EMF Feature Model
EMF Feature Model is an open source project under the Eclipse Modeling Framework Technology Project (EMFT).
During the last years Feature Modeling has become the "standard" for variability management in the field of Software Product Lines. Feature Models are easy to understand and provide a generic way to represent variability information, independent of a specific application domain. Several independent projects using the Eclipse platform / EMF have each defined their own meta model for feature models. Although these meta models have considerable structural differences, their core semantics are similar. A brief description of feature models can be found at Wikipedia. The EMF Feature Model project will define a standard representation of Feature Models inside the Eclipse platform. The intent is to provide a uniform representation for variability information for tools based on the Eclipse Modeling Framework. This will allow easy and consistent access to variability-related information, such as variation points and variant decisions, in DSLs, M2M transformations, and other contexts where variability information is produced or consumed.
The objectives of the EMF Feature Model project are the following:
- Define Feature Meta Model
- Provide a graphical Feature Diagram Editor
- Define an extensible Evaluation Engine Framework and provide an exemplary engine implementation
- Provide extensible Editors and Visualizations for the EMF Feature Models.
- Version 0.8.0 Release !!!
- New Feature Diagram Editor
- Adapted Common EPL Version
- Enhanced Wizard Categories
- Valid for Juno and Kepler
- Moved to eclipse common build infrastructure
- New nightly update site online
2012-12-04 The EMF Feature Model Project has moved from svn to git
2012-10 The next release of the feature model will contain the Feature Diagram Editor initially developed at the FZI and the KIT in Karlsruhe Feature Diagram Editor as well as an xtext editor initially developed by itemis Product Line DSL.
Available Update Sites
Update Site Installation
Installing from the update site:
- Open: Help -> Install New Software ...
- Insert Update Site URL in "Work with"-Field
- Press Enter, wait, and choose the features you would like to install
- EMF FM Metamodel and Base Components: org.eclipse.featuremodel.metamodel.git (browse, stats, fork on OrionHub)
- EMF FM to pure::variants Bridge: org.eclipse.featuremodel.pvbridge.git (browse, stats, fork on OrionHub)
- EMF FM Diagramm Editor: org.eclipse.featuremodel.editor.diagram.git (browse, stats, fork on OrionHub)
Version Number Handling
In the EMF Feature Model project, we use the Eclipse standard handling for version numbering Version Numbering.
The version numbers of Plugins evolve according to changes in those plugins.
The version numbers of features are aligned with project releases.
For example, with project release 0.8.0 all features are set to version number 0.8.0, but the meta model has not changed, so the plugins remain with version 0.7.1.
- Book: "Feature-Oriented Software Product Lines - Concepts and Implementation", Apel, S., Batory, D., Kästner, C., Saake, G.
- Familienähnlichkeit Variantenmanagement mit dem EMF Feature Model und Xtext - Andreas Graf und Malte Jannasch
Eclipse Magazin 1.2013
- Heise Developer News 05.09.12