Difference between revisions of "ECF/Ganymede Roadmap"
m (→Minor Releases)
m (ECF Ganymede Roadmap moved to ECF/Ganymede Roadmap)
Revision as of 09:20, 22 December 2010
This page is the Eclipse Communication Framework's roadmap for the Ganymede Simultaneous Release.
- 1 API Compatibility
- 2 API Additions
- 3 Version Numbering
- 4 Release Dates
- 5 Development Themes
As a goal, backward compatibility will be maintained at least until the ECF major release (i.e. 2.0.0). This will allow old applications to run on top of any new API until the next major release/Ganymede. If we find that we must break backward compatibility for some reason prior to 2.0.0 then we will do so on a minor release only.
API additions will generally take place only with minor releases (i.e. Y in 1.Y.0 version numbers). The current expectation is that in Ganymede, such minor releases will occur approximately every 2 months until the Ganymede release train begins, and then correspond to milestone releases for Ganymede (every six weeks from Dec 2007-May 2008).
In general, ECF will follow the version numbering described in Version Numbering for Europa Simultaneous Release.
ECF will have several maintenance releases for the ECF 1.0 stream (and all other releases). The number of these maintenance releases will be determined by the number of bugs identified after each release. These maintenance releases will be limited to bug fixes and will not generally include externally visible API changes.
ECF's maintenance releases will follow the conventions described in Version Numbering. Specifically, the service segment (i.e. Z in 1.0.Z.v20070625) will change by increments of 100 for each maintenance release e.g. 1.0.100 for first maintenance release, 1.0.200 for second, etc. See the overall example of the version numbering scheme for further details.
When backward compatible API changes occur (e.g. API additions), this will result in a change to the minor segment (e.g. Y in 1.Y.0.v20050507). ECF will attempt to schedule such minor releases approximately every 2 months until the Ganymede milestone releases begin (~Dec 2007), and once they do start, then synchronize minor releases with milestone releases (approximately 6 weeks apart).
Minor releases will also contain feature additions and UI changes/enhancements.
ECF will have a major segment changes (i.e. X in X.0.0.A) with potentially backward compatibility breaking changes. The current expectation is that these will occur every year as part of the simultaneous release (i.e. 2.0.0) and subsequent simultaneous releases. If project conditions changes occur (i.e. more resources), it is possible that major releases can/would occur more frequently.
ECF will also begin having an automated build, allowing both developers and others to work with daily integration builds if they so choose.
1-per day via ECF automated build.
- 1.0.1 Target: Friday, July 13th, 2007, Actual: Saturday, July 14th, 2007.
- 1.0.2 Target: Friday, Aug 3, 2007, Actual: Friday, Aug 3, 2007.
- 1.0.3 Actual: Thursday, Sept 27, 2007.
- 1.2.0 Target: Friday, Oct 19th, 2007, Actual: Friday, Oct 19, 2007. Click here to download
- 2.0.0M4 (Target: Ganymede M4 - Dec 14, 2007)
- 2.0.0M5 (Target: Ganymede M5 - early Feb, 2008)
- 2.0.0M6 (Target: Ganymede M6 - mid March/EclipseCon 2008)
- 2.0.0M7 (Target: Ganymede M7 - early May, 2008)
- 2.0.0RC1 (Target: Ganymede RC1 - late May, 2008)
- 2.0.0RC4 (Target: Ganymede RC4 - early June, 2008)
- ECF 2.0.0/Ganymede (Target: Late June, 2008)
Some development themes (in no particular order for time being)
Voice Over IP
UI for Chat/IM/Contacts List
- Equinox Provisioning/File Transfer
- Equinox JAAS Integration
- Cola (Bug 170866, CQ 1558)
- Generic Server
- JMS Servers
- Mylyn synchronous context sharing
New Providers and Existing Provider Improvement
- Sametime (Bug 146954)
- AIM (Bug 146646)
- Yahoo (Bug 146955, Bug 148854)
- Service Discovery (OSGi discovery, JXTA, Jini, UPnP, etc)
- JMS providers