Skip to main content
Jump to: navigation, search

Difference between revisions of "IoT/M2MIWG/Weekly call minutes"

< IoT
(May 20, 2015 (Project leads call))
 
(39 intermediate revisions by 4 users not shown)
Line 2: Line 2:
 
| <googlecalendar title="IoT WG Meeting" mode="AGENDA" height="300" width="100%">u5j68s710reqmr37vd78jdlbm4%40group.calendar.google.com</googlecalendar>
 
| <googlecalendar title="IoT WG Meeting" mode="AGENDA" height="300" width="100%">u5j68s710reqmr37vd78jdlbm4%40group.calendar.google.com</googlecalendar>
 
|}
 
|}
The Internet of Things Industry Working Group is holding bi-weekly calls on Wednesdays, at 12pm ET.<br>
+
The Internet of Things Industry Working Group is holding bi-weekly calls on Tuesday at 17:00CET.<br>
 
Participation to these calls is restricted to members of the IWG, but the minutes are public. We alternate between marketing-focused calls (upcoming events coordination, community outreach, etc.), and technical calls mostly targeting project leads, to synchronize cross-project activities.
 
Participation to these calls is restricted to members of the IWG, but the minutes are public. We alternate between marketing-focused calls (upcoming events coordination, community outreach, etc.), and technical calls mostly targeting project leads, to synchronize cross-project activities.
  
The meetings are held via teleconference. The regular call-in numbers are shown below (if possible, please used caller paid numbers). There are a few local / toll-free dial in numbers, but you may want to setup a [https://wiki.eclipse.org/Asterisk#SIP SIP client] on your computer if possible.
+
The meetings are held via the Zoom conferencing service. Details to access the meeting are the following:
  
* North America 1-866-569-4992
+
Join from PC, Mac, Linux, iOS or Android: [https://eclipse.zoom.us/j/646159255
* Germany 49-692-2224-6059
+
]
* France 33-(0)-17-070-8535
+
* UK 0800-033-7806
+
* Switzerland 41-44-580-2115
+
* Sweden 46-85-063-8386
+
* Italy 003-902-3604-8268
+
  
Participant conference extension: 713, then enter pin 68764
+
Or Telephone:
 +
*Dial(for higher quality, dial a number based on your current location):
 +
**US: +1 646 876 9923  or +1 669 900 6833  or +1 408 638 0968
 +
**Canada: +1 647 558 0588
 +
**France: +33 (0) 1 8288 0188
 +
**Germany: +49 (0) 30 3080 6188
 +
**Italy: +39 069 480 6488
 +
**United Kingdom: +44 (0) 20 3695 0088
  
SIP clients can call 713@asterisk.eclipse.org, then enter pin 68764.
+
Meeting ID: 646 159 255
 +
International numbers available: [https://eclipse.zoom.us/zoomconference?m=_pNyfcDAWXapKzsyyl4qMTwg6x8WkM7D]
  
= June 3, 2015 (Marketing call) =
+
Or iPhone one-tap :
 +
* US: +16468769923,,976345400#  or +16699006833,,976345400#
  
== Participants ==
 
  
* Jens Reimann
 
* Ian Skerrett
 
* Benjamin Cabé
 
* Kai Kreuzer
 
* Virgil Dodson
 
* James Kirkland (and XX), Red Hat
 
* Ian Craggs
 
* Alois Zoitl
 
* Dave Woodard
 
  
 +
 +
 +
----------------------------------------
 +
 +
= Feb 1, 2017 (WG Call)=
 +
 +
== Participants ==
 +
 +
*Dan Gross, Samsung
 +
*James Sutton, IBM
 +
*David Bericat, Red Hat
 +
*Laurent Lagosanto, MicroEJ
 +
*Roxanne Joncas, Eclipse Foundation
 +
*Benjamin Cabé, Eclipse Foundation
 +
*Brad Micklea, Codenvy
  
 
== Agenda ==
 
== Agenda ==
 +
=== Eclipse IoT Testbeds: review strategy and next steps. ===
 +
Work on a set of industry oriented (vertical solutions) to showcase a technical solution and showcase the Eclipse projects and vendor ecosystem.
 +
Eclipse IoT Members working together to set-up the testbed and create a demo that runs 24/7 on the Eclipse servers
 +
More details: https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1nmdi-cmw_O-7W2qZKRHMN-3gw0WHxE75llcV0nMhS-U/edit?usp=sharing
 +
Proposed Testbed scenario around Asset Tracking Management: https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1KF7yxv5Dnk6b2a574HPtU5pHR5q7wvsT4skKjGDz1Q4/edit?usp=sharing
 +
There are many options for collaboration
  
* Introduction of new members
+
*Dan Gross: Samsung interested in participating - Kura gateway using ARTIK.
* IoT Events
+
*Laurent Lagosanto: Potential use case for Eclipse Edje.  
** M2M Summit, JavaOne, IoT Day at EclipseCon Europe and potential Eclipse IoT event in Berlin
+
*David Bericat: Excited and look forward to working with everyone.
** A complete list of IoT events is available at https://wiki.eclipse.org/IoT/M2MIWG/Marketing-Programs#IoT_Events_in_2015
+
* Update of Virtual IoT Meetup
+
* IoT Case Studies: I'd like to start collecting case studies on how companies are using Eclipse IoT technology.
+
* Other topics?
+
  
 +
'''Next Steps''': Stay tuned, we will be updating the group at large and scheduling individual meetings.
  
== Introduction of new members ==
+
=== 2. MQTT 5: Update from Ian Craggs / James Sutton on what’s in MQTT 5 and the expected impact on Eclipse Paho / Mosquitto and downstream adopters. ===
 +
'''Big set of changes:'''
 +
*Use of the publish/subscribe message pattern which provides one-to-many message distribution and decoupling of applications.
 +
*A messaging transport that is agnostic to the content of the payload.
 +
*Three qualities of service for message delivery:
 +
**At most once", where messages are delivered according to the best efforts of the operating environment. Message loss can occur. This level could be used, for example, with ambient sensor data where it does not matter if an individual reading is lost as the next one will be published soon after.
 +
**At least once", where messages are assured to arrive but duplicates can occur.
 +
**"Exactly once", where messages are assured to arrive exactly once. This level could be used, for example, with billing systems where duplicate or lost messages could lead to incorrect charges being applied.
 +
*A small transport overhead and protocol exchanges minimized to reduce network traffic.
 +
*A mechanism to notify interested parties when an abnormal disconnection occurs.
 +
 +
'''Notes from the meeting:'''
 +
*Any request sent (and reply received) can have embedded metadata. This will be used for e.g letting a publisher know about *what* happened to the packet in addition to just acknowledging it
 +
**The CONNECT packet can contain information regarding what QoS are supported by the server
 +
**Supporting QoS 2 on the server is not mandatory anymore
 +
**Scalability
 +
*It will affect the Paho client and so a new Paho client will be created.
 +
**Improve API
 +
**Feedback from community
 +
**Work nicely with the new MQTT 5 features
 +
*The complete move will take a while, MQTT 3 will not go away anytime soon. It will be a parallel process. The previous versions of the client will be maintained. Some users might choose to use MQTT 3 since it’s more lightweight.
  
* James and XX from Red Hat introduced themselves.
+
'''IMPORTANT:''' Get your feedback in as soon as possible, because in a few months it will be finalized, so review the specifications. View working draft 10 dated January 4: https://www.oasis-open.org/committees/documents.php?num_per_wg=10&wg_abbrev=mqtt
* Other new members who recently joined include Azul Systems and Verisign.
+
  
== IoT Events ==
+
=== 3. PMC topics: project documentation, build machines, Docker, … ===
 +
Skipped this item - not enough PMC members on the call
  
* We are looking at having an Eclipse booth at M2M Summit and share the cost between Eclipse IoT members
+
=== 4. Misc. updates ===
* IoT World Congress in Barcelona (same event organizer as Mobile World Congress)
+
*WG Meeting at the Eclipse IoT Day San Jose Add your project for project update or intro: https://wiki.eclipse.org/EclipseIoT_SanJose2017
** Call for papers is out
+
*IoT Developer Survey Test it and give us feedback! It will go live next week. https://www.surveymonkey.net/r/Preview/?sm=PpPJLkX2kyFIkd4FpbfnijKgtSau8CTbzClUcIqMOv8UHpkGU6kxWrpBNJfYHpzC
* IoT Day at EclipseCon Europe, similar to what we did at EclipseCon 2015
+
*Member companies are encouraged to ask for a special link that they can use to promote the survey to their communities, and have access to answers based on this segment.
* Industry of Things in Berlin
+
Open IoT Challenge: we will schedule a live hangout for project leads to answer any technical questions the participant may have. https://iot.eclipse.org/open-iot-challenge/
** Can we do an Eclipse IoT Day just before or after this show?
+
  
== Virtual IoT ==
+
= Feb 15, 2017 (WG Call) =
  
* 350 members and counting
+
== Participants ==
* Hundreds of replays of the webinars on YouTube
+
*Kai Kreuzer, Deutsche Telekom
* Alois is interested to present 4DIAC at the end of September. Benjamin will be in touch to put the presentation in the schedule.
+
*Jens Reimann, Red Hat
 +
*Dejan Bosanac, Red Hat
 +
*Gerald Glocker, Bosch SI
 +
*Shuai li, CEA-LIST
 +
*Roxanne Joncas, Eclipse Foundation
 +
*Ian Skerrett, Eclipse Foundation
 +
*Benjamin Cabé, Eclipse Foundation
 +
*Dave Woodard, Eurotech
 +
*Ian Craggs, IBM
 +
*Kilton Hopkins, IOTRACKS
  
== IoT Case Studies ==
+
== Agenda ==
 +
===Presentation new project proposal: Eclipse Ditto (Digital Twins) ===
 +
'''Presenter: Gerald Glocker, Bosch SI'''
  
* Ian would like to start harvesting case studies and success stories w/ the different projects and technologies of Eclipse IoT
+
Bosch will be proposing a new project called “Eclipse Ditto” soon for managing state of Digital Twins. Hopefully the proposal will be made next week.
* Ian will start reaching out to companies and put together a template of the information needed for documenting the case study
+
The Ditto Project will be a mediator between IoT Devices and the state of their Digital Twins. 
 +
Digital Twin is not really a fixed term. Bosch views Digital Twin as is a holistic view of all capabilities and aspects of a device/product asset including its digital representation.
 +
Ultimate goal is to use the digital twin as a service. There would be a higher level API to work with individual devices and you wouldn’t have to know what is happening in the background. The plan is to integrate with Eclipse Vorto and Eclipse Kapua.
  
== GitHub issues ==
+
Read the one-page: https://wiki.eclipse.org/File:Ditto_Project.png
  
* Projects have to use Bugzilla. The reason is Eclipse Fdn does not want to use vendor-specific solution (if a vendor goes away, we have an issue).
+
*Questions:
* Ian suggests that PMC leaders Jens and Kai take the issue to the Board level via the Committer Reps
+
Can changes to the state be made on the device of the twin, or is it only one way? The state of the device could be in both directions. Changes to the state on the device or the digital twin would change the state of the other one.
 +
A twin is not necessarily 1:1 device, a twin can represent many things (device + JVM + …)
  
= May 20, 2015 (Project leads call) =
+
Project Proposal: https://projects.eclipse.org/proposals/eclipse-ditto
  
== Participants ==
+
=== Presentation by CEA-List on Model Design Environment for IoT ===
 +
'''Presenter: Shuai li CEA-List'''
  
* Benjamin Cabé
+
*Slides: https://wiki.eclipse.org/File:S3P-IoTModelingExecution_CEA_Primstech_MicroEJ-final.pdf
* Ian Craggs
+
*Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JqAPRH0bfU
* Jens Reimann
+
*For more details, contact Shuai li from CEA-List.
* Kai Kreuzer
+
* Marc Mültin
+
* Virgil Dodson
+
* Ian Skerrett
+
* Dave Woodard
+
  
== Agenda ==
+
=== Update on Testbeds ===
 +
'''Presenter Benjamin Cabé'''
  
* Presentation of the new [https://projects.eclipse.org/proposals/rise-v2g RiseV2G] IoT Project
+
Testbeds aim to showcase the software stack available from our open source projects, as well as the various offers that the WG members provide on top if it (cloud solutions, analytics platforms, hardware, integration services, …).
* IoT Commons, in particular current status regarding Bluetooth LE and USB
+
* Update on Open Source IoT server discussions
+
* LwM2M over MQTT: next steps
+
  
== RiseV2G ==
+
The first testbed will be a solution for Asset Tracking Management, more specifically tracking the delivery of valuable parcels. The end-to-end solution will comprise embedded sensors that can be attached to the parcels to monitor e.g temperature or vibration, IoT gateways in order to collect the sensor data (for example inside the delivery truck), process it, and report it to a cloud backend where it can be further analyzed, or made available to 3rd party apps. Members currently participating: Red Hat + Eurotech
  
* This project aims to implement communication between Electric Vehicals (EVs) and charging stations
+
A wiki page describes the solution https://wiki.eclipse.org/IoT/Testbeds/Asset_Tracking_Management and will be completed as other members jump on the train to extend the code scenario with their respective solutions.
** Based on IEC 15118 standard
+
The code to replicate and demonstrate the testbed will be shared through https://github.com/eclipselabs/eclipseiot-testbed-assettracking.
* Quite a community already: car manufacturers, utility, ...
+
* Presented at two major international conferences over the last year
+
* The protocol is client/server. RiseV2G aims at being integrated in charging stations (server) and the car is the client
+
* Implementation is in Java
+
* The protocol can be used for other smartgrid usecases like solar panels
+
  
* Code will be hosted on GitHub
+
Participation to the testbeds is open to any member of the IoT WG, and more details on the overall strategy are available at https://goo.gl/UeDekI.
  
* Marc indicates that there could be interesting collaboration opportunities with Eclipse SmartHome.
+
=== Eclipse IoT Day in San Jose and Unconference ===
** Kai indicates there is already a new binding in Eclipse SmartHome for Charging Stations (KeyBar(?))
+
'''Presenter: Ian Skerrett'''
  
== IoT Commons ==
+
We’re looking for use-case type speakers to present how their company uses Eclipse IoT projects. Last year at ECE 2016 we had a speaker from the Deutsche Bahn train system explain how Eclipse Paho and MQTT are used in their train systems.
  
* Our goal should will be to work on providing open source implementations of existing APIs (see eg. javax.comm, javax.usb, OSGi Alliance RFCs)
+
Ideally the speaker would be from the Bay area since this is short notice. Please let us know if you know anyone that could be a good candidate.
* If we don't have the API (e.g. Modbus): what should we do?
+
* Benjamin will provide a metadata "template" to make it easier to document the dependencies.
+
  
== IoT Server ==
+
=== Eclipse Leshan Press Release ===
 +
'''Presenter: Ian Skerrett'''
  
* Working group members are welcome to join the discussions regarding [[IoT/IoTServerPlatform]]
+
Today, February 15, we issued a press release about Eclipse Leshan and Eclipse Waakama “Eclipse IoT Announces Support for OMA LightweightM2M 1.0 Device Management Standard” Read it here: http://www.eclipse.org/org/press-release/20170215_lwm2m.php
  
== LwM2M over MQTT ==
+
=== IoT World plans ===
 +
'''Presenter: Ian Skerrett'''
  
* Next steps: discussing proper integration of the work being done at IBM India in Leshan
+
Eclipse IoT will have a booth at IoT World and would like to coordinate with other members. We won’t be doing the pavilion since not enough members wanted to participate, but we will get in touch soon to partner with interested members, such as IOTRACKS, that showed interest in participating.
  
= Mar 25, 2015 (Project leads call) =  
+
=== IoT Developer Survey ===
 +
'''Presenter: Roxanne Joncas'''
  
== Participants ==
+
On February 7, we launched the third annual IoT Developer Survey. Please take the time to complete the survey and to share it with your coworkers and community.
 +
*Link to promote/share: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/iotsurvey2017eclipseiot
 +
*Graphic for promotion: https://wiki.eclipse.org/File:Iotsurveypartners.png
  
* Benjamin Cabé
+
 
* Ian Craggs
+
= Feb 15, 2017 (WG Call) =
* Julien Vermillard
+
 
* Luca Dazi
+
== Participants ==
 +
*Kai Kreuzer, Deutsche Telekom
 +
*Jens Reimann, Red Hat
 +
*Dejan Bosanac, Red Hat
 +
*Gerald Glocker, Bosch SI
 +
*Shuai li, CEA-LIST
 +
*Roxanne Joncas, Eclipse Foundation
 +
*Ian Skerrett, Eclipse Foundation
 +
*Benjamin Cabé, Eclipse Foundation
 +
*Dave Woodard, Eurotech
 +
*Ian Craggs, IBM
 +
*Kilton Hopkins, IOTRACKS
  
 
== Agenda ==
 
== Agenda ==
 +
===Presentation new project proposal: Eclipse Ditto (Digital Twins) ===
 +
'''Presenter: Gerald Glocker, Bosch SI'''
  
* Update on the IoT Challenge. Deadline was yesterday and Benjamin will update on the submitted solution and relationship with Eclipse IoT projects.
+
Bosch will be proposing a new project called “Eclipse Ditto” soon for managing state of Digital Twins. Hopefully the proposal will be made next week.
* IP and process issues. Quick roundtable on any outstanding CQs or process issues that projects may have.
+
The Ditto Project will be a mediator between IoT Devices and the state of their Digital Twins.  
* LwM2M over MQTT update.
+
Digital Twin is not really a fixed term. Bosch views Digital Twin as is a holistic view of all capabilities and aspects of a device/product asset including its digital representation.
 +
Ultimate goal is to use the digital twin as a service. There would be a higher level API to work with individual devices and you wouldn’t have to know what is happening in the background. The plan is to integrate with Eclipse Vorto and Eclipse Kapua.
  
== IoT Challenge ==
+
Read the one-page: https://wiki.eclipse.org/File:Ditto_Project.png
  
* The final entries have been submitted. See http://openiotchallenge.tumblr.com/
+
*Questions:  
* The results will be announced shortly
+
Can changes to the state be made on the device of the twin, or is it only one way? The state of the device could be in both directions. Changes to the state on the device or the digital twin would change the state of the other one.
* Many great submissions around MQTT, Kura, MQTT-SN, LwM2M so all the project leads are encouraged to have a look and engage with the participants
+
A twin is not necessarily 1:1 device, a twin can represent many things (device + JVM + …)
  
== IP and Process Issues ==
+
Project Proposal: https://projects.eclipse.org/proposals/eclipse-ditto
  
* Benjamin asks the project leads attending the call if they have process topics to discuss.
+
=== Presentation by CEA-List on Model Design Environment for IoT ===
 +
'''Presenter: Shuai li CEA-List'''
  
The following topics were discussed during the call:
+
*Slides: https://wiki.eclipse.org/File:S3P-IoTModelingExecution_CEA_Primstech_MicroEJ-final.pdf
 +
*Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JqAPRH0bfU
 +
*For more details, contact Shuai li from CEA-List.
  
