JGit/New and Noteworthy/3.0
JGit now supports the "recursive" merge strategy and it's the default for merge/pull (bug 380314). It is based on the "resolve" strategy but can handle more than one merge base. See merge strategies in the Git documentation for a description.
Added org.eclipse.jgit.java7 artifact (and p2 feature) for taking advantage of Java 7 for things like symlink support.
- Add NameRevCommand for describing IDs in terms of refnames (change I92bfb47).
- Add ArchiveCommand for creating an archive file for a tree
- TagCommand now also supports creating simple unannotated (lightweight) tags (bug 349223).
- RebaseCommand supports aborting a non-interactive rebase started from C Git (bug 336820).
- MergeCommand now has a setCommit(boolean) method which can be used to merge but not yet commit the result (bug 335091).
- StashCreateCommand considers working tree changes when stashing newly added files (bug 402396).
- StashCreateCommand no longer stashes untracked files (bug 403282).
- Add isRebasing to RepositoryState for checking whether the repository is in a rebasing state.
- Don't verify host name when http.sslVerify is set to false (change I42f509f).
- Allow to provide OutputStream for push so that server messages can be written to it while they're coming in (bug 398404).
- IndexDiff provides stage information for conflicting entries, e.g. BOTH_MODIFIED (bug 403697).
- Behave more like C Git when fetching tags by not updating existing tags unless explicitly specified (bug 388095).
- Clone command
- Added --branch (-b) option for checking out a specific branch instead of HEAD in non-bare repository
- Merge command
- Add --no-commit option for merging but not committing the result
- Status command
- Show conflict description for unmerged paths (e.g. "both modified")
- DateRevQueue (used by RevWalk) is faster for many commits (change Ie7b99f4).
- When using both Git and JGit and core.checkstat is set to minimal, Git no longer has to revalidate a large number of files (change I8eaff18).
- Updating many existing refs is faster as the unnecessary check for ref name conflicts is no longer done (change I9057bc4).
- Speed up clone/fetch with large number of refs (change I17d0b3c).
- Various improvements to packing/delta compression
TODO: bitmap index stuff, more?
API Changes and Migration Hints
Details of API changes in 3.0 compared to the previous release 2.3.1 are available in the Clirr API change report
(TODO: adapt link when release is available)
Internal storage API moved to internal packages
Applications are not supposed to build against the internal storage API unless they can accept API churn and make necessary updates as versions change.
- package org.eclipse.jgit.storage.dfs was moved to org.eclipse.jgit.internal.storage.dfs
- package org.eclipse.jgit.storage.file was moved to org.eclipse.jgit.internal.storage.file
In order to construct specific Repository instances use the respective builder classes:
WindowCacheConfig c = new WindowCacheConfig(); ... set new configuration params ... WindowCache.reconfigure(c);
WindowCacheConfig c = new WindowCacheConfig(); ... set new configuration params ... WIndowCacheConfig.install()
FollowFilter requires DiffConfig
Creation of a FollowFilter now needs an explicit DiffConfig, this was necessary to fix an NPE (see https://git.eclipse.org/r/#/c/12499)
public static FollowFilter create(String path, DiffConfig cfg)
14 Bugs and 0 enhancement requests were closed
The following X developers worked on this release of JGit: