DSDP/MTJ/Phone Meeting 17-June-2008
Conference Call Details
|Meeting Title:||Mobile Tools for the Java Platform Conference Call|
|Date & Time:||11 AM PDT [Click here for you local time]|
|US Toll free:||+1-877-825-8522|
|Int'l or US Toll:||+1-770-615-1247|
- Confirm the current scope as documented on the Wiki pages.
- Go through the status and assign a responsible party for each of the activity
- Understand the next steps to do the official release (moving from a nightly build to an integration build, stable build and finally the release after a few release candidates? In between the releases there may be maintenance builds. We should also set dates for each of the intended builds â you can see an example here, for Ganymede: http://wiki.eclipse.org/Ganymede_Simultaneous_Release, see Milestones and Release Candidates)
- Preverifier status summary
- Proposals for a MTJ roadmap items in the 2008/2009 timeframe
- Integration of Non-UEI SDKs, is it possible, what are the missing pieces (documentation?)
- Supported platforms?
- GUI builders:
- Should we have one?
- Does anyone actually use LCD UI?
- Can we integrate with commercial ones?
- How would we deal with generated code?
- Other items as added by participants on call
Discussion about Scope & Requirements
Targeted development platforms (Craig proposal): Windows, Linux, MAC
- We implemented support for "Mpower" preverifier.
- (Craig) MPower is a good long term requirement to support MAC development
- Not clear if we need embedded preverifier if we can allow external preverifiers
- Pro-guard support is implemented (by Gustavo), but not commited to SVN yet.
current code supports MAC/Lin/Win development by using external preverifier
Which SDK's should we support
Currently there is several old (non-UEI) SDK's supported. Proposal is to move those "legacy" code into a unsupported status.
IF in the future we want to refactor the code to simplify the implementation of a "device importer" support, we would not modify all of this code.
(Craig) We need to maintain a balance - and e.g. leave some (MicroME and Mpower) supported.
Currently, MTJ cannot be easily modified to change the build process. This may be a future requirement.
-- (Ken) How would we need to change the build process to support RIM build.
- RIM uses JADs similar to MIDP
- Support for Runtime library
(Craig) Blackberry is almost a post-build step. He can use Jad/Jar to generate a RIM deployable file
-- Question: How do we support i18n? (localization of the resources of a Midlet) Could be considered part of the SDK. Post 1.0 discussion?
-- Regarding: how to include libraries in Midlets. There is extension points to define the set of libraries to create custom device profiles.
Sybase Usecase: include a JAR file in the build/deploy is already supported in the MTJ toolkit. currently - we can/need to mark them as "exported", which will include them in the generated JAR file.
Sybase Question: How can we better integrate / support Device capabilities in MTJ? Netbeans seems to have very tight/good integration of this. (Gustavo) We may need JDT changes? More analysis needed. (Eric) This, and the support for multiple targets, could be post 1.0 features.
Documentation: Currently - the MTJ documentation is based on EclipseME documentation. This would be sufficient for End-User documentation for 1.0
Goal for 1.0 release is functional equivalent to EclipseME.
Problem: How will we do testing for the 1.0 release? Gustavo: the automated (unit) tests will not be available before end of year. For now - lets do manual tests?
short term roadmap:
Until end of July, finish preprocessing, create a release candidate, start collecting test-cases on wiki.
Next conference call planned in end of July. Try to accommodate China Timezone.