* Julien is inquiring about the time it takes to do a formal release, and asks about how long it takes to get an IP log approved, and a release approved.
+
=== Update on Testbeds ===
** If the project leadership has been managing its contribution properly, and granted that there are no problematic CQs, the IP log is approved in less than a week
+
'''Presenter Benjamin Cabé'''
** Once the IP log is approved, at the project review can be scheduled and the review period cannot be less than a week.
+
** This [[Development_Resources/HOWTO/Release_Cycle#Release_Review|wiki page and associated diagram]] summarizes very well the workflow.
+
** For the record, a project may decide to submit an IP log for approval even when a release isn't planned. This is useful whenever some major contributions or 3rd party libraries are added to the codebase, and in general to avoid rushing a few days before a release.
+
  
* Ian Craggs rises the point of some projects he's been trying to recruit as Paho components, and who are currently hosted on Github. One of the reasons these projects wouldn't move to Eclipse was the fact they would lose Github issues and a very "low barrier" for bugs/feature requests to be reported.
+
Testbeds aim to showcase the software stack available from our open source projects, as well as the various offers that the WG members provide on top if it (cloud solutions, analytics platforms, hardware, integration services, …).
** Julien highlights that the current situation is pretty messy: some Eclipse projects recently created have Github issues enabled, or have had GH issues disabled by Eclipse webmaster and lost the existing issues that people already opened.
+
** Someone has reminded that GH pull requests are very similar to GH issues, and are allowed.
+
** If there is a '''legal''' reason to not allow Github issues, the projects would like to know. If there is a technical reason, it seems {{bug|442828|7}} would be a viable answer. In general, the project leaders all expressed that they don't have a clear position from EMO that they can use to explain to their community why GH issues aren't allowed.
+
** Ian Craggs notes that a solution to the problem might be to consider Github issues with different levels of contribution, and that in several cases, an issue is just opened as a way to engage the discussion. If a GH issue ends up being an actual contribution, the project leadership could "clone" the conversation on Bugzilla, if that is needed for a legal reason.
+
  
* Still on the topics of Github development, it is note that some projects avec their GitHub wiki enabled.
+
The first testbed will be a solution for Asset Tracking Management, more specifically tracking the delivery of valuable parcels. The end-to-end solution will comprise embedded sensors that can be attached to the parcels to monitor e.g temperature or vibration, IoT gateways in order to collect the sensor data (for example inside the delivery truck), process it, and report it to a cloud backend where it can be further analyzed, or made available to 3rd party apps. Members currently participating: Red Hat + Eurotech
** Is this a bug? Or, again, what is EMO's official position?
+
  
* Both Ian and Julien express concerns about libraries coming from the NodeJS or Javascript ecosystem who prove difficult to be cleared, IP-wise (libuv for Mosquitto, Bootstrap or Angular libraries for Leshan...)
+
A wiki page describes the solution https://wiki.eclipse.org/IoT/Testbeds/Asset_Tracking_Management and will be completed as other members jump on the train to extend the code scenario with their respective solutions.
** Julien wonders why Eclipse projects can't use libraries that do not have proper CLAs, but seem to be used widely. "Why is everybody using NodeJS and NodeJS libraries if there is a risk?"
+
The code to replicate and demonstrate the testbed will be shared through https://github.com/eclipselabs/eclipseiot-testbed-assettracking.
** Benjamin will reach out to the Orion project leadership to understand better how they work with 3rd party JS dependencies
+
  
== LwM2M over MQTT ==
+
Participation to the testbeds is open to any member of the IoT WG, and more details on the overall strategy are available at https://goo.gl/UeDekI.
  
* A meeting is scheduled for April 2, to discuss the current prototype implemented by IBM India during the Open IoT Challenge, and prepare next steps.
+
=== Eclipse IoT Day in San Jose and Unconference ===
* [[IoT/LwM2M_MQTT_Binding/Meeting_minutes|Wiki page]]
+
'''Presenter: Ian Skerrett'''
  
= Feb 12, 2015 (Marketing call) =
+
We’re looking for use-case type speakers to present how their company uses Eclipse IoT projects. Last year at ECE 2016 we had a speaker from the Deutsche Bahn train system explain how Eclipse Paho and MQTT are used in their train systems.
  
 +
Ideally the speaker would be from the Bay area since this is short notice. Please let us know if you know anyone that could be a good candidate.
  
== Participants ==
+
=== Eclipse Leshan Press Release ===
 +
'''Presenter: Ian Skerrett'''
  
* Jens
+
Today, February 15, we issued a press release about Eclipse Leshan and Eclipse Waakama “Eclipse IoT Announces Support for OMA LightweightM2M 1.0 Device Management Standard” Read it here: http://www.eclipse.org/org/press-release/20170215_lwm2m.php
* Ian Skerrett
+
* Benjamin
+
* Dave Woodard
+
* Kai Kreuzer
+
* Mahdi Ben Alaya
+
* Virgil Dodson
+
* Ian Craggs
+
  
 +
=== IoT World plans ===
 +
'''Presenter: Ian Skerrett'''
 +
 +
Eclipse IoT will have a booth at IoT World and would like to coordinate with other members. We won’t be doing the pavilion since not enough members wanted to participate, but we will get in touch soon to partner with interested members, such as IOTRACKS, that showed interest in participating.
 +
 +
=== IoT Developer Survey ===
 +
'''Presenter: Roxanne Joncas'''
 +
 +
On February 7, we launched the third annual IoT Developer Survey. Please take the time to complete the survey and to share it with your coworkers and community.
 +
*Link to promote/share: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/iotsurvey2017eclipseiot
 +
*Graphic for promotion: https://wiki.eclipse.org/File:Iotsurveypartners.png
 +
 +
= Mar 1, 2017 (WG Call) =
 +
 +
== Participants ==
 +
*Benjamin Cabé, Eclipse Foundation
 +
*Roxanne Joncas, Eclipse Foundation
 +
*Ian Skerrett, Eclipse Foundation
 +
*Jens Reimann, Red Hat
 +
*György Réthy, Ericsson
 +
*Dave, IOTRACKS
 +
*Kilton Hopkins, IOTRACKS
 +
*Michael Limprecht, IOTRACKS
 +
*James Sutton, IBM
 +
*Ian Craggs, IBM
 +
*Laurent Lagosanto, MicroEJ
 +
*Henryk Konsek, Red Hat
 +
*Kai Kreuzer, Deutsche Telekom
 +
*Others who joined later
  
 
== Agenda ==
 
== Agenda ==
 +
=== Presentation from the Eclipse Titan team at Ericsson ===
 +
'''Presenter: György Réthy'''
  
- IoT Challenge results to date
+
Eclipse Titan is a tool built around the TTCN-3 testing standard, and it is very relevant for IoT as it can be used to test MQTT, CoAP, oneM2M, etc. communication scenarios. It was created by Ericsson 15 years ago and has been used internally ever since. It was open sourced 2 years ago at the Eclipse Foundation.
- IoT Developer Survey - review questions in attached document
+
*oneM2MTestter version 1.0 has been released
- Web site updates
+
*No need to learn a new language
- EclipseCon and IoT Day update
+
*Pilot with CoAP for modeling Testing
  
== IoT Challenge ==
+
Question: Can you execute it in a headless mode? Yes, command line tools is the controller. There are also Eclipse plugins available for test executive that control the command line component.
  
* Participants' projects are highlighted on http://openiotchallenge.tumblr.com
+
More information is available in the slides.
* Four projects are blogging actively and showing interesting results. Several "tips and tricks" and "tutorials" are being created as part of the blogging activity of the participants. Eclipse IoT projects should make sure to relay those in their own mailing lists, wikis, etc.
+
*Slides: https://wiki.eclipse.org/File:Titan@EclipseIoTWG_20170301.pdf
* There are several solutions that are using Kura, Leshan, and MQTT/MQTT-SN
+
* Deadline for final submissions will be March 23rd (initially Feb 27)
+
  
== IoT Developer Survey ==
+
=== Eclipse Foundation Security policy ===
 +
'''Presenter: Ian Skerrett '''
  
* The survey should help build awareness about Eclipse IoT by writing a report
+
Security is obviously a key concern for IoT so we would like to make sure everyone is familiar with the Security Policy in place at the Eclipse Foundation, and that all projects implement appropriate to let their users know how to report security issues, and know how to handle them.
* We probably don't want more than 20 questions
+
* Question 10 on protocols should probably be split in two sections: messaging protocols and industrial protocols
+
* "Is open source an important factor for your IoT solution?" or "What's your organization's view on OSS: never use it, considering using it, ..."
+
  
== Web site updates ==
+
There is a security team at the Eclipse Foundation, Jens Reimann and Julien Vermillard are on this team to represent IoT.
  
* Benjamin and Ian are working on revamping the iot.eclipse.org website since it's start to show its age and is not adapted anymore to the numbers of projects and technologies we have
+
One of the problems: On Bugzilla, you can mark a bug as private and only the security team will see it and assign it from appropriate project leaders. For projects that use GitHub issues, there isn’t a way to make an issue private. These projects need a link on their site that instructs users to open any security vulnerability bugs on Buzgilla.
* There should be showable results in the next couple weeks.
+
  
== IoT Day ==
+
All vulnerabilities will eventually need to be made public and the goal is to resolve any vulnerability within *3 months*. After 3 months, the vulnerability will be madepublic.
  
* The help of the Eclipse IoT members to recruit participants is greatly appreciated :)
+
*Questions can be sent to security@eclipse.org
 +
*Next steps: Ian will talk to Wayne and get more concrete next steps.
 +
*Slides: https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1xZquUsFDnhxYAdlp8ImXqEueu5IiLFfuOAEPWkQp4Gs/edit?usp=sharing
  
= Jan 28, 2015 (Project leads call) =
+
=== Eclipse IoT Day in San Jose and Unconference ===
 +
'''Presenter: Ian Skerrett'''
  
== Agenda ==
+
We’re looking for use-case type speakers to present how their company uses Eclipse IoT projects. Last year at ECE 2016 we had a speaker from the Deutsche Bahn train system explain how Eclipse Paho and MQTT are used in their train systems.
  
