|Edit this menu|
- 1 Time
- 2 Dial-in Info
- 3 Attendees (Tentative)
- 4 Proposed Agenda
- 4.1 Review of the Agenda
- 4.2 Review of Current Work
- 4.3 New Work Items
- 4.4 Road Map (Long Term) Work Items
- 4.5 Upcoming Events
- 5 Next Steps, Action Items
- 6 Next Meeting
|Berlin, Stockholm, Salzburg||5:00:00 PM||UTC+1 hours|
|Helsinki (Finland)||6:00:00 PM||UTC+2 hours|
|London (U.K.)||4:00:00 PM||UTC+0 hour|
|San Francisco (U.S.A. - California)||8:00:00 AM||UTC-8 hours|
|Sao Paulo (Brazil - São Paulo)||2:00:00 PM||UTC-2 hours|
Click here for Complete Listing of World Clock Timezones.
- US: 1877 825 8522
- UK: 0808 234 7914
- Brazil: 0800 891 6634
- Finland: 0800 11 6433
- Sweden: 020 79 3867 or 020 088 4643
- More international call-in Numbers, see: EMIWG/InternationalDialInNumbers
International Toll Number: US: +1 702 495 1500
Passcode: 9190565826 (CHANGED from last meeting!!)
- Eclipse Foundation (Ian Skerrett)
- Motorola (Dino Brusco, Christian Kurzke, Gustavo, Eric Cloninger)
- Nokia ([Rich Bartlett], Ronnie King (Carbide.c++) )
- Craig Setera
- RIM (Ken Wallis (eclipse team lead), Matt Whiteman, Adam Abramski, Cassidy Gentle)
- Sony Ericsson (Thomas Westing)
- Intel (Bob Spencer (OSS technologies, MobLin architect)
- Genuitec (Wayne Parrott, Maher Masri, Todd Williams) project Firefly
- Mark Rogalski (eRCP Project)
Review of the Agenda
(anyone have some last minute Agenda items)
Review of Current Work
Mobile Tools for Java Device Support
There is an ongoing discussion about "Extension Points to register devices", see: http://dev.eclipse.org/mhonarc/lists/dsdp-mtj-dev/threads.html#00788
How this relates to the MADK:
- The proposed "discovery and download" of vendor SDK's could use this mechanism to register devices which are supported by this SDK.
- Without such a functionality, the MADK has no "official and documented" API to perform this functionality.
Members of the EMIWG are encouraged to review and participate in this discussion on the MTJ mailing list.
As a side-note: This proposed Extension Point will modify the API of MTJ, and has possible impact on a 1.0 release schedule. There is a risk that with current resources in MTJ project this change cannot be included in Galileo train release.
Craig Setera: Report on Device Fragmentation
Craig to go over his presentation of Device Fragmentation
Download slides HERE: https://opensource.motorola.com/sf/go/doc1363?nav=1
- Can this be applicable to "other than Java" developers?
Evaluation of alternative Eclipse Packaging mechanisms
Contacted Ian/Doug/Bjorn at the Foundation to find out details about the Eclipse Packaging Project. According to Foundation, the code is currently not in active development. Plans to re-activate project in spring timeframe.
When further investigating, it seems the EPP project had a different focus, and would actually create packages OF Eclipse, not FOR Eclipse.
Most promising avenue is currently using straight P2 Mechanism, see more about general P2 ideas at:
Proposal to create a UI Workflow for MADK similar to: http://wiki.eclipse.org/Equinox_p2_UI_3.5_workflows Volunteers?
New Work Items
Impact of Packaging Mechanism on SDK vendors
Create a list of pro/con of using P2 packaging to distribute SDK.
- Easy, existing download mechanism and packaging format
- Seamless integration into Eclipse
- Benefit from automatic Update Manager mechanism
- Requires re-package of existing distribution format
- Volunteers to evaluate impact
- May require server side changes?
- How to handle Authentication/log-in on SDK vendor server? (e.g. Motodev user login, Ericsson Developer World, Forum Nokia & others)
In the Q2 Timeframe, which platforms should we focus on?
- Windows (Vista??)
Note: There is many mobile developers on Mac and Linux which currently are not supported by Netbeans Mobility pack
Road Map (Long Term) Work Items
Evaluate Mobile Device fragmentation topics (as addressed in last call)
- Do members have exprience with any of the existing solutions?
- WURFL: http://wurfl.sourceforge.net/index.php
- Mobile Distillery: http://www.mobile-distillery.com/home.htm
Mobile Distillery is also now shipping a plug-in to support Netbeans developers. Anyone has contacts there to see if there is interest to create an Eclipse version?
How are we integrating to the TmL and Tools for Linux projects?
How can we support mobile Web development?
Evaluation of Wireless Toolkit 3.0
Volunteers to create a competitive analysis of WTK3?
There is several possible impacts of WTK.
- Tight integration of Emulator and Netbeans
- "SDK" cannot be downloaded without a mini-version of Netbeans.
- Not clear if it still supports UEI
- Will we be able to "import" WTK 3 into MTJ?
- Does WTK3 support the import of UEI SDKs? (e.g. for 3rd parties)
It is also not clear if UEI has been changed/extended by WTK3. There is no official specification update released.
Next Steps, Action Items
Review proposed date/time for Face to Face meeting: http://wiki.eclipse.org/EMIWG/Face2Face-EclipseCon2009