Example Shared Text Editor
ECF Committer Ken Gilmer has implemented a shared text editor in the org.eclipse.ecf.example.collab.editor plugin.
First, get the plugin from anonymous CVS. See the ECF dev resources page for a description of how to get this plugin and the necessary dependencies.
- First create a text file in a project.
- Go to eclipse preferences, team->ECF Editor Sharing. Adjust connection parameters as necessary. (http://kengilmer.com/shared_editor/s2.jpg)
- Right click on file and select Team -> Initiate Shared Session (http://kengilmer.com/shared_editor/s1.jpg)
- At this point, you have created a shared editor instance. Now others can connect.
- Load another instance of eclipse, configure such that they point to the same server and share container names.
- File->New->Collaboration->Shared Editor Session. (http://kengilmer.com/shared_editor/s3.jpg)
- The dialog will now show a window asking for local container, and will list all active editor sessions. These sessions are global to the ECF container name specified in preferences. (http://kengilmer.com/shared_editor/s4.jpg)
- Select your file. The editor will be created, and saved to whatever project container is specified.
- Start typing. You should see changes on both editors. (http://kengilmer.com/shared_editor/s5.jpg)