Notice: this Wiki will be going read only early in 2024 and edits will no longer be possible. Please see: https://gitlab.eclipse.org/eclipsefdn/helpdesk/-/wikis/Wiki-shutdown-plan for the plan.
IdAS Use Cases
IdAS API Use Cases
- Consumer has URI of a Context (ContextId) and wishes to open it. There are no constraints on the provider.
- Consumer has URI of a Context and wishes to open it using a specific provider.
- Consumer wishes to determine which providers are available for a particular Context (URI).
- Consumer wishes to import a Context whose data is represented in a specific format (e.g., LDAP).
- Consumer wishes to find out which Contexts are available using the currently-installed providers.
IdAS Registry Use Cases
- Consumer wants to create/open a "private" Context, for which he has a URI. (1) Gets a list of potential factories for this Context (IdASRegistry.getContextFactories(URI)). (2) Chooses one and creates a Context object (factory.createContext) then opens it (context.open). (3) If another user of the service calls IdASRegistry.getContexts, this URI does not appear in the list.
- Consumer wants to publish a Context, for which he has a URI. (1) Calls IdASRegistry.registerContext(URI) -- registry will test the URI against the existing factories (factory.canCreate), and will throw an exception if there is no factory that claims to handle this URI. (Note that the user does not need to create or open this ContextRef to register it.) (2) If another user of the service calls IdASRegistry.getContexts, this URI will appear in the list.