* Update of project release plans.
+
Ideally the speaker would be from the Bay area since this is short notice. Please let us know if you know anyone that could be a good candidate.
* GPG signing update. Benjamin will provide an update on setting up GPG signing for IoT * projects.
+
* LWM2M over MQTT – Update on the initial discussions regarding running LwM2M over MQTT https://wiki.eclipse.org/IoT/LwM2M_MQTT_Binding
+
* Update on the IoT Challenge
+
  
 +
For the IoT WG Meeting, feel free to suggest guest speakers. We already invited the OMA Group to give an update on LWM2M.
  
== Attendees ==
+
=== IoT Developer Survey ===
 +
'''Presenter: Roxanne Joncas'''
  
* Benjamin
+
On February 7, we launched the third annual IoT Developer Survey. Please take the time to complete the survey and to share it with your coworkers and community.
* Jens
+
*Link to promote/share: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/iotsurvey2017eclipseiot
* Michael Bradley
+
*Graphic for promotion: https://wiki.eclipse.org/File:Iotsurveypartners.png
* Kai K
+
* Mahdi
+
* Ian Craggs
+
* Marco
+
* Virgil
+
  
== Update of project release plans ==
+
= Apr 10, 2017 (WG Call) =
  
* Paho
+
== Participants ==
** Paho 1.1 will include:
+
*Benjamin Cabé, Eclipse Foundation
*** .Net and WinRT by Paolo Patierno
+
*Roxanne Joncas, Eclipse Foundation
*** Formal release of the embedded client
+
*Ian Skerrett, Eclipse Foundation
*** Formal release of the Android service
+
*James Drummond, Codenvy
*** Service update of all the other clients
+
*Kai Hudalla, Bosch SI
** Next version will be Paho 1.2
+
*Kilton Hopkins, IOTRACKS
*** to be released in Mars
+
*Jens Reimann, Red Hat
 +
*Howard Green, Azul Systems
 +
*Thibault Rouffineau, Canonical
 +
*David Bericat, Red Hat
 +
*Dan Gross, Samsung
 +
*Others who joined later
  
* SmartHome
+
== Agenda ==
** No release in preparation (there was a release announced in Dec. but it has been withdrawn)
+
=== Hono Update ===
** Ongoing work on REST API
+
'''Presenter: Kai Hudalla'''
*** Automated and interactive documentation of the REST API using Swagger
+
*0.5 M6 Milestone of Hono released this week.
 +
*3-4 weeks in between each release. It’s about continuously improving the system. Working on the telemetry system right now. Stability and resilience has improved, when services fail - how do they reconnect and start working without manual interference.
 +
*Hackathon in Berlin at Bosch Connected World. Over 100 devices connected to a Hono instance to provide an API and build their solution on top of that. It was pretty successful. It was great because they users could focus on how to use the data, instead of how to connect.
 +
*Finish up the remaining work around security and authorization to have a first 0.5 release with the full telemetry implementation ready in the summer.
 +
*Rest + MQTT Adapter and custom ones to connect to LORA 1, but this one not standardized. Bosch camera (HTTP, but not RESTful).
  
* SCADA
 
** 0.2 release is out
 
*** built on Monday, ongoing testing. To be announced tomorrow.
 
*** inclusion of IEC standards is finally a GO!
 
** next version will be 0.3
 
*** more functionality back-ported from OpenSCADA
 
*** deprecate old functionality
 
*** to be released in ~6 months
 
  
* Kura
+
=== Review IoT Developer Survey Results ===
** Kura released just before Christmas a 1.1
+
'''Presenter: Ian Skerrett '''
*** support for openJDK Device I/O API
+
*Why isn’t automotive a top industry?
*** support for USB HID
+
*Hard to get customers to buy in to the security
*** service release of the network management bits
+
*It’s not cheap, and no one wants to pay for it
*** upgrade to Paho 1.1
+
*If it’s a feature, it’s taken for granted
** Moving forward, a 1.1.1 is planned for February
+
**We would have to check Node.js and JavaScript (in future remove Node.js)
 +
*Discrepancy between Linux and ARM on constrained devices - people seem to have answered they run Linux on constrained devices while the dominant architecture seems to be very constrained ARM Cortex-M architectures.
 +
*Slide #32 Security Boot to Secured boot
  
* Mahdi
+
Report: https://ianskerrett.wordpress.com/2017/04/19/iot-developer-trends-2017-edition/
** OM2M first release planned for March
+
Slides: https://www.slideshare.net/IanSkerrett/iot-developer-survey-2017
*** CoAP and HTTP bindings
+
*** better SQL/database abstraction
+
*** backend interface
+
** After that (Sept), a bridge to OneM2M will be added + a GUI
+
  
== Project release schedule ==
+
=== Proposal to Re-start IoT WG Steering Committee ===
 +
'''Presenter: Ian Skerrett '''
 +
*Purpose of the Steering Committee: To provide executive-level strategy, review, and oversight to the Eclipse IoT Working Group.
 +
*Why do we need a steering committee? Who would be on the steering committee.
 +
*Highly debated during the call, you can follow the discussion on the IoT-WG mailing list.
 +
Details: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1jBYPe1bojxvX3aka2fKk1FAGfmghIV284NK4ttiWucw/edit?usp=sharing
  
* Eclipse release train: every project joins and tools+plugins are synchronized
+
=== Update of Eclipse IoT Open Testbeds ===
* However for IoT we don't really have one single set of tools, but it would be great to provide a better view (calendar?) of what is in the pipe for the projects
+
'''Presenter: Benjamin Cabé '''
** PMI improvement?
+
*Testbeds are doing great and will be announced in two weeks prior to the Red Hat Summit in Boston, May 2-4.
** Jens suggests that this is a manual web page on iot.eclipse.org, or it could use the PMI API
+
*We will be hosting more testbeds in the future and every working group member is invited to participate or propose one.
  
== GPG Signing update ==
+
= Apr 26, 2017 (WG Call) =
  
* https://wiki.eclipse.org/GPG
+
== Participants ==
 +
*Benjamin Cabé, Eclipse Foundation
 +
*Roxanne Joncas, Eclipse Foundation
 +
*Ian Skerrett, Eclipse Foundation
 +
*Dejan Bosanac, Red Hat
 +
*Mick Limprecht, IOTRACKS
 +
*Kai Hudalla, Bosch SI
 +
*James Kirkland, Red Hat
 +
*Jens Reimann, Red Hat
 +
*Laurent Lagosanto, MicroEJ
 +
*David Bericat, Red Hat
 +
*Kai Kreuzer, Deutsche Telekom
 +
*Others who joined later
  
== LwM2M over MQTT ==
+
== Agenda ==
  
* https://wiki.eclipse.org/IoT/LwM2M_MQTT_Binding
+
== Testbed Update - Benjamin Cabé ==
 +
*New open IoT Testbed will be announced tomorrow
 +
*Demo system and implementation of the testbed, Red Hat, Eurotech, Samsung, Azul Systems and Codenvy collaborated on an Asset Tracking Testbed. It features, Eclipse Kura, Eclipse Kapua, Eclipse Che, Samsung ARTIK and OpenShift.
  
 +
Announcement: https://www.eclipse.org/org/press-release/20170426_iottestbeds.php
  
== IoT Challenge ==
+
Testbed on Eclipse IoT: https://iot.eclipse.org/testbeds/
  
* http://openiotchallenge.tumblr.com
+
Asset Tracking Testbed: https://iot.eclipse.org/testbeds/asset-tracking/
* Gift cards have been sent to 10 projects.
+
* Eclipse IoT Projects are encouraged to monitor Twitter and help the participants with any questions they may have
+
  
= Jan 15, 2015 (Marketing call) =
+
Benjamin’s blog post: https://blog.benjamin-cabe.com/2017/04/27/unveiling-the-eclipse-iot-open-testbeds
  
== Agenda ==
+
== Security policies for IoT projects - Jens Reimann ==
 +
We have been doing some work on the security policies.
  
* IoT Developer Survey
+
Changes:
* IoT Challenge
+
*New projects should know that there are security policies at the Eclipse Foundation
* Web site updates
+
*Encourage projects to put a link directing users to detailed information to report security issues against Eclipse IoT projects.
* Eclipse IoT Day in Dresden Germany
+
*New mandatory field = reporting security issues for Eclipse IoT projects in the release review. If there are none, just say none, but if there are just list them. If you can’t list them right away, you can just put the bugzilla link that is not publicly viewable to users.
* IoT Day in Grenoble, France
+
*We will write this new information down so new and existing projects know how to do it and will send an email to inform projects how to proceed
  
== Attendees ==
+
== Update on a new IoT WG charter and Steering Committee - Ian Skerrett ==
 +
*With each Working Group at the Eclipse Foundation, there is a steering committee that helps make decisions. We used to have one when the working group was called M2M, but it didn’t work out for many reasons. We would like to relaunch it to make sure that the things we are producing are in agreement with what the overall community wants.
 +
*We need to define roles and responsibilities in the charter.
 +
*If the community doesn’t agree on something eventually the Steering Committee can help.
  
