Skip to main content
Jump to: navigation, search

Difference between revisions of "Equinox/p2/Meetings/20081208"

< Equinox‎ | p2‎ | Meetings
(Agenda)
 
(2 intermediate revisions by the same user not shown)
Line 5: Line 5:
 
* New Collector [https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=256355 256355] [https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=256411 256411]
 
* New Collector [https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=256355 256355] [https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=256411 256411]
 
* Interfaces for metadata types [https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=256359 256359]
 
* Interfaces for metadata types [https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=256359 256359]
 +
 +
== Attendees ==
 +
 +
* Andrew Cattle
 +
* Andrew Niefer
 +
* Curtis Windatt
 +
* Dave Stevenson
 +
* DJ Houghton
 +
* Doug Schaefer
 +
* Henrik Lindberg
 +
* Ian Bull
 +
* John Arthorne
 +
* Pascal Rapicault
 +
* Scott Lewis
 +
* Simon Kaegi
 +
* Susan McCourt
 +
* Tom Watson
 +
 +
== Minutes ==
 +
* Plan review
 +
** Dependency on update manager:
 +
*** Need to do investigation to provide replacement concepts, but don't plan to remove UM in 3.5.
 +
*** People can already run without UM if desired
 +
** Metadata authoring workflow
 +
*** Some work has been done, but need to map out the vision describing how metadata goes from development time authoring, through build into deployed systems
 +
** Install handler replacement
 +
*** Work has been moved to M5
 +
** Complete integration of publisher with build
 +
*** Andrew N will write up description of remaining work
 +
*** Launcher branding and product publishing remains to be done
 +
** Repository association work
 +
*** Some work done in M4 already ([http://bugs.eclipse.org/234213 bug 234213])
 +
*** Remaining question is whether to scope updates to a subset of available repositories
 +
* Testing
 +
** Tuesday is a test pass. Pascal covering Mac. John covering Vista. DJ covering Linux. Everyone welcome to help out with testing effort
 +
** Thursday is test authoring day to focus on filling in coverage in our automated test suites
 +
* Support for discovering different repository types
 +
** Need a mechanism to set order of repository type lookup
 +
** Current system only works well if there is only one type of repository at a given location
 +
** There is a current bug where a local repository containing a plugins directory can be interpreted as an extension location repository
 +
* New collector work
 +
** SimplePlanner#gatherAvailableInstallableUnits currently takes all IUs in the world and stores them in an array. This is not scalable for large remote or database-backed repositories
 +
** Collector has a dual role: it holds the result of a query, but can also be subclassed for doing post-processing on the result of the query, short-circuiting the query, etc
 +
** p2 UI code has the more interesting use cases for queries/collectors - wrapping query results in UI model, etc
 +
* Custom implementations of metadata objects
 +
** Want to use interfaces rather than classes for metadata API to allow for alternate implementations
 +
** Interfaces would still be specified as not to be implemented by clients
 +
* Version numbers
 +
** Awaiting further review of version patch. Please read the proposal and give your feedback.

Latest revision as of 17:33, 8 December 2008

Agenda

  • Plan / M4 wrap up
  • Testing
  • Support for what "type" of repository will be loaded bug# 222251
  • New Collector 256355 256411
  • Interfaces for metadata types 256359

Attendees

  • Andrew Cattle
  • Andrew Niefer
  • Curtis Windatt
  • Dave Stevenson
  • DJ Houghton
  • Doug Schaefer
  • Henrik Lindberg
  • Ian Bull
  • John Arthorne
  • Pascal Rapicault
  • Scott Lewis
  • Simon Kaegi
  • Susan McCourt
  • Tom Watson

Minutes

  • Plan review
    • Dependency on update manager:
      • Need to do investigation to provide replacement concepts, but don't plan to remove UM in 3.5.
      • People can already run without UM if desired
    • Metadata authoring workflow
      • Some work has been done, but need to map out the vision describing how metadata goes from development time authoring, through build into deployed systems
    • Install handler replacement
      • Work has been moved to M5
    • Complete integration of publisher with build
      • Andrew N will write up description of remaining work
      • Launcher branding and product publishing remains to be done
    • Repository association work
      • Some work done in M4 already (bug 234213)
      • Remaining question is whether to scope updates to a subset of available repositories
  • Testing
    • Tuesday is a test pass. Pascal covering Mac. John covering Vista. DJ covering Linux. Everyone welcome to help out with testing effort
    • Thursday is test authoring day to focus on filling in coverage in our automated test suites
  • Support for discovering different repository types
    • Need a mechanism to set order of repository type lookup
    • Current system only works well if there is only one type of repository at a given location
    • There is a current bug where a local repository containing a plugins directory can be interpreted as an extension location repository
  • New collector work
    • SimplePlanner#gatherAvailableInstallableUnits currently takes all IUs in the world and stores them in an array. This is not scalable for large remote or database-backed repositories
    • Collector has a dual role: it holds the result of a query, but can also be subclassed for doing post-processing on the result of the query, short-circuiting the query, etc
    • p2 UI code has the more interesting use cases for queries/collectors - wrapping query results in UI model, etc
  • Custom implementations of metadata objects
    • Want to use interfaces rather than classes for metadata API to allow for alternate implementations
    • Interfaces would still be specified as not to be implemented by clients
  • Version numbers
    • Awaiting further review of version patch. Please read the proposal and give your feedback.

Back to the top