JGit/New and Noteworthy/4.9
- Implement atomic BatchRefUpdates for RefDirectory. The existing packed-refs file provides a mechanism for implementing atomic multi-ref updates without any changes to the on-disk format or lockfile protocol. We just need to make sure that there are no loose refs involved in the transaction, which we can achieve by packing the refs while holding locks on all loose refs. Full details of the algorithm are in the PackedBatchRefUpdate javadoc.
- reftable: new ref storage format. Some repositories contain a lot of references (e.g. android at 866k, rails at 31k). The reftable format provides:
- Near constant time lookup for any single reference, even when the repository is cold and not in process or kernel cache.
- Near constant time verification a SHA-1 is referred to by at least one reference (for allow-tip-sha1-in-want).
- Efficient lookup of an entire namespace, such as `refs/tags/`.
- Support atomic push `O(size_of_update)` operations.
- Combine reflog storage with ref storage.
- bug 470318 - Fetch submodule repo before resolving commits
- bug 374703 - Handle SSL handshake failures in TransportHttp, use CredentialsProvider to inform the user
- Support http.<url>.* configs
- Add BlobObjectChecker
- bug 520978 - Improve getting typed values from a Config to enable handling invalid configuration options
- bug 496170 - Support most %-token substitutions in OpenSshConfig
- bug 490939 - Let Jsch know about ~/.ssh/config. Ensure the Jsch instance used knows about ~/.ssh/config. This enables Jsch to honor more user configurations, in particular also the UserKnownHostsFile configuration, or additional identities given via multiple IdentityFile entries.
- bug 465167 - Add support to follow HTTP redirects
- Implement config setting http.followRedirects
- Number of redirects followed can be limited by http.maxRedirects (default 5)
- bug 500106 - Send a detailed event on working tree modifications to provide the foundations for better file change tracking
- Add dfs fsck implementation
- bug 517128 - Support -merge attribute in binary macro. The merger is now able to react to the use of the merge attribute. The value unset and the custom value 'binary' are handled (-merge and merge=binary)
- bug 518377 - Support --match functionality in DescribeCommand
- bug 517847 - Allow to programmatically set FastForwardMode for PullCommand
- bug 474174 - Add support for config option "pull.ff"
- Add a new singlePack option to PackConfig. If set, "singlePack" will create a single GC pack file for all objects reachable from refs/*. If not set, the GC pack will contain object reachable from refs/heads/* and refs/tags/*, and the GC_REST pack will contain all other reachable objects.
- fetch: Accept any SHA-1 on left hand side of refspec
JGit Command Line
- Added API to TextBuiltin for piped usage.
- bug 518377 - Add --match option for `jgit describe` to CLI
- ReceivePack: clear advertised .haves if application changes refs to avoid over-advertising ".have" lines
- Reftable: see above
Build and Release Engineering
- Upgrade Maven compiler plugins
- Add org.apache.commons.codec 1.9.0 to target platform
- Update args4j to 2.33 (CQ: 11068)
- Update Oxygen Orbit p2 repository to R20170516192513
- Replace findbugs by spotbugs
2 enhancement requests and 23 bugs were closed
- bug 521296 - Fix missing RefsChangedEvent when packed refs are used
- bug 376369 - Fix Daemon.stop() to actually stop the listener thread
- Remove workaround for bug in Java's ReferenceQueue which was fixed in Java 8. Minimum Java version 8-b100: JGit 4.9 removes a workaround for a bug in ReferenceQueue of Sun's Java 5, 6, 7 implementation. This bug was fixed in JDK 8-b100 hence this is the minimum supported Java version for JGit 4.9.
- bug 508801 - Don't assume name = path in .gitmodules
- bug 515325 - FetchCommand: pass on CredentialsProvider to submodule fetches
- bug 520920 - Exclude file matching: fix backtracking on match failures after "**"
- bug 508568 - Fix path pattern matching to work also for gitattributes
- bug 429625 - Ignore invalid TagOpt values
- bug 519883 - Fix default directory used to clone when setDirectory wasn't called
- bug 513043 - Do authentication re-tries on HTTP POST
- Fix exception handling for opening bitmap index files
- bug 393170 - Do not apply pushInsteadOf to existing pushUris
- bug 520702 - Record submodule paths with untracked changes as FileMode.GITLINK
- bug 520910 - Ensure EOL stream type is DIRECT when -text attribute is present. Otherwise fancy combinations of attributes (binary or -text in combination with crlf or eol) may result in the corruption of binary data.
- bug 520677 - Use relative paths for attribute rule matching
- Treat RawText of binary data as file with one single line. This avoids executing mergeAlgorithm.merge on binary data, which is unlikely to be useful.
- bug 510685 - Fix committing empty commits
- bug 519887 - Fix JGit set core.fileMode to false by default instead of true for non Windows OS.
- Fix matching ignores and attributes pattern of form a/b/**.
- Fix deleting symrefs
- bug 518377 - Fix bug in multiple tag handling on DescribeCommand
- bug 393170 - pushInsteadOf configuration is ignored by EGit. Note: Up to now JGit mistakenly applied pushInsteadOf also to existing pushUris. If some repositories had relied on this mis-feature, pushes may newly suddenly fail (the uncritical case; the config just needs to be fixed) or even still succeed but push to unexpected places, namely to the non-rewritten pushUrls (the critical case).
The following 21 developers worked on this release of JGit :
Changcheng Xiao, Christian Halstrick, Dave Borowitz, David Pursehouse, David Turner, Dmitry Pavlenko, Han-Wen Nienhuys, Joan Goyeau, Jonathan Nieder, Masaya Suzuki, Mathieu Cartaud, Matthias Sohn, Mattias Neuling, Michael FIG, Ned Twigg, Oliver Lockwood, Robin Stocker, Shawn Pearce, Terry Parker, Thomas Wolf, Zhen Chen