* Benjamin Cabé
+
== Plans for IoT World - Roxanne Joncas ==
* Ian Skerrett
+
*Booth at the event, demoing the testbeds and Eclipse IoT Projects
* Jens Reimann
+
*If you’d like to demo, just let us know!
* Dave Woodard
+
* Julien Vermillard
+
* Bernd Fischer
+
* Mahdi Ben Alaya
+
  
== IoT Developer Survey ==
+
== IoT Day in London and Munich - Ian Skerrett ==
 +
*Eclipse IoT Day @ThingMonk will take place September 11 in London, UK http://thingmonk.com/ 
 +
*Should we do an IoT Day in Munich the week of Sept 11? General consensus is not to have an Eclipse IoT Munich is too close to ECE in September, maybe in February or have a presence in Spain.
  
* Goal is to understand what's going on in the market, and esp. for developers
 
* Jens volunteered to help elaborate the questions
 
  
== IoT Challenge ==
+
= May 24, 2017 (WG Call) =
  
* Deadline to enter is January 17
+
== Participants ==
* We have around 20 entries so far so we expect to end up with 30+
+
*Benjamin Cabé, Eclipse Foundation
* Participants will have to blog about their project and we will be promoting the content
+
*Roxanne Joncas, Eclipse Foundation
 +
*Ian Skerrett, Eclipse Foundation
 +
* Kai Hudalla, Bosch SI
 +
* Kai Hackbarth, Bosch
 +
* Laurent Lagosanto, MicroEJ
 +
* James Sutton
 +
* Kai Kreuzer, Deutsche Telekom
 +
* Jens Reimann, Red Hat
 +
* James Kirkland, Red Hat
 +
[ other people joined in late, feel free to add your name :-) ]
  
== Web site updates ==
+
== Agenda ==
 +
=== Update on IoT initiatives at OSGi Alliance -  a brief update on the work the OSGi Alliance is doing around IoT ===
 +
'''Presenter: Kai Hackbarth, Bosch'''
  
* iot.eclipse.org needs some love
+
OSGI IoT expert group started in 2015, before that there was a resident expert group focusing more on smart home, but we wanted to make it broader and include more IoT domains.
* On the home page:
+
*MQTT service adapter - receive MQTT messages and push them into OSGi EventAdmin. There is a connection to Eclipse Paho.
** List the projects
+
*CoAP - import CoAP services and export OSGi services (making them available via CoAP).
** Improve the contact form
+
*Liaison with OneM2M- Smart device template, HGI work started and closed last year, but OneM2M took over this work and is continuing it (Deutsche Telekom). Working on an IRP to see how we can use this with OSGi devices that already exist.
* Benjamin and Ian will draft an update for the website
+
*OneM2M interworking - How to integrate an OSGi environment into a OneM2M ecosystem. Meeting coming up in June and a joint workshop with OneM2M to work out the requirements.
 +
*White paper on security including a testing platform, test several vulnerabilities from an OSGi environment and tells you which rules or best practices to apply.
 +
*Other topics we are trying to push forward: real time Java, for example and specification around OPC-UA.
 +
*Everything is publicly available on GitHub: OSGi design
  
== Eclipse IoT Day in Dresden Germany ==
+
=== Planning for upcoming IoT Day in London, UK and Ludwigsburg, Germany ===
 +
'''Presenter: Roxanne Joncas, Eclipse Foundation'''
  
* Eclipse and IoT Workshop on March 18th
+
We are planning two upcoming Eclipse IoT days this fall.
* Looking for speakers
+
* 50+ participants
+
* SmartHome, EclipseSCADA, Vorto
+
* Bernd will promote the event on the Eclipse mailing list
+
  
== IoT Day in Grenoble, France ==
+
''' Eclipse IoT Day @ Thingmonk | Sept 11 - London, UK '''
 +
We hosted this event for the first time last year and it was great. It’s co-located with Thingmonk (Sept 12-13), a developer conference for people making IoT platforms.
 +
 +
''' Eclipse IoT Day @ ECE | Oct 24 - Ludwigsburg, Germany'''
 +
Third year we are hosting the event, last year was a success and we hope to make it even better this year.
  
* March 30-31 in Grenoble
+
*Monday, Oct 23 - Eclipse IoT WG Meeting
* See https://wiki.eclipse.org/Eclipse_IoT_Day_Grenoble_2015
+
Guest speakers
* One day sessions, one day workshop (OpenHAB, MQTT, RIOT OS)
+
Project Updates / Intros
 +
Collaboration Topics / Open Whiteboard
 +
 +
*Tuesday, Oct 24 - IoT Day
 +
Various expert speakers
 +
 +
*Wednesday, Oct. 25 - IoT HackDay
 +
Early planning stages
 +
All day event
 +
Hands-on experience Eclipse IoT technology. Opportunity for everyone to learn more about the ecosystem and to connect with other developers.
 +
 +
*PC - Volunteers for IoT @ ECE
 +
Thank you to: Istvan Rath, IncQuery Labs & Jens Reimann, Red Hat
 +
 +
'''CFPs are open'''
 +
Propose a talk for ECE IoT day on the EclipseCon Europe website.
 +
Talk ideas for Thingmonk iot@eclipse.org
 +
 +
'''Sponsorship'''
 +
Looking for sponsors for both events, email me roxanne@eclipse.org
  
 +
=== Update of sandbox servers for Eclipse IoT projects ===
 +
'''Presenter: Benjamin Cabé, Eclipse Foundation'''
  
 +
Right now we have 3 active sandbox server services
 +
*MQTT (Mosquitto)
 +
*CoAP (Californium)
 +
*LWM2M (Leshan)
 +
 +
Would be good to have sandboxes for:
 +
'''Kapua (Jens Reimann)'''
 +
*Have one already set-up, but it’s running an old version of Kapua. Missing component is user management, so we need to set that up (create account, etc.). This is planned for the upcoming release so we will wait before updating it since the release is close. Timeframe: around 4 weeks from now.
 +
*We will post this on iot.eclipse.org
  
----------------------------------------
+
'''Hono (Kai Hudalla)'''
 +
*Sandbox for hackathon, can we port it? We want to set it up. Main issue is making sure that people can use it and use their devices themselves and also get data from their devices without interfering too much with each other. It’s closely connected to authorization and connection and that is already implemented, but I would like to wait until we have this implemented in a more elegant way. Timeframe: 4-6 weeks
 +
*We need access to a VM that already has Docker or Kubernetes support.
 +
*Benjamin will look at whether webmaster can provide a Container Engine setup vs. vanilla Compute Engine VM.
  
= Archives =
+
'''Unide'''
 +
*The Unide team already has a google machine and will setup their sandbox shortly.
  
== 2014 ==
+
=== Industry 4.0/Smart Manufacturing White Paper – we would like to start drafting a white paper to describe how Eclipse IoT projects can be used for Industry 4.0 ===
 +
'''Presenter: Ian Skerrett, Eclipse Foundation'''
  
[[IoT/M2MIWG/Weekly call minutes/2014 Archives]]
+
*Last white paper (3 stacks) was very successful, pulled together what our community/ecosystem is about and also helped the industry understand what is need to build IoT solutions.
 +
*We want to do something similar for Industry 4.0 / Smart Manufacturing, problem, what solutions we need to look at, road map for the future.
 +
*Volunteers to help with it as subject matter experts
 +
*Process: get a small group of people, draft outline, draft content, working group will review it and provide input.
 +
*Any volunteers? The following individuals volunteered during the call: James Kirkland (Red Hat), Dave Woodard (Eurotech), Dan Gross (Samsung)
 +
*Publish before this before EclipseCon Europe (Oct 24)
  
== 2013 ==
 
  
[[IoT/M2MIWG/Weekly call minutes/2013 Archives]]
+
=== Review of Eclipse IoT Open Testbeds Initiative ===
 +
'''Presenter: Benjamin Cabé, Eclipse Foundation'''
  
== 2012 ==
+
*The feedback has been very positive. Helps us talk to the wider industry about what we are doing.
 +
*Current testbed (Asset Tracking Management) was launched at Red Hat Summit. Well received and was demoed onsite. Red Hat, Codenvy, Azul Systems, Samsung, Eurotech. Many different demos at the show so people could see data coming in from different assets and view different parts of the demo. All the code is hosted on GitHub and is open source. Users can look at the code and see how it’s running in the gateway and the cloud (leveraging Kapua), check how it’s connected to sensors, etc.)
 +
*Next steps: Improving the documentation for the current Asset Tracking Management Testbed. We would welcome your help to help us review and contribute to the documentation.
 +
*We will be working on other testbeds, the next scenario is around industrial automation / smart manufacturing and leverage other technologies that weren’t necessarily covered in the first testbed. Feat maybe PPMP, OPC-UA, Hono. Work on nice dashboards to see everything like data display and analysis in a nice way. Unide is working on visualization so that could be leveraged with Kapua.
 +
*Benjamin is writing an outline/strawman to visualize how it will look like but please share your ideas and we will collaborate to make all the pieces fit together over the next months.
  
