Skip to main content
Jump to: navigation, search

Architecture Council/Meetings/September 14 2017

Meeting Title: Architecture Council Monthly Meeting
Date & Time: Thursday September 14, 2017 at 1100 Ottawa
Html.gifHTML | Ical.gifiCal

Attendees

  • In attendance: Carl Anderson, Mikael Barbero, Mélanie Bats, Wayne Beaton, Maximilian Kögel, Alex Kurtakov, Dani Megert, Torkild Resheim, Denis Roy, Martin O, Doug Schaefer, Michael Scharf, Gunnar Wagenknecht
  • Regrets: Jim Hughes, Marcel Bruch, Mickael Istria (couldn't dial in), Martin Lippert, Eike Stepper, Krum Tsvetkov
  • No-Show: Max Andersen, Chris Aniszczyk, John Arthorne, Jay Jay Billings, Nick Boldt, Ian Bull, Benjamin Cabé, Christian Campo, Linda Chan, Naci Dai, Sebastien Gerard, Neil Hauge, Jonas Helming, Kenn Hussey, Tyler Jewell, Markus Knauer, Konstantin Kommissarchik, Benoit Langlois, Ed Merks, Mike Milinkovich, Tracy Miranda, Adrian Mos, Alexander Nyßen, Steffen Pingel, Pascal Rapicault, Tom Schindl, Matthias Sohn, Julien Vermillard, Lars Vogel, Tom Watson, Mike Wilson

#PMC_Rep_Attendees see also below.

Agenda / Notes

Welcome Mélanie Bats

  • Working on Eclipse since 6 years - Eclipse based modeling tools (EEF and Sirius) - member on program committee - Chair of the PC

Dani: Java9 / JUnit5 / Oxygen.1a Update

  • Planned for Oct.11
  • Still discussing whether the update should be done in the simrel repo - maybe create a copy of the repo instead
  • Will adjust to the Java9 GA next week and upload a Marketplace entry for Java9 support
  • Some other projects will join too, eg Scout want to use the new ECJ
  • Important to get feedback from lots of people using it, in order to get a very good December release
    • Wayne - AI All: Please DO go ahead testing by dragging the Marketplace entry onto Oxygen and do what you normally do
    • Eclipse itself can run on Java8, but connect to a Java9 JRE as the target JRE to run
    • Dani: Currently working on a fix that allows Eclpse itself run on Java9 (requires a fix to the eclipse.ini today)
      • Michael: On MacOSX, the eclipse.ini is extremely hidden -- Webstorm recently brought up a dialog that helped editing a config file for increasing mem size, could Eclipse do something similar?
      • Dani: The Oomph installer may help with that ...
      • Torkild: Oomph is fine on Mac ... made a plugin on the Marketplace for things like fixing the "small fonts" it's called OSX Launcher (BTW, Windows 10 users have similar issues)
      • Does editing the eclipse.ini change the signature of the app bundle? - Dani: Maybe, then args must be specified on commandline
  • Photon already merged JUnit 5 support with M2

Doug: JEE and Java Open Source Changes

  • Oracle announcements as per https://mmilinkov.wordpress.com/2017/09/07/java-free-at-last/
  • Dani: Base Java change may have some impact on Eclipse (due to scheduling and aligning with release train), others not so much
  • Wayne: Been talking to Oracle, Redhat and IBM ... basically, a full manifestation of Glassfish + APIs + Specifications + Reference Impl may become a new TLP under Eclipse ("Java EE"), will need a bunch of Mentors
  • The whole concept of running specifications is new at Eclipse, may look for input from the AC on how processes may need to be tweaked
  • Dani: How will that play together with the JCP process, TCKs etc?
    • Wayne: Current understanding is that JEE will remove itself from the JCP, TCKs may become part of the projects.
  • JSE have shorter release cycles, will they still use the JCP? - Not sure, this was not announced
  • JEE8 will still use the JCP (it's almost out now), it'll move to Eclipse afterwards. Teams will likely not change. Planned as a re-inviguration of the JEE.
  • Webtools currently ships the schemas (for offline development), it doesn't ship any of Glassfish
    • There is a chance that moving forward, Webtools may consume Eclipse artifacts much more easily (to be discussed offline)

Wayne: Security Team

  • A struts2 vulnerability was exploited -- want to invest more in security.
  • There are processes in place at Eclipse for security, but security experts are missing ... currently, only IoT projects leverage the process. May be calling to the AC to help revising the process and identify security experts
  • New Members: Wayne

Maximilian: p2 target platform resolution stability

  • Some folk proposed workarounds (to not rely on the download service)
  • See discussion on bug 520905)
  • Looks like right now there's not much more we can do - just raise awareness, document workarounds.

Denis: Infra Updates

  • Asterisk Dialin issues - Dani took 5 times, Michael Scharf too (using Skype)
  • Denis focused on Download Server stability and Mac signing service recently, no chance looking at Asterisk yet
  • Goal would be replacing the conf.system by something that's managed (but doesn't cost a fortune)
    • Don't want to looks "project dialin numbers" when moving forward with a new system
  • Gunnar: Usage statistics for project bridges? (Maybe projects use Google Meet or similar instead)

OOB Topics

  • Dani: Thanks to Denis + Mikael for fixing the Mac signing/test issues
    • Mikael has a plan making the Mac signing more robust (compared to the current single machine)


PMC Rep Attendees

All AC Members are invited.

  • PMC Reps please confirm attendance or list your delegate below. Every PMC is required to name a primary and backup delegate, and to ensure that one delegate attends the meeting.
BIRT: Gary Xue
DTP: Brian Payton Linda Chan
Eclipse: Dani Megert Mike Wilson
Modeling: Ed Merks Mélanie Bats
Eike Stepper
Mylyn: Steffen Pingel Mik Kersten
RT: Christian Campo Tom Watson
SOA: Adrian Mos Marc Dutoo
Technology: Gunnar Wagenknecht Wayne Beaton
Tools: Doug Schaefer Alex Kurtakov
WTP: Carl Anderson Neil Hauge
LocationTech: Jim Hughes
IoT: Julien Vermillard

Next Meeting

Copyright © Eclipse Foundation, Inc. All Rights Reserved.