Skip to main content
Jump to: navigation, search

Difference between revisions of "IoT/M2MIWG/Weekly call minutes"

< IoT
m (Paho - Andy)
Line 15: Line 15:
 
SIP clients can call 713@asterisk.eclipse.org, then enter pin 68764.
 
SIP clients can call 713@asterisk.eclipse.org, then enter pin 68764.
  
 +
= February 11, 2014 =
 +
 +
== Agenda ==
 +
 +
* Live demos on the website
 +
* Ecosystem promotion on the website
 +
* Eclipse IoT/M2M Rebranding update
 +
 +
== Participants ==
 +
 +
* Benjamin Cabé
 +
* Mattias Kovatsch
 +
* David Sciamma
 +
* Julien Vermillard
 +
* Jens Reimann
 +
* Andy Piper
 +
* Jurgen Rose
 +
* Ian Skerrett
 +
* Hilary Tomasson
 +
 +
== Live demos ==
 +
 +
* The Eclipse IoT website should help demonstrate and showcase the open-source IoT technologies available at Eclipse. Benjamin suggests that project leads should think about the demo they'd have to contribute
 +
* Jens: SCADA team has a limited bandwidth to work on a live demonstrator over the next couple weeks
 +
* Eurotech
 +
** It's been discussed to try to have an always running version of the people counter. Hilary will synchronize with Marco
 +
* Mattias: it is hard to provide live/web demos of CoAP. Video would be an option
 +
** A test server could be hosted on iot.eclipse.org, and you could download Copper for Firefox (CoAP plugin) for doing some tests
 +
* Benjamin suggests to have videos of the projects that are diffcult to demonstrate live
 +
 +
* '''ACTION ITEM''': Hilary/Marco and Ian to discuss about people counter demo
 +
* '''ACTION ITEM''': Ian to ping Bitreactive regarding what demo content they would have
 +
* '''ACTION ITEM''': Benjamin to follow up with Mattias to setup a CoAP sandbox server at eclipse.org
 +
 +
== Ecosystem promotion on the website ==
 +
 +
* The ecosystem webpage draft available at http://iot.eclipse.org/ecosystem.html
 +
* After a discussion between Hilary and Ian, it's agreed to rework the page to list the Steering Committee members at the top of the page
 +
* Ian: each member company needs to provide product description, and company description
 +
* Mattias: could we provide an overview of the building blocks that are part of the ecosystem?
 +
* Ian: we need to create a better presentation of what the projects do together
 +
 +
* '''ACTION ITEM''': Benjamin to update ecosystem webpage to list SC members at the top
 +
* '''ACTION ITEM''': Ian to ask members to provide content on the WG mailing list
 +
 +
== Eclipse IoT/M2M Rebranding update ==
 +
 +
* Ian provides the group with an updated on the Eclipse IoT rebranding
 +
** Logos are available for anyone to use: https://wiki.eclipse.org/IOT/Resources#Eclipse_IoT_logo
 +
** Website: we didn't really redo it, just renamed M2M->IoT, and updated the logo
 +
** Wiki has been moved to http://wiki.eclipse.org/IoT
 +
** Still TODO is renaming the mailing-list
 +
 +
* '''ACTION ITEM''': Ian to create iot-wg mailing-list and subscribe everybody who's on m2m-iwg to this new list
 +
 +
== Additional topics ==
 +
 +
=== Google Summer of Code (GSoC) ===
 +
 +
* Google has a program for university students. Students are being paid for working on OSS projects (4500USD per student)
 +
* First step in the process is to come up with some ideas
 +
* Next is mentoring the students
 +
* IDEAS:
 +
** Visualization for MQTT / Ponte
 +
** ...
 +
 +
* '''ACTION ITEM''': ALL people interested should '''please complete the dedicated wiki page''' https://wiki.eclipse.org/Google_Summer_of_Code_2014_Ideas#Ideas
  
 
= January 28, 2014 =
 
= January 28, 2014 =

Revision as of 05:37, 12 February 2014

The Internet of Things Industry Working Group is holding weekly calls on Tuesday at 9am ET.
Participation to these calls is restricted to members of the IWG, but the minutes are public.

The meetings are held via teleconference. The regular call-in numbers are shown below (if possible, please used caller paid numbers). There are a few local / toll-free dial in numbers, but you may want to setup a SIP client on your computer if possible.