[[IoT/M2MIWG/Weekly call minutes/2012 Archives]]
+
=== Review of Eclipse IoT participation in IoT World last week ===
 +
'''Presenter: Ian Skerrett, Eclipse Foundation'''
  
== 2011 ==
+
* It was a great event (about 14,000) in Santa Clara, California on May 16-18
 +
*By far the largest IoT Show in North America and so it means a lot of exposure
 +
*The knowledge of what we are doing continues to rise. People already understand that we do IoT and have been using Kura, MQTT (Paho/Mosquitto) so they are already part of the user community. One person loved hawkBit and said they launched their product with it!
 +
*The show included a lot of vendors (hardware, gateways) there was a lot more talk of edge computing.
 +
*Analytics will becoming equally important so we are trying to encourage vendors to join the WG.
 +
*With Red Hat we had a passport game (Azul, Eurotech and Red Hat) it was effective to get people to all the booths and showed nice collaboration between members
 +
*Testbed approach, people wanted to buy it. UPS and FedEx came up and said it was interesting and got the point that we have technology that they could be using.
 +
*IOTRACKS demoed with us and they were also very busy! They focused on Eclipse ioFog and got great exposure. Keep it in mind for next year, we have a spot for you.
 +
 
 +
 
 +
----------------------------------------
 +
 
 +
= Archives =
  
[[IoT/M2MIWG/Weekly call minutes/2011 Archives]]
+
* [[IoT/M2MIWG/Weekly call minutes/2016 Archives]]
 +
* [[IoT/M2MIWG/Weekly call minutes/2015 Archives]]
 +
* [[IoT/M2MIWG/Weekly call minutes/2014 Archives]]
 +
* [[IoT/M2MIWG/Weekly call minutes/2013 Archives]]
 +
* [[IoT/M2MIWG/Weekly call minutes/2012 Archives]]
 +
* [[IoT/M2MIWG/Weekly call minutes/2011 Archives]]

Latest revision as of 10:14, 12 March 2018

The Internet of Things Industry Working Group is holding bi-weekly calls on Tuesday at 17:00CET.
Participation to these calls is restricted to members of the IWG, but the minutes are public. We alternate between marketing-focused calls (upcoming events coordination, community outreach, etc.), and technical calls mostly targeting project leads, to synchronize cross-project activities.

The meetings are held via the Zoom conferencing service. Details to access the meeting are the following:

Join from PC, Mac, Linux, iOS or Android: [https://eclipse.zoom.us/j/646159255 ]

Or Telephone:

  • Dial(for higher quality, dial a number based on your current location):
    • US: +1 646 876 9923 or +1 669 900 6833 or +1 408 638 0968
    • Canada: +1 647 558 0588
    • France: +33 (0) 1 8288 0188
    • Germany: +49 (0) 30 3080 6188
    • Italy: +39 069 480 6488
    • United Kingdom: +44 (0) 20 3695 0088

Meeting ID: 646 159 255 International numbers available: [1]

Or iPhone one-tap :

  • US: +16468769923,,976345400# or +16699006833,,976345400#




Contents

Feb 1, 2017 (WG Call)

Participants

  • Dan Gross, Samsung
  • James Sutton, IBM
  • David Bericat, Red Hat
  • Laurent Lagosanto, MicroEJ
  • Roxanne Joncas, Eclipse Foundation
  • Benjamin Cabé, Eclipse Foundation
  • Brad Micklea, Codenvy

Agenda

Eclipse IoT Testbeds: review strategy and next steps.

Work on a set of industry oriented (vertical solutions) to showcase a technical solution and showcase the Eclipse projects and vendor ecosystem. Eclipse IoT Members working together to set-up the testbed and create a demo that runs 24/7 on the Eclipse servers More details: https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1nmdi-cmw_O-7W2qZKRHMN-3gw0WHxE75llcV0nMhS-U/edit?usp=sharing Proposed Testbed scenario around Asset Tracking Management: https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1KF7yxv5Dnk6b2a574HPtU5pHR5q7wvsT4skKjGDz1Q4/edit?usp=sharing There are many options for collaboration

  • Dan Gross: Samsung interested in participating - Kura gateway using ARTIK.
  • Laurent Lagosanto: Potential use case for Eclipse Edje.
  • David Bericat: Excited and look forward to working with everyone.

Next Steps: Stay tuned, we will be updating the group at large and scheduling individual meetings.

2. MQTT 5: Update from Ian Craggs / James Sutton on what’s in MQTT 5 and the expected impact on Eclipse Paho / Mosquitto and downstream adopters.

Big set of changes:

  • Use of the publish/subscribe message pattern which provides one-to-many message distribution and decoupling of applications.
  • A messaging transport that is agnostic to the content of the payload.
  • Three qualities of service for message delivery:
    • At most once", where messages are delivered according to the best efforts of the operating environment. Message loss can occur. This level could be used, for example, with ambient sensor data where it does not matter if an individual reading is lost as the next one will be published soon after.
    • At least once", where messages are assured to arrive but duplicates can occur.
    • "Exactly once", where messages are assured to arrive exactly once. This level could be used, for example, with billing systems where duplicate or lost messages could lead to incorrect charges being applied.
  • A small transport overhead and protocol exchanges minimized to reduce network traffic.
  • A mechanism to notify interested parties when an abnormal disconnection occurs.

Notes from the meeting:

  • Any request sent (and reply received) can have embedded metadata. This will be used for e.g letting a publisher know about *what* happened to the packet in addition to just acknowledging it
    • The CONNECT packet can contain information regarding what QoS are supported by the server
    • Supporting QoS 2 on the server is not mandatory anymore
    • Scalability
  • It will affect the Paho client and so a new Paho client will be created.
    • Improve API
    • Feedback from community
    • Work nicely with the new MQTT 5 features
  • The complete move will take a while, MQTT 3 will not go away anytime soon. It will be a parallel process. The previous versions of the client will be maintained. Some users might choose to use MQTT 3 since it’s more lightweight.

IMPORTANT: Get your feedback in as soon as possible, because in a few months it will be finalized, so review the specifications. View working draft 10 dated January 4: https://www.oasis-open.org/committees/documents.php?num_per_wg=10&wg_abbrev=mqtt

3. PMC topics: project documentation, build machines, Docker, …

Skipped this item - not enough PMC members on the call

4. Misc. updates

Open IoT Challenge: we will schedule a live hangout for project leads to answer any technical questions the participant may have. https://iot.eclipse.org/open-iot-challenge/

Feb 15, 2017 (WG Call)

Participants

  • Kai Kreuzer, Deutsche Telekom
  • Jens Reimann, Red Hat
  • Dejan Bosanac, Red Hat
  • Gerald Glocker, Bosch SI
  • Shuai li, CEA-LIST
  • Roxanne Joncas, Eclipse Foundation
  • Ian Skerrett, Eclipse Foundation
  • Benjamin Cabé, Eclipse Foundation
  • Dave Woodard, Eurotech
  • Ian Craggs, IBM
  • Kilton Hopkins, IOTRACKS

Agenda

Presentation new project proposal: Eclipse Ditto (Digital Twins)

Presenter: Gerald Glocker, Bosch SI

Bosch will be proposing a new project called “Eclipse Ditto” soon for managing state of Digital Twins. Hopefully the proposal will be made next week. The Ditto Project will be a mediator between IoT Devices and the state of their Digital Twins. Digital Twin is not really a fixed term. Bosch views Digital Twin as is a holistic view of all capabilities and aspects of a device/product asset including its digital representation. Ultimate goal is to use the digital twin as a service. There would be a higher level API to work with individual devices and you wouldn’t have to know what is happening in the background. The plan is to integrate with Eclipse Vorto and Eclipse Kapua.

Read the one-page: https://wiki.eclipse.org/File:Ditto_Project.png

  • Questions:

Can changes to the state be made on the device of the twin, or is it only one way? The state of the device could be in both directions. Changes to the state on the device or the digital twin would change the state of the other one. A twin is not necessarily 1:1 device, a twin can represent many things (device + JVM + …)

Project Proposal: https://projects.eclipse.org/proposals/eclipse-ditto

Presentation by CEA-List on Model Design Environment for IoT

Presenter: Shuai li CEA-List

Update on Testbeds

Presenter Benjamin Cabé

Testbeds aim to showcase the software stack available from our open source projects, as well as the various offers that the WG members provide on top if it (cloud solutions, analytics platforms, hardware, integration services, …).

The first testbed will be a solution for Asset Tracking Management, more specifically tracking the delivery of valuable parcels. The end-to-end solution will comprise embedded sensors that can be attached to the parcels to monitor e.g temperature or vibration, IoT gateways in order to collect the sensor data (for example inside the delivery truck), process it, and report it to a cloud backend where it can be further analyzed, or made available to 3rd party apps. Members currently participating: Red Hat + Eurotech

A wiki page describes the solution https://wiki.eclipse.org/IoT/Testbeds/Asset_Tracking_Management and will be completed as other members jump on the train to extend the code scenario with their respective solutions. The code to replicate and demonstrate the testbed will be shared through https://github.com/eclipselabs/eclipseiot-testbed-assettracking.

Participation to the testbeds is open to any member of the IoT WG, and more details on the overall strategy are available at https://goo.gl/UeDekI.

Eclipse IoT Day in San Jose and Unconference

Presenter: Ian Skerrett

We’re looking for use-case type speakers to present how their company uses Eclipse IoT projects. Last year at ECE 2016 we had a speaker from the Deutsche Bahn train system explain how Eclipse Paho and MQTT are used in their train systems.

Ideally the speaker would be from the Bay area since this is short notice. Please let us know if you know anyone that could be a good candidate.

Eclipse Leshan Press Release

Presenter: Ian Skerrett

Today, February 15, we issued a press release about Eclipse Leshan and Eclipse Waakama “Eclipse IoT Announces Support for OMA LightweightM2M 1.0 Device Management Standard” Read it here: http://www.eclipse.org/org/press-release/20170215_lwm2m.php

IoT World plans

Presenter: Ian Skerrett

Eclipse IoT will have a booth at IoT World and would like to coordinate with other members. We won’t be doing the pavilion since not enough members wanted to participate, but we will get in touch soon to partner with interested members, such as IOTRACKS, that showed interest in participating.

IoT Developer Survey

Presenter: Roxanne Joncas

On February 7, we launched the third annual IoT Developer Survey. Please take the time to complete the survey and to share it with your coworkers and community.


