- 1 Scope
- 2 Capella Installation
- 3 External Viewpoints Management
- 4 Migration of an Existing Project
- 5 Optional Commands
- 6 Uninstallation Procedure
Typographic and Notation Rules
To improve legibility, some text elements are identified by specific typographic rules in according to their tutorial purpose.
- Emphasis font is applied to emphasize words which designs controls (Click on Cancel)
Fixedfont is applied to expressions and texts of ASCII (
- Terminology font is applied on expressions referenced in Terminology table.
This document is applicable to Capella 1.0.0.
This document is intended for persons in charge of installing Capella. It describes the installation, configuration and uninstallation of Capella.
Viewpoints and addons can be found on Capella addons page.
To install these extensions, please follow this .
External Viewpoints Management
Capella enforces the presence of all external Viewpoints used by a project to avoid probable data loss. It is mandatory to install all these Viewpoints in Capella in order to migrate or to open a project.
If these Viewpoints are not available or installed in the Capella target version, a preparation of the project is needed before the migration/opening will be possible.
A specific tooling is dedicated to this preparation, please read related documentation at Kitalpha wiki (Detachment): this tooling is packaged in Kitalpha directly, which means by default available in Capella. Moreover files must be writable, so that detach can update and backup successfully
Migration of an Existing Project
What is performed in a global project migration?
- The tool locates all .melodymodeller files at the root of the Eclipse project and migrate them (including all fragments located in the /fragment folder)
- The tool locates all .aird files at the root of the Eclipse project and migrate them (including all fragments located in the /fragment folder)
- The tool locates all .pattern files at the root of the Eclipse project and migrate them
- The tool perform a Sirius Migration on all aird files (including fragments)
Note for External Viewpoints
In case your model deals with external Viewpoints, please read previous section "External Viewpoints management".
- All the open sessions (aird) of the workspace must be closed.
- When working with ClearCase or SVN, all project files must be previously checked-out
- Apply Viewpoint Refresh preferences ( Enable Do refresh on representation opening and Automatic Refresh )
- All used extensions must be installed (e.g.: Basic Variability, etc.)
It is highly recommended to baseline in source control the whole Capella Projects/artefacts/links (or a make a full backup of the files), before running migration process.
For optimized memory management, especially with medium to large size models,
- It is better to perform the migration right after a fresh start of Capella
- It is better to restart Capella after the migration has completed
Enough disk space is required to launch Capella migration because of backup files and Eclipse configuration files. In case of migration failure, please check disk free space.
With big models, it might be necessary to increase the RAM allocated to Capella . To do so, create a Windows shortcut towards eclipse.exe in the Capella installation folder. Open the shortcut properties, and replace the target field by the following:
Or in some cases:
Procedure while using Libraries
Follow below procedure if migration is required for Capella project referencing library project
Consider an example as below:
- MelodyProject01 -> (reference) LibraryProjectSub01 & LibraryProjectSub02
- LibraryProjectSub01 ->(reference) LibraryProjectSuper01 & LibraryProjectSuper02
Migration Procedure of above projects: Migrate Projects in following sequence:
Launch the Migration
Note: Project Migration has been enhanced: "Refresh all Representations" and "Fix filters on all Representations" are not required for migration process. However, they are still available to repair / re-synchronize diagrams in the project life.
Capella project migration is run globally. To do so, use the contextual menu available on the Eclipse project containing the model.
A reminder asks to manually make a versioned copy (baseline) of the model before running migration. Capella creates backup files before performing migration to go back in case of migration problems, even if models are not managed in source control. Please check the option Backup models before the migration.
A dialog shows the progress. The model may be opened automatically several times by the migration.
- Migration process has been enhanced for more performances.
- Do not try to interfere here, even though it takes a moment before the UI shows a dialog.
The result is the following. The ".old" files can be deleted if everything went ok.
Open the model as usual to check everything is fine.
- For big models, it is recommended to close Capella and restart it if necessary
- It is recommended to check-in, then baseline, all files closing Capella and restarting it before starting working.
"Refresh all Representations" Command
Open model session, right click on aird file and select contextual menu "Refresh all Representations":
Some diagrams are updated with semantic Capella updates:
Save the model.
"Fix Filters on all Representations" Command
Capella version Vi ensures project migration for a model done on version V(i-1) (or V(i-j) in case of no modification made on metamodel and diagram analysis specification).
So, before installing latest Capella version Vi, all project shall be migrated in each intermediate version.
For instance, in case new delivered release is V1.1, for a project made previously with Capella V0.8.3, end user shall:
- First, install Capella intermediate version V1.0 for instance and run migration process to migrate project from V0.8.3 towards V1.0
- Then, install latest release (i.e. V1.1) and run migration process to migrate project from V1.0 towards V1.1
Note: It is possible to check the current version of a model, right clicking on the .melodymodeller file.
To uninstall Capella:
- Check there is no useful remaining workspace in Capella installation directory
- Remove the Capella installation directory