Jetty/Starting/Quick Start Guide
The following provides quick instructions for downloading, installing, and running the latest binary version of Jetty 7. If you're looking for Jetty packaged in other formats, look up How to Install Jetty.
- 7.1 MB of disk space for Jetty source
- 7.3 MB for Jetty 7 binaries
- Any operating system that supports J2SE 1.5 or greater.
- J2SE 1.5 or greater
Download and Unpack
- Download the latest Jetty from Eclipse. From the download site, select the version you want and follow the prompts to Save it on your system.
- Unzip it into a directory of your choice. Now it is ready to start running.
To start Jetty open a command shell, go to your Jetty installation directory, and type:
java -jar start.jar
This starts Jetty running on port 8080.
From the command shell where Jetty is running type: <ctrl-c>.
When Jetty starts, it deploys a test web application on port 8080. To check if Jetty is running properly navigate to the test URL from a browser. For example:
Setting Jetty's Port
To change Jetty's default port, edit $JETTY_HOME/etc/jetty.xml and change the port number in this line, then start Jetty:
<Set name="port"><SystemProperty name="jetty.port" default="8080"/></Set>
Alternatively you can set the port on the command line. Please see How to Configure Jetty for more details.