Feb 15, 2017 (WG Call)

Participants

  • Kai Kreuzer, Deutsche Telekom
  • Jens Reimann, Red Hat
  • Dejan Bosanac, Red Hat
  • Gerald Glocker, Bosch SI
  • Shuai li, CEA-LIST
  • Roxanne Joncas, Eclipse Foundation
  • Ian Skerrett, Eclipse Foundation
  • Benjamin Cabé, Eclipse Foundation
  • Dave Woodard, Eurotech
  • Ian Craggs, IBM
  • Kilton Hopkins, IOTRACKS

Agenda

Presentation new project proposal: Eclipse Ditto (Digital Twins)

Presenter: Gerald Glocker, Bosch SI

Bosch will be proposing a new project called “Eclipse Ditto” soon for managing state of Digital Twins. Hopefully the proposal will be made next week. The Ditto Project will be a mediator between IoT Devices and the state of their Digital Twins. Digital Twin is not really a fixed term. Bosch views Digital Twin as is a holistic view of all capabilities and aspects of a device/product asset including its digital representation. Ultimate goal is to use the digital twin as a service. There would be a higher level API to work with individual devices and you wouldn’t have to know what is happening in the background. The plan is to integrate with Eclipse Vorto and Eclipse Kapua.

Read the one-page: https://wiki.eclipse.org/File:Ditto_Project.png

  • Questions:

Can changes to the state be made on the device of the twin, or is it only one way? The state of the device could be in both directions. Changes to the state on the device or the digital twin would change the state of the other one. A twin is not necessarily 1:1 device, a twin can represent many things (device + JVM + …)

Project Proposal: https://projects.eclipse.org/proposals/eclipse-ditto

Presentation by CEA-List on Model Design Environment for IoT

Presenter: Shuai li CEA-List

Update on Testbeds

Presenter Benjamin Cabé

Testbeds aim to showcase the software stack available from our open source projects, as well as the various offers that the WG members provide on top if it (cloud solutions, analytics platforms, hardware, integration services, …).

The first testbed will be a solution for Asset Tracking Management, more specifically tracking the delivery of valuable parcels. The end-to-end solution will comprise embedded sensors that can be attached to the parcels to monitor e.g temperature or vibration, IoT gateways in order to collect the sensor data (for example inside the delivery truck), process it, and report it to a cloud backend where it can be further analyzed, or made available to 3rd party apps. Members currently participating: Red Hat + Eurotech

A wiki page describes the solution https://wiki.eclipse.org/IoT/Testbeds/Asset_Tracking_Management and will be completed as other members jump on the train to extend the code scenario with their respective solutions. The code to replicate and demonstrate the testbed will be shared through https://github.com/eclipselabs/eclipseiot-testbed-assettracking.

Participation to the testbeds is open to any member of the IoT WG, and more details on the overall strategy are available at https://goo.gl/UeDekI.

Eclipse IoT Day in San Jose and Unconference

Presenter: Ian Skerrett

We’re looking for use-case type speakers to present how their company uses Eclipse IoT projects. Last year at ECE 2016 we had a speaker from the Deutsche Bahn train system explain how Eclipse Paho and MQTT are used in their train systems.

Ideally the speaker would be from the Bay area since this is short notice. Please let us know if you know anyone that could be a good candidate.

Eclipse Leshan Press Release

Presenter: Ian Skerrett

Today, February 15, we issued a press release about Eclipse Leshan and Eclipse Waakama “Eclipse IoT Announces Support for OMA LightweightM2M 1.0 Device Management Standard” Read it here: http://www.eclipse.org/org/press-release/20170215_lwm2m.php

IoT World plans

Presenter: Ian Skerrett

Eclipse IoT will have a booth at IoT World and would like to coordinate with other members. We won’t be doing the pavilion since not enough members wanted to participate, but we will get in touch soon to partner with interested members, such as IOTRACKS, that showed interest in participating.

IoT Developer Survey

Presenter: Roxanne Joncas

On February 7, we launched the third annual IoT Developer Survey. Please take the time to complete the survey and to share it with your coworkers and community.

Mar 1, 2017 (WG Call)

Participants

  • Benjamin Cabé, Eclipse Foundation
  • Roxanne Joncas, Eclipse Foundation
  • Ian Skerrett, Eclipse Foundation
  • Jens Reimann, Red Hat
  • György Réthy, Ericsson
  • Dave, IOTRACKS
  • Kilton Hopkins, IOTRACKS
  • Michael Limprecht, IOTRACKS
  • James Sutton, IBM
  • Ian Craggs, IBM
  • Laurent Lagosanto, MicroEJ
  • Henryk Konsek, Red Hat
  • Kai Kreuzer, Deutsche Telekom
  • Others who joined later

Agenda

Presentation from the Eclipse Titan team at Ericsson

Presenter: György Réthy

Eclipse Titan is a tool built around the TTCN-3 testing standard, and it is very relevant for IoT as it can be used to test MQTT, CoAP, oneM2M, etc. communication scenarios. It was created by Ericsson 15 years ago and has been used internally ever since. It was open sourced 2 years ago at the Eclipse Foundation.

  • oneM2MTestter version 1.0 has been released
  • No need to learn a new language
  • Pilot with CoAP for modeling Testing

Question: Can you execute it in a headless mode? Yes, command line tools is the controller. There are also Eclipse plugins available for test executive that control the command line component.

More information is available in the slides.

Eclipse Foundation Security policy

Presenter: Ian Skerrett

Security is obviously a key concern for IoT so we would like to make sure everyone is familiar with the Security Policy in place at the Eclipse Foundation, and that all projects implement appropriate to let their users know how to report security issues, and know how to handle them.

There is a security team at the Eclipse Foundation, Jens Reimann and Julien Vermillard are on this team to represent IoT.

One of the problems: On Bugzilla, you can mark a bug as private and only the security team will see it and assign it from appropriate project leaders. For projects that use GitHub issues, there isn’t a way to make an issue private. These projects need a link on their site that instructs users to open any security vulnerability bugs on Buzgilla.

All vulnerabilities will eventually need to be made public and the goal is to resolve any vulnerability within *3 months*. After 3 months, the vulnerability will be madepublic.

Eclipse IoT Day in San Jose and Unconference

Presenter: Ian Skerrett

We’re looking for use-case type speakers to present how their company uses Eclipse IoT projects. Last year at ECE 2016 we had a speaker from the Deutsche Bahn train system explain how Eclipse Paho and MQTT are used in their train systems.

Ideally the speaker would be from the Bay area since this is short notice. Please let us know if you know anyone that could be a good candidate.

For the IoT WG Meeting, feel free to suggest guest speakers. We already invited the OMA Group to give an update on LWM2M.

IoT Developer Survey

Presenter: Roxanne Joncas

On February 7, we launched the third annual IoT Developer Survey. Please take the time to complete the survey and to share it with your coworkers and community.

Apr 10, 2017 (WG Call)

Participants

  • Benjamin Cabé, Eclipse Foundation
  • Roxanne Joncas, Eclipse Foundation
  • Ian Skerrett, Eclipse Foundation
  • James Drummond, Codenvy
  • Kai Hudalla, Bosch SI
  • Kilton Hopkins, IOTRACKS
  • Jens Reimann, Red Hat
  • Howard Green, Azul Systems
  • Thibault Rouffineau, Canonical
  • David Bericat, Red Hat
  • Dan Gross, Samsung
  • Others who joined later

Agenda

Hono Update

Presenter: Kai Hudalla

  • 0.5 M6 Milestone of Hono released this week.
  • 3-4 weeks in between each release. It’s about continuously improving the system. Working on the telemetry system right now. Stability and resilience has improved, when services fail - how do they reconnect and start working without manual interference.
  • Hackathon in Berlin at Bosch Connected World. Over 100 devices connected to a Hono instance to provide an API and build their solution on top of that. It was pretty successful. It was great because they users could focus on how to use the data, instead of how to connect.
  • Finish up the remaining work around security and authorization to have a first 0.5 release with the full telemetry implementation ready in the summer.
  • Rest + MQTT Adapter and custom ones to connect to LORA 1, but this one not standardized. Bosch camera (HTTP, but not RESTful).


Review IoT Developer Survey Results

Presenter: Ian Skerrett

  • Why isn’t automotive a top industry?
  • Hard to get customers to buy in to the security
  • It’s not cheap, and no one wants to pay for it
  • If it’s a feature, it’s taken for granted
    • We would have to check Node.js and JavaScript (in future remove Node.js)
  • Discrepancy between Linux and ARM on constrained devices - people seem to have answered they run Linux on constrained devices while the dominant architecture seems to be very constrained ARM Cortex-M architectures.
  • Slide #32 Security Boot to Secured boot

Report: https://ianskerrett.wordpress.com/2017/04/19/iot-developer-trends-2017-edition/ Slides: https://www.slideshare.net/IanSkerrett/iot-developer-survey-2017

Proposal to Re-start IoT WG Steering Committee

Presenter: Ian Skerrett

  • Purpose of the Steering Committee: To provide executive-level strategy, review, and oversight to the Eclipse IoT Working Group.
  • Why do we need a steering committee? Who would be on the steering committee.
  • Highly debated during the call, you can follow the discussion on the IoT-WG mailing list.

Details: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1jBYPe1bojxvX3aka2fKk1FAGfmghIV284NK4ttiWucw/edit?usp=sharing

Update of Eclipse IoT Open Testbeds

Presenter: Benjamin Cabé

  • Testbeds are doing great and will be announced in two weeks prior to the Red Hat Summit in Boston, May 2-4.
  • We will be hosting more testbeds in the future and every working group member is invited to participate or propose one.