  • North America 1-866-569-4992
  • Germany 49-692-2224-6059
  • France 33-(0)-17-070-8535
  • UK 0800-033-7806
  • Switzerland 41-44-580-2115
  • Sweden 46-85-063-8386
  • Italy 003-902-3604-8268

Participant conference extension: 713, then enter pin 68764

SIP clients can call 713@asterisk.eclipse.org, then enter pin 68764.

February 11, 2014

Agenda

  • Live demos on the website
  • Ecosystem promotion on the website
  • Eclipse IoT/M2M Rebranding update

Participants

  • Benjamin Cabé
  • Mattias Kovatsch
  • David Sciamma
  • Julien Vermillard
  • Jens Reimann
  • Andy Piper
  • Jurgen Rose
  • Ian Skerrett
  • Hilary Tomasson

Live demos

  • The Eclipse IoT website should help demonstrate and showcase the open-source IoT technologies available at Eclipse. Benjamin suggests that project leads should think about the demo they'd have to contribute
  • Jens: SCADA team has a limited bandwidth to work on a live demonstrator over the next couple weeks
  • Eurotech
    • It's been discussed to try to have an always running version of the people counter. Hilary will synchronize with Marco
  • Mattias: it is hard to provide live/web demos of CoAP. Video would be an option
    • A test server could be hosted on iot.eclipse.org, and you could download Copper for Firefox (CoAP plugin) for doing some tests
  • Benjamin suggests to have videos of the projects that are diffcult to demonstrate live
  • ACTION ITEM: Hilary/Marco and Ian to discuss about people counter demo
  • ACTION ITEM: Ian to ping Bitreactive regarding what demo content they would have
  • ACTION ITEM: Benjamin to follow up with Mattias to setup a CoAP sandbox server at eclipse.org

Ecosystem promotion on the website

  • The ecosystem webpage draft available at http://iot.eclipse.org/ecosystem.html
  • After a discussion between Hilary and Ian, it's agreed to rework the page to list the Steering Committee members at the top of the page
  • Ian: each member company needs to provide product description, and company description
  • Mattias: could we provide an overview of the building blocks that are part of the ecosystem?
  • Ian: we need to create a better presentation of what the projects do together
  • ACTION ITEM: Benjamin to update ecosystem webpage to list SC members at the top
  • ACTION ITEM: Ian to ask members to provide content on the WG mailing list

Eclipse IoT/M2M Rebranding update

  • ACTION ITEM: Ian to create iot-wg mailing-list and subscribe everybody who's on m2m-iwg to this new list

Additional topics

Google Summer of Code (GSoC)

  • Google has a program for university students. Students are being paid for working on OSS projects (4500USD per student)
  • First step in the process is to come up with some ideas
  • Next is mentoring the students
  • IDEAS:
    • Visualization for MQTT / Ponte
    • ...

January 28, 2014

Agenda

  • Introduction of all the project leaders so they know each other and the projects
  • Q&A on the Eclipse project creation process to make sure everyone is moving forward with their project.
  • Identification of future points of collaboration

Participants

  • Benjamin - Sierra Wireless
  • Jens and Jurgen - IBH, Eclipse SCADA
  • Mattias - ETH Zurich, Californium
  • Jan - IBM research, Concierge
  • David Navarro and Hatem - Intel, LWM2M
  • Thomas - Eclipse SmartHome
  • Wes and Marco - Eurotech, Kura
  • Andy - CloudFoundry, Paho
  • Ian - Eclipse Fdn
  • Mahdi - LAAS, OM2M
  • Thierry - LAAS, OM2M

Eclipse SCADA – Jens & Jürgen

  • SCADA system based on Eclipse and OSS components
  • Industrial sites and plants with PLC
    • data acquisition
    • middleware for processing the data
    • client applications to visualize the whole data
  • Status and Next steps:
    • Project proposed in 2013
    • Source code is in the repository
    • First milestones of 0.1 version are available
    • Estimated release date for 0.1: next few weeks
    • Need to create a website for the project

Californium – Mattias

  • Californium is a Java impl of the CoAP protocol
  • Implemented during Mattias' PhD
  • Has been used for validating IETF drafts
  • Good scalability results
  • Comes with a DTLS (security) implementation
  • Idea is now to make it a "real" open-source project
  • Status and Next steps:

