COSMOS Install Requirements
Revision as of 15:43, 4 April 2008 by Sleeloy.ca.ibm.com (Talk | contribs) (→Requirements)
COSMOS Installation Requirements
Email [Jason Losh] Phone
The team began the meeting discussing scope of the SDD for installing COSMOS effort. It was noted that the interview or UI portion of the install process is independent of the SDD runtime which processes the artifacts to be installed. Focus for this effort is on the handling of resources and pre-requisite checking plus install/uninstall of files. The UI may be a GUI, command line interface, or property file ... that is TBD.
- Operating system support
- Windows XP SP2
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5.0
- Java Development Kit support
- IBM Java5 SR5
- Sun JDK 1.5.0_13
- Browser support
- Firefox 220.127.116.11
- Internet Explorer 6.0.2900.2180.XP SP2)
- J2EE app server support
- Tomcat verion 5.5.xy
- Web services engine
- Axis 2 1.3
- Dojo Toolkit 1.0.2
- Business Intelligence Reporting Tools
- BIRT 2.3.0 <-- The BIRT version will always be the current version.
Installation Story Board
- Init install
- Query operating system and version requirement, if met continue, else warn
- Query JDK and version requirement, if met continue, else warn
- Query browser and version requirement, if met continue, else warn
- Query app server and version requirement, if met continue, else warn
- Query web services engine and version requirement, if met continue, else warn
- Configure web services engine by modifying properties files, XML files, etc.
- Query bi reporting tools and version requirement, if met continue, else warn
- Gather hostname and port parameters from the user
- Gather user preference on whether to install demo examples or not
- Install COSMOS web application into the "services" directory under web services engine root
- Configure COSMOS by editing its web.xml file
- Start/restart web server
- Install COSMOS command line utility
- Create uninstall script
- Cleanup and exit
- NOTE: An outstanding question is how do we want/need to handle the licensing issues for third party pre-requisites. These likely don't need special handling if we direct users off to another web site to grab these materials. Also, given the extensive number of pre-requisites, I recommend we create a pre-install checklist for COSMOS that clearly documents our pre-requisites, versions, and also how to configure each as well as verify that each is operational. The SDD work will check each requirement and if not met warn as a means to ensure the environment is operational.
- NOTE: The Eclipse update manager will be used to install the COSMOS SDK and associated plug-ins plus dependencies. The SDD will not be used to install these plug-ins for this release.