Build to Manage
TPTP Wiki home > Miscellaneous >
Here is an overview of the File:WSDM--BTM-TPTP-AG-01-DEC-06.zip.
Design documents for BtM WSDM tooling in TPTP 4.4 are here: Design Documents BtM TPTP 4.4
Use cases for BtM WSDM tooling in TPTP 4.4. are here: BtM WSDM TPTP 4.4 Use Cases
Code level dependencies in BtM WSDM Tooling TPTP 4.4: BtM WSDM TPTP 4.4 Depedencies
WSDMTooling for TPTP 4.4 - Limitations and Known problems: BtM WSDM TPTP 4.4 Limitations
BtM Demo at Eclipse Con 2007
- Overview of each
- Common Base Events (CBE)—an IBM initiative that defines a common XML schema for logging and events, CBE allows autonomic systems to evaluate disparate sources of system information before taking action. It is a component of the OASIS Web Services Distributed Management (WSDM) standard.
- Application Response Measurement (ARM)—created by the Computer Measurement Group and now standardized by The Open Group, ARM measures application availability and performance. It collects response times and application-detected errors, with sampling used to lower data collection overhead. ARM uses correlator passing to track transactions across disparate systems.
- Java Management Extensions (JMX)—the standard for management of Java applications, JMX describes the programming interfaces used by applications. It allows Java programs to expose attributes and operations, as well as to send notifications to management systems that conform to the JMX manager-agent architecture. JMX has been added to Java 2 Standard Edition 5.0
- Managed Agent Explorer
- What's important is the commonality between JMX & WSDM
- What are we working on for 4.4
- Questions to be able to answer
- Relationship of WEF to CBE
Show the monitoring and how it works. Then bring in the management to complete the picture.
We will reuse the simple chatt application from Matt. Modify it to use a thread pool to do the work. The transaction will fail when the thread pool is empty. We will add the control layer (WSDM) to the thread pool. Use a service group and MAX to find it. Use both the set properties and an operation to control the pool. Create a "RequestHandler" bean that all the reuests run through. There will be a sleep statement in there that causes the transaction to exceed the threshold. Use the JMX tooling to create an mBean for the "Request Handler" that manipulates it in such a way that the requests don't exceed the threshold. Use MAX to affect the sleep value.
- Start w/ARM to trace a transaction. Show the ARM tooling, the instrumentation, and how you can view the ARM information.
- When testing, the transaction initially takes too long.
- Now we want an event (CBE or WEF) to be signaled when the transaction fails.
- Other possibilities would be if a transaction takes too long, or if it gets lost, fire the event.
- Show the CBE log viewer with the ARM in the extension element.
- (can we link the views???)
Power Point Presentation for Eclipse Con 2007 File:Btm pres.zip
- Stand alone Application
- Web Application File:Webchat2.zip
- Web Chat 2.0 Manageability Endpoint File:WebChat2 0ControlMEP.zip
- Check in cleaned up presentation (MM)
- Check in
- Reuse existing chat app from Matt (MM)
- Create ARM instrumentation (MM)
Downloads and setup for the demo.
- TPTP all-in-one package for 4.3 TPTP 4.3 Download
- Eclipse Web Tools Platform (WTP) 1.5.1 Eclipse Web Tools Platform (WTP) 1.5.1
- Java EMF Model (JEM) SDK 1.2 Java EMF Model (JEM) SDK 1.2
- Graphics Editor Framework (GEF) 3.2 Graphics Editor Framework (GEF) 3.2
- BTM Eclipse Plugins and Agent Controller plugins - TPTP-4.4.0-200702210100 or above
- WSDM ???
- Agent Controller for 4.3 TPTP 4.3 AC