Concierge - Jan

  • Concierge also started at ETH Zurich as an implementation of OSGi R3 meant to run on constrained devices
  • Footprint is 314KB
  • Concierge is def. interested in other projects using Concierge and providing feedback
  • Status and Next steps:
    • Code is currently being brought to R5 compliance (93% complete so far)
      • 2 missing features so far: Resolver hooks, new way to acquire resources via bundle wiring.
      • Initial contribution of the code needs some clean-up but should be done in the next days

LWM2M - David & Hatem

  • LWM2M is an OSS implementation of OMA LWM2M
  • David is involved in Device Management technologies at OMA
  • LWM2M targets IoT devices
  • In June 2013 a first open-source version of lwm2m was released on github, see https://github.com/01org/liblwm2m
  • Project proposed at Eclipse in Dec-2013
  • Status and Next steps:
    • Creation review to be scheduled soon

Eclipse SmartHome - Thomas

  • UI, rules, persistence services, etc. for controlling and automating things
  • Eclipse SmartHome is created
  • There are many Eclipse projects that SmartHome is interested in collaborating with:
    • Concierge
    • Californium
    • Paho is used already
    • Kura
  • Status and Next steps:
    • All CQs are submitted / some CQs are still waiting for approval but check-in was granted
    • First binary build should be available "soon", most likely this quarter

Kura - Wes & Marco

  • 45 CQs, most of them approved as part of the parallel IP process / 14 CQs still pending
  • Code will be on Eclipse's github repo
  • Some CQs might not be approved
    • libdbus - which is dual-licensed academic free-license / LGPL
    • gxt - graphical toolkit on top of GWT
  • Status and Next steps:
    • First release should be in a couple weeks (when pending CQs will have been resolved)

Paho - Andy

  • MQTT implementations in Java, JS, Python, C, C++, Objective-C, Lua, Go
  • Objective-C has just passed parallel IP
  • Standardization work at OASIS – to be concluded in the next few months
  • The teams works closely with the Mosquitto project
    • Mosquitto is an MQTT broker
  • Status and Next steps:
    • Paho intends to join Luna and release C and Java clients, probably JS

OM2M - Mahdi & Thierry

  • OM2M is an open-source Java implementation of the ETSI M2M standard
  • Service capability layer for device, gateway, and network
  • RESTful design to enhance interop
  • HTTP (Thinking about integrating CoAP and MQTT protocols).
  • OSGi-fication using Equinox, build using Maven Tycho
  • Status and Next steps:
    • Trademark review pending, next step will be to schedule a creation review

Collaboration between projects

  • Andy: would that make sense to have kind of a cross-projects mailing-list?
    • Ian suggests to start with the m2m-iwg mailing-list for now
  • Ian: is there a need for a build infrastructure for e.g building for the Raspberry Pi
    • Jens: yes! building for Windows is also a requirement for EclipseSCADA
    • Marco: would be great to have ready-to-use binaries for popular open-hw platforms
  • Ian suggests to open bugs for capturing requirements from the projects about build infrastructure and the like
  • Mattias: it would be great if the m2m.eclipse.org website would feature a more visual representation of how the projects are working/connected with each other
  • IoT day - April 9th
    • Idea would be to have a one-day webinar
      • If projects have resources they would like to feature, this would be a great opportunity
      • ACTION: Benjamin and Ian to put together a more formal plan about this event
  • Ian reminds project leaders that if they need help with creating a logo for their projects, he can assist
  • Ian: it would be great if by the end of 2014 this group would be able to provide a "ready-to-use" platform for IoT

January 14, 2014

Agenda

Participants

  • Marco Carrer
  • Ian Skerrett
  • Benjamin Cabé

Events

  • Discussion on potential events
    • Eurotech will present Kura during IoT Day in Grenoble
    • Marco will see if Eurotech ppl from London are interested in attending FOSDEM in Brussels Feb 1-2.

Project leads sync call

  • Benjamin and Ian will coordinate with project leads to invite them to the call in two weeks time to share progress and experiences with the Eclipse process

Archives

2013

Machine-to-Machine/M2MIWG/Weekly call minutes/2013 Archives

2012

Machine-to-Machine/M2MIWG/Weekly call minutes/2012 Archives

2011

Machine-to-Machine/M2MIWG/Weekly call minutes/2011 Archives

Back to the top