|Edit this menu|
- 1 Meeting Logistics
- 2 Proposed Agenda
- 2.1 Roll Call and Review of the Agenda (5 Minutes)
- 2.2 Dino: Brief Update from the Business Side (10 minutes)
- 2.3 Review of Ongoing Technical Work Items
- 2.3.1 Christian/Craig/(Gustavo?): Mobile Tools for Java Device/SDK registration (5 minutes)
- 2.3.2 Craig Setera: Report on Device Fragmentation proposal (10 minutes)
- 2.3.3 MADK SDK Packaging (15 minutes)
- 2.3.4 Integration with WTK 3.0
- 2.4 Business related work items (15 minutes)
- 3 Next Steps
|Berlin, Stockholm, Salzburg||5:00:00 PM||UTC+1 hours|
|Helsinki (Finland)||6:00:00 PM||UTC+2 hours|
|London (UK)||4:00:00 PM||UTC+0 hour|
|San Francisco (USA. - California)||8:00:00 AM||UTC-8 hours|
|Sao Paulo (Brazil - São Paulo)||2:00:00 PM||UTC-2 hours|
Click here for Complete Listing of World Clock Timezones.
- US & Canada: 1877 825 8522
- UK: 0808 234 7914
- Brazil: 0800 891 6634
- Finland: 0800 11 6433
- Sweden: 020 79 3867 or 020 088 4643
- More international call-in Numbers, see: EMIWG/InternationalDialInNumbers
International Toll Number: US: +1 702 495 1500
Passcode: 9190565826 (CHANGED from last meeting!!)
- Eclipse Foundation (Ian Skerrett)
- Motorola (Dino Brusco, Christian Kurzke, Gustavo, Eric Cloninger)
- Nokia ([Rich Bartlett], Ronnie King (Carbide.c++) )
- Craig Setera
- RIM (Ken Wallis (eclipse team lead), Matt Whiteman, Adam Abramski, Cassidy Gentle)
- Sony Ericsson (Thomas Westing)
- Intel (Bob Spencer (OSS technologies, MobLin architect)
- Genuitec (Wayne Parrott, Maher Masri, Todd Williams) project Firefly
- Mark Rogalski (eRCP Project)
Roll Call and Review of the Agenda (5 Minutes)
(anyone have some last minute Agenda items)
Dino: Brief Update from the Business Side (10 minutes)
Brief overview of proposed future Meeting Structure and Work Streams.
Clearer separation of topics
- Technical work streams
- Business topics
Inclusiveness of non-Java mobile devices
How to better proceed with:
- Native target development (TML, Tools for Linux, etc)
- Web development
Reminder of Member benefits for upcoming events:
- Joint Marketing
- Voting on
- Deployment requirements and formats (topic discussed later)
- Inclusion on the SDK download portal
Call for Proposal for a "more recognizable" name for EMIWG and MADK.
Review of Ongoing Technical Work Items
Note: Craig is only available for 1/2 hour, so topics that relate to his work and MTJ are moved to the beginning of the meeting.
Christian/Craig/(Gustavo?): Mobile Tools for Java Device/SDK registration (5 minutes)
There is an ongoing discussion about "Extension Points to register devices", see: http://dev.eclipse.org/mhonarc/lists/dsdp-mtj-dev/threads.html#00788
How this relates to the MADK:
- The proposed "discovery and download" of vendor SDK's could use this mechanism to register devices which are supported by this SDK.
- Without such a functionality, the MADK has no "official and documented" API to perform this functionality.
Members of the EMIWG are encouraged to review and participate in this discussion on the MTJ mailing list.
Current "favourite" proposal is to use a mechanism similar to JDT JDK registration.
As a side-note: This proposed Extension Point will modify the API of MTJ, and has possible impact on a 1.0 release schedule. There is a risk that with current resources in MTJ project this change cannot be included in Galileo train release.
Craig Setera: Report on Device Fragmentation proposal (10 minutes)
Craig to go over his presentation of Device Fragmentation
Download slides HERE: https://opensource.motorola.com/sf/go/doc1363?nav=1
- Can this be applicable to "other than Java" developers?
- Should we create a use/case and comparison matrix?
- Do members have exprience with any of the existing solutions?
Mobile Distillery is also now shipping a plug-in to support Netbeans developers. Anyone has contacts there to see if there is interest to create an Eclipse version?
MADK SDK Packaging (15 minutes)
Evaluation of existing Eclipse Packaging mechanisms
Contacted Ian/Doug/Bjorn at the Foundation to find out details about the Eclipse Packaging Project. According to Foundation, the code is currently not in active development. Plans to re-activate project in spring timeframe.
When further investigating, it seems the EPP project had a different focus, and would actually create packages OF Eclipse, not FOR Eclipse.
Most promising avenue is currently using straight P2 Mechanism, see more about general P2 ideas at:
Proposal to create a UI Workflow for MADK similar to: http://wiki.eclipse.org/Equinox_p2_UI_3.5_workflows Volunteers?
Impact of Packaging and Distribution Mechanism on SDK vendors
Create a list of pro/con of using P2 packaging to distribute SDK.
- Easy, existing download mechanism and packaging format
- Seamless integration into Eclipse
- Benefit from automatic Update Manager mechanism
- Requires re-package of existing distribution format
- Volunteers to evaluate impact
- May require server side changes?
- How to handle Authentication/log-in on SDK vendor server? (e.g. Motodev user login, Ericsson Developer World, Forum Nokia & others)
Next Steps for Packaging
Can we set a deadline for a
- proposal (Packaging & Deployment)
- review (2 weeks)
- vote/decision (members?)
Integration with WTK 3.0
SUNs new WTK is tightly coupled with Netbeans Mobility Pack.
- How can we integrate WTK into MADK?
- How do other vendors distribute their SDK's for inclusion into the WTK?
- How can we minimize the effort for SDK vendors to support both, WTK and MADK
In the Q2 Timeframe, which platforms should we focus on?
- Windows (Vista??)
Mac and Linux are currently not supported by Netbeans Mobility pack - Would be a good way to differentiate
How are we integrating to the TmL and Tools for Linux projects?
How can we support mobile Web development?
Evaluation of Wireless Toolkit 3.0
Volunteers to create a competitive analysis of WTK3?
There is several possible impacts of WTK.
- Tight integration of Emulator and Netbeans
- "SDK" cannot be downloaded without a mini-version of Netbeans.
- Not clear if it still supports UEI
- Will we be able to "import" WTK 3 into MTJ?
- Does WTK3 support the import of UEI SDKs? (e.g. for 3rd parties)
It is also not clear if UEI has been changed/extended by WTK3. There is no official specification update released.
Review proposed date/time for Face to Face meeting: http://wiki.eclipse.org/EMIWG/Face2Face-EclipseCon2009
Propose next phone call (Business focused) for February 11th.