Notice: this Wiki will be going read only early in 2024 and edits will no longer be possible. Please see: https://gitlab.eclipse.org/eclipsefdn/helpdesk/-/wikis/Wiki-shutdown-plan for the plan.
Linux Tools Project/Eclipse Build
|Mailing List • Forums • IRC • mattermost|
|Open • Help Wanted • Bug Day|
Eclipse-build aims to ease the building of the Eclipse SDK for Linux distributions.
Eclipse Build: Why And How
When building, Eclipse normally satisfies its third party requirements by using libraries provided in Orbit. Orbit provides pre-built libraries which have been made into OSGi bundles with proper versioning, etc.
The problem for some Linux distributions is that they cannot use the pre-built binaries provided by Orbit. Eclipse must be built using the binaries provided in that distribution.
For more information about how Eclipse Build works please refer to the Eclipse Build Inner Workings Page
How To build Eclipse SDK with eclipse-build released tarballs
- Download and extract the latest eclipse-build*.tar.gz (pick the appropriate directory for the release you want)
- Download tarballs of the SDK sources (and optionally the SDK test sources and SDK test scripts) from the eclipse-build downloads area and put them in the eclipse-build* directory. NOTE: eclipse-build provides source tarballs created from the same tag as the official releases but with additional sources needed for the build.
- 3.7.1 tarball is here
- Run ant (you will likely need to ensure that JAVA_HOME points to your JDK installation directory)
If the build finishes without error there will be a build/eclipse-$YOUR_BUILD_ID-src/installation directory containing a ready-to-use Eclipse SDK. Eclipse-build is verified to work on x86, x86_64 and ppc architectures. Eclipse-build has been successfully tested on Fedora, Debian, Ubuntu, Gentoo, and RHEL. Refer to distribution-specific instructions below. We are interested in reports of success on other distributions. Please let us know via firstname.lastname@example.org.
Optional: ant runTests. Look for test results (a few hours running time) in tests_<timestamp>/results/html/org.eclipse.sdk.tests.html.
- Clone our git repository: http://git.eclipse.org/c/linuxtools/org.eclipse.linuxtools.eclipse-build.git/
- It is preferred that patches are generated from within Eclipse (use EGit. All patches must be submitted via http://bugs.eclipse.org eclipse.org bugzila
Fedora Build Requirements
On Fedora, just run yum-builddep eclipse to get the build dependencies (including the dependencies to which the Fedora package is symlinked). You must also ensure you have the following installed (the latter to run the tests): patch tigervnc-server.
See tests for how to build and run the SDK tests and to report results and check if others are working on common failures.