Notice: this Wiki will be going read only early in 2024 and edits will no longer be possible. Please see: https://gitlab.eclipse.org/eclipsefdn/helpdesk/-/wikis/Wiki-shutdown-plan for the plan.
CardSync Closed Design Issues
Should we use WebDAV?
- reduces our development effort as this protocol is designed for resource synchronization. And that's what we're doing
- mature, widely supported. Being used in new projects such as Mozilla Weave.
- Not RESTful. WebDAV extends the HTTP verb set. As such is deprecated by the W3C.
- Can interfere with web cache architectures
- We will NOT use WebDAV
Should we use Google protocol buffers?
- High performance
- Good libraries in both C++ and Java
- Question: Might using protobuf reduce the likelyhood of the CardSpace team collaborating with us and potentially using the CardSync Web App? <-- an outcome that would increase interoperability in the industry
- We will NOT use Google protocol buffers