Auto IWG WP5
WP5: Eclipse Qualification Process Support
This is work package 5 of the Automotive Industry Working Group.
- WP Lead: Virtual Vehicle (M. Driussi)
- Roadmap Lead: Validas AG (O. Slotosch)
Based on the requirements of ISO26262 for the development of safety-critical applications in vehicles, a qualification / classification of tools, which are used in the development process, will be required. WP5 has set itself the goal to work on this topic for Eclipse Plugins, which are used in this context. Taking into consideration several standards (ISO, EN, DO, IEC) we want to elaborate a guideline for Eclipse Plugin developers / validators, which is conform to ISO26262 and DO-330. Furthermore we want to provide an Eclipse Tool Qualification Kit.
Meetings and Activities
Kick off Meeting 07.03.2012. The meeting protocol can be found here 
Webex session every two weeks on Wednesday 13 to 15 pm. Next Webex Meeting 25.07.2012 13p.m. (Outlook appointment coming soon)
A List of past Minutes of Meeting
- 21.03.2012 
- 04.04.2012 
- 18.04.2012 
- 02.05.2012 
- 16.05.2012 
- 30.05.2012 
- 13.06.2012 
- 27.06.2012 
Crystal UseCase proposal WP5: The main idea is the implementation of the concept from Validas within the Crystal Project. More information coming soon.
- UseCase description 
We are on the road towards tool qualification towards Eclipse. The following steps are the nexts. You are invited to join us.
- Finalization of the concept (Review against DO-330, Tracing and Réview against ISO-26262)
- started: Demonstration of the concept by eating out own dog food (see Roadmap)
- Demonstration of the concept (prototype) for non-Eclipse-based developments
- Preparation of the Eclipse Project QPP (support fr Qualifiable Plugin Projects)
- Implementation of QPP
All interested parties are invited to participate. Commitment on WP5 telco or webex meeting.
See http://wiki.eclipse.org/images/2/2c/QualificationRoadmapOverview.pdf for an overview (as presented on on 23rd of may 2012 on the IWG Meeting in Toulouse) On the Eclipse Day in Toulouse (24th of May 2012), http://www.eclipsedaytoulouse.com/en/ Oscar Slotosch presented an overview on the roadmap and the curent status.
- WP5.1 Definition of Goals & Requirements
- WP5.2 Elaborate Proposal
- WP5.3 Demonstrate Proposal
- WP5.4 Implement Proposal (extend Eclipse Pluging Framework within an Eclipse Project)
- WP5.5 Qualify any plugin that requires qualification
In WP5.1 we decided to use the DO-330 as basis for qualification of Eclipse-based tools, since it fits to the ISO 26262 but also to other standards like the DO-178C,.. We are checking especially if the ISO 26262 requires less than DO-330.
We propose to extend the Eclipse plugin mechanism to additional data that contains all required information for qualification of the plugin. By building a formal (EMF) model for this data we can automate many steps during the development and qualification process like: Determination of the tool confidence level, determination of the qualification state, verification of syntactical consistency and completeness and generation of requried documents from the requirements specification until the test report with MC/DC coverage of the code. Furthermore we create generic documents that ensure the DO-330 compliance of the process Like "How-To Qualify Eclipse-Based Tools", "Tool Development Plan", "Tool Verification Plan",...
The concept has been elaborated within several steps and covers now all aspects of the DO-330. Since the presentations are extended, it suffices to read the latest.
- First Steps (21th of march 2012) http://wiki.eclipse.org/images/8/8d/EclipseRoadmapFirst.pdf
- Second steps (4th april 2012) http://wiki.eclipse.org/images/6/63/EclipseRoadmapSecond.pdf
- Third Steps (18th april 2012) http://wiki.eclipse.org/images/0/02/EclipseRoadmapThird.pdf
- Fourth Steps (2nd may 2012) http://wiki.eclipse.org/images/7/73/EclipseRoadmapFourth.pdf
- Fifth Steps (16th may 2012) http://wiki.eclipse.org/images/0/00/EclipseRoadmapFifth.pdf
- Sixth/Final Steps (30th may 2012) http://wiki.eclipse.org/images/1/1d/EclipseRoadmapSixth.pdf
The conecpt is described with in the following three documents:
- HowTo Qualify Exclipse-based Tools
- Tool Development Plan for Every Qualifiable Eclipse Plugin
- Tool Verification Plan for Every Qualifiable Eclipse Plugin
- The DO-330 model (EMF)
Is ready now with a complete coverage of DO-330. It can be used for demonstration and will be improved. It is waiting for an offical DO-330 compliance review before it shall be used in official projects. For ISO 26262 either a separate compliance tracing and review would be necessary, or an agreement on the mapping of TCL and ASIL to TQLs.
We (Validas, BMW-CarIT, Virtual Vehicle) are currently working on a small demonstration of the process.
The demonstration shall develop a transition criteria checker tool for the DO-330 to determine the qualification state of a tool based on the DO-330 qualification model of the concept. The plan with functions, milestones etc. can be found at http://wiki.eclipse.org/images/0/08/Demonstrator.pdf
We will synchronize within the WP5 telcos on next steps and report progress (effort & milestones).
Tool qualification needs a business model and we think that it should be open for every user of eclipse to use and to provide tool qualification kits for Eclipse. Currently we are discussing this the idea of pay per qualification as http://wiki.eclipse.org/images/e/ed/PayPerQualification.pdf