Apr 26, 2017 (WG Call)

Participants

  • Benjamin Cabé, Eclipse Foundation
  • Roxanne Joncas, Eclipse Foundation
  • Ian Skerrett, Eclipse Foundation
  • Dejan Bosanac, Red Hat
  • Mick Limprecht, IOTRACKS
  • Kai Hudalla, Bosch SI
  • James Kirkland, Red Hat
  • Jens Reimann, Red Hat
  • Laurent Lagosanto, MicroEJ
  • David Bericat, Red Hat
  • Kai Kreuzer, Deutsche Telekom
  • Others who joined later

Agenda

Testbed Update - Benjamin Cabé

  • New open IoT Testbed will be announced tomorrow
  • Demo system and implementation of the testbed, Red Hat, Eurotech, Samsung, Azul Systems and Codenvy collaborated on an Asset Tracking Testbed. It features, Eclipse Kura, Eclipse Kapua, Eclipse Che, Samsung ARTIK and OpenShift.

Announcement: https://www.eclipse.org/org/press-release/20170426_iottestbeds.php

Testbed on Eclipse IoT: https://iot.eclipse.org/testbeds/

Asset Tracking Testbed: https://iot.eclipse.org/testbeds/asset-tracking/

Benjamin’s blog post: https://blog.benjamin-cabe.com/2017/04/27/unveiling-the-eclipse-iot-open-testbeds

Security policies for IoT projects - Jens Reimann

We have been doing some work on the security policies.

Changes:

  • New projects should know that there are security policies at the Eclipse Foundation
  • Encourage projects to put a link directing users to detailed information to report security issues against Eclipse IoT projects.
  • New mandatory field = reporting security issues for Eclipse IoT projects in the release review. If there are none, just say none, but if there are just list them. If you can’t list them right away, you can just put the bugzilla link that is not publicly viewable to users.
  • We will write this new information down so new and existing projects know how to do it and will send an email to inform projects how to proceed

Update on a new IoT WG charter and Steering Committee - Ian Skerrett

  • With each Working Group at the Eclipse Foundation, there is a steering committee that helps make decisions. We used to have one when the working group was called M2M, but it didn’t work out for many reasons. We would like to relaunch it to make sure that the things we are producing are in agreement with what the overall community wants.
  • We need to define roles and responsibilities in the charter.
  • If the community doesn’t agree on something eventually the Steering Committee can help.

Plans for IoT World - Roxanne Joncas

  • Booth at the event, demoing the testbeds and Eclipse IoT Projects
  • If you’d like to demo, just let us know!

IoT Day in London and Munich - Ian Skerrett

  • Eclipse IoT Day @ThingMonk will take place September 11 in London, UK http://thingmonk.com/
  • Should we do an IoT Day in Munich the week of Sept 11? General consensus is not to have an Eclipse IoT Munich is too close to ECE in September, maybe in February or have a presence in Spain.


May 24, 2017 (WG Call)

Participants

  • Benjamin Cabé, Eclipse Foundation
  • Roxanne Joncas, Eclipse Foundation
  • Ian Skerrett, Eclipse Foundation
  • Kai Hudalla, Bosch SI
  • Kai Hackbarth, Bosch
  • Laurent Lagosanto, MicroEJ
  • James Sutton
  • Kai Kreuzer, Deutsche Telekom
  • Jens Reimann, Red Hat
  • James Kirkland, Red Hat

[ other people joined in late, feel free to add your name :-) ]

Agenda

Update on IoT initiatives at OSGi Alliance - a brief update on the work the OSGi Alliance is doing around IoT

Presenter: Kai Hackbarth, Bosch

OSGI IoT expert group started in 2015, before that there was a resident expert group focusing more on smart home, but we wanted to make it broader and include more IoT domains.

  • MQTT service adapter - receive MQTT messages and push them into OSGi EventAdmin. There is a connection to Eclipse Paho.
  • CoAP - import CoAP services and export OSGi services (making them available via CoAP).
  • Liaison with OneM2M- Smart device template, HGI work started and closed last year, but OneM2M took over this work and is continuing it (Deutsche Telekom). Working on an IRP to see how we can use this with OSGi devices that already exist.
  • OneM2M interworking - How to integrate an OSGi environment into a OneM2M ecosystem. Meeting coming up in June and a joint workshop with OneM2M to work out the requirements.
  • White paper on security including a testing platform, test several vulnerabilities from an OSGi environment and tells you which rules or best practices to apply.
  • Other topics we are trying to push forward: real time Java, for example and specification around OPC-UA.
  • Everything is publicly available on GitHub: OSGi design

Planning for upcoming IoT Day in London, UK and Ludwigsburg, Germany

Presenter: Roxanne Joncas, Eclipse Foundation

We are planning two upcoming Eclipse IoT days this fall.

Eclipse IoT Day @ Thingmonk | Sept 11 - London, UK We hosted this event for the first time last year and it was great. It’s co-located with Thingmonk (Sept 12-13), a developer conference for people making IoT platforms.

Eclipse IoT Day @ ECE | Oct 24 - Ludwigsburg, Germany Third year we are hosting the event, last year was a success and we hope to make it even better this year.

  • Monday, Oct 23 - Eclipse IoT WG Meeting

Guest speakers Project Updates / Intros Collaboration Topics / Open Whiteboard

  • Tuesday, Oct 24 - IoT Day

Various expert speakers

  • Wednesday, Oct. 25 - IoT HackDay

Early planning stages All day event Hands-on experience Eclipse IoT technology. Opportunity for everyone to learn more about the ecosystem and to connect with other developers.

  • PC - Volunteers for IoT @ ECE

Thank you to: Istvan Rath, IncQuery Labs & Jens Reimann, Red Hat

CFPs are open Propose a talk for ECE IoT day on the EclipseCon Europe website. Talk ideas for Thingmonk iot@eclipse.org

Sponsorship Looking for sponsors for both events, email me roxanne@eclipse.org

Update of sandbox servers for Eclipse IoT projects

Presenter: Benjamin Cabé, Eclipse Foundation

Right now we have 3 active sandbox server services

  • MQTT (Mosquitto)
  • CoAP (Californium)
  • LWM2M (Leshan)

Would be good to have sandboxes for: Kapua (Jens Reimann)

  • Have one already set-up, but it’s running an old version of Kapua. Missing component is user management, so we need to set that up (create account, etc.). This is planned for the upcoming release so we will wait before updating it since the release is close. Timeframe: around 4 weeks from now.
  • We will post this on iot.eclipse.org

Hono (Kai Hudalla)

  • Sandbox for hackathon, can we port it? We want to set it up. Main issue is making sure that people can use it and use their devices themselves and also get data from their devices without interfering too much with each other. It’s closely connected to authorization and connection and that is already implemented, but I would like to wait until we have this implemented in a more elegant way. Timeframe: 4-6 weeks
  • We need access to a VM that already has Docker or Kubernetes support.
  • Benjamin will look at whether webmaster can provide a Container Engine setup vs. vanilla Compute Engine VM.

Unide

  • The Unide team already has a google machine and will setup their sandbox shortly.

Industry 4.0/Smart Manufacturing White Paper – we would like to start drafting a white paper to describe how Eclipse IoT projects can be used for Industry 4.0

Presenter: Ian Skerrett, Eclipse Foundation

  • Last white paper (3 stacks) was very successful, pulled together what our community/ecosystem is about and also helped the industry understand what is need to build IoT solutions.
  • We want to do something similar for Industry 4.0 / Smart Manufacturing, problem, what solutions we need to look at, road map for the future.
  • Volunteers to help with it as subject matter experts
  • Process: get a small group of people, draft outline, draft content, working group will review it and provide input.
  • Any volunteers? The following individuals volunteered during the call: James Kirkland (Red Hat), Dave Woodard (Eurotech), Dan Gross (Samsung)
  • Publish before this before EclipseCon Europe (Oct 24)


Review of Eclipse IoT Open Testbeds Initiative

Presenter: Benjamin Cabé, Eclipse Foundation

  • The feedback has been very positive. Helps us talk to the wider industry about what we are doing.
  • Current testbed (Asset Tracking Management) was launched at Red Hat Summit. Well received and was demoed onsite. Red Hat, Codenvy, Azul Systems, Samsung, Eurotech. Many different demos at the show so people could see data coming in from different assets and view different parts of the demo. All the code is hosted on GitHub and is open source. Users can look at the code and see how it’s running in the gateway and the cloud (leveraging Kapua), check how it’s connected to sensors, etc.)
  • Next steps: Improving the documentation for the current Asset Tracking Management Testbed. We would welcome your help to help us review and contribute to the documentation.
  • We will be working on other testbeds, the next scenario is around industrial automation / smart manufacturing and leverage other technologies that weren’t necessarily covered in the first testbed. Feat maybe PPMP, OPC-UA, Hono. Work on nice dashboards to see everything like data display and analysis in a nice way. Unide is working on visualization so that could be leveraged with Kapua.
  • Benjamin is writing an outline/strawman to visualize how it will look like but please share your ideas and we will collaborate to make all the pieces fit together over the next months.

Review of Eclipse IoT participation in IoT World last week

Presenter: Ian Skerrett, Eclipse Foundation

  • It was a great event (about 14,000) in Santa Clara, California on May 16-18
  • By far the largest IoT Show in North America and so it means a lot of exposure
  • The knowledge of what we are doing continues to rise. People already understand that we do IoT and have been using Kura, MQTT (Paho/Mosquitto) so they are already part of the user community. One person loved hawkBit and said they launched their product with it!
  • The show included a lot of vendors (hardware, gateways) there was a lot more talk of edge computing.
  • Analytics will becoming equally important so we are trying to encourage vendors to join the WG.
  • With Red Hat we had a passport game (Azul, Eurotech and Red Hat) it was effective to get people to all the booths and showed nice collaboration between members
  • Testbed approach, people wanted to buy it. UPS and FedEx came up and said it was interesting and got the point that we have technology that they could be using.
  • IOTRACKS demoed with us and they were also very busy! They focused on Eclipse ioFog and got great exposure. Keep it in mind for next year, we have a spot for you.



Archives

Back to the top