< E4 | Resources
Revision as of 09:39, 19 September 2008 by Mober.at+eclipse.gmail.com (New page: = Overall Goals and Themes = * Allow Eclipse projects to better model real-world setup of projects (Theme: Ease Of Use). ** Be comp...)
Overall Goals and Themes
- Allow Eclipse projects to better model real-world setup of projects (Theme: Ease Of Use).
- Be competitive with (Visual Studio, Slickedit, Netbeans, IDEA). Integrate with (Maven, Proprietary project systems...)
- Make it easier for end-users to get their stuff into Eclipse (Theme: Facilitated On-Boarding)
- Support pervasive distributed workspaces
- Improve concurrency and programming model
- Do not break basic assumptions that clients of Eclipse Resources have today. What are these assumptions?
- Support the current form of resources today, and more.
- Support file-list based projects.
- Support natural organization of projects (physical nesting).
Open an existing Eclipse 3.x project
Workspace compatibility is a must.
Import an existing DevStudio project
- Just toss the wsp / wpj files into Eclipse and use CDT's parsers immediately. Provide the same views as Devstudio.
Debug an Exectuable without a Project
- Assume that the Exe has debug info embedded. start debugging it immediately without having to set up a project. Support static analysis / parsing and symbol navigation seamlessly.
Support mixed Java/C++ projects easily
- On-boarding an existing team must be as easy as double clicking a file.