certificate of Origin). Commits without a Singed-off-by line are not accepted!
If you have accidentally made more than one commit, you need to squash the commits. If you need to update your commit (in case you forgot something or received a feedback you need to address), amend your commit. [More Git tips are on Lyo wiki] (https://wiki.eclipse.org/Lyo/GitTips)
Submitting the change for review
- Submit your commit for the review:
- Via Eclipse EGit
- Via the command line:
git push origin HEAD:refs/for/master. git-review is recommended for frequent users.
See Gerrit User Guide for more information.