Skip to main content
Jump to: navigation, search

Architecture Council/Meetings/September 11 2014

< Architecture Council‎ | Meetings
Revision as of 10:39, 11 September 2014 by Mober.at+eclipse.gmail.com (Talk | contribs)

(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Meeting Title: Architecture Council Monthly Meeting
Date & Time: Thursday September 11, 2014 at 1500 UTC / 0800 SFO / 1100 Ottawa / 1600 London / 1700 Berlin attention DST change
Html.gifHTML | Ical.gifiCal
Dial-in: Let's use the Foundation's Asterisk setup for this call:
  • North America (toll free) 1-866-569-4992
  • Germany (local call anywhere in Germany) 49-692-2224-6059
  • France (local call anywhere in France) 33-17-070-8535
  • Switzerland, Spain, Sweden, others - see Asterisk/Numbers

Participant conference extension: 701 then enter pin: 51968

  • SIP clients can call 701@asterisk.eclipse.org, then enter pin 51968.

Attendees

All AC Members are invited.

  • PMC Reps please confirm attendance or list your delegate below. Every PMC is required to name a primary and backup delegate, and to ensure that one delegate attends the meeting.
BIRT: Wenfeng Li Wenbin He
DTP: Brian Payton Linda Chan
Eclipse: Mike Wilson John Arthorne
Modeling: Ed Merks Cédric Brun
Eike Stepper
Mylyn: Steffen Pingel Mik Kersten
RT: Christian Campo Tom Watson
Doug Clarke
Ian Bull
SOA: Adrian Mos Marc Dutoo
Technology: Gunnar Wagenknecht Wayne Beaton
Tools: Doug Schaefer
WTP: Chuck Bridgham Neil Hauge

All Attendees

  • In attendance: Marcel Bruch, Maximilian Kögel, Steffen Pingel, Martin O, Denis Roy, Doug Schaefer, Michael Scharf, Eike Stepper
  • Regrets: Neil Hauge


Agenda / Notes

  • Feel free to edit, but not during the call!

Review of Last Meeting

Marcel: Update on Error Logging

  • Quite confident that everything will be fine until M2
  • Reporting bugs directly to bugzilla now - identified based on a fingerprint
    • Counting such multiple instances (some handler issues have been reported > 800 times already)
    • Marcel reported 15 issues - 5 marked as duplicate, 5 fixed, 5 not yet attended to
  • Every committer can subscribe to the bugzilla component as soon as we have it
    • By "watching" the errorlog-inbox, or by subscribing to RSS
    • Could people subscribe to "their" ID's only somehow ?
    • Bundle names are just guessed due to some heuristics, based on the package names in the stacktrace
    • AI Marcel send around an E-Mail with example reports
    • Some concern that we might get flooded by reports ... currently 2000 already ... need to tweak / tune down the reporting
  • Any auto-reported bug can be used as the base for creating "cloned" bugs in the projects / components
  • When the "tracking bug" is fixed in bugzilla, the reporter could read out the status and even report back to the user
  • Request: please provide feedback and make suggestions
    • Right now, the review is done by Marcel ... but hope that project committers will step up once their plugin ID's are reported

Eike: Usage Data Collection

  • Working on Oomph and Preference Recorder
  • Trying to "learn" which Preference Keys are interesting and which ones are not so interesting
  • Would like to understand which Preference Keys users found worthwhile to record, and transfer to other workspaces
    • Marcel: First step would be talking to Wayne, who would forward to Mike
  • Eike: Is there any precedent ?
    • Marcel: Got permission for error reporting ; pending permission for "heartbeat" as part of the privacy plugin done during GSoC
    • See Marcel's Blog for details
    • AI Eike prepare a little video about the benefit of the envisioned kind of collection, and send to Wayne

Michael: Played with a Stale Plugin

  • Forked the code on Github, planning to revive it
    • The old version of the plugin is still on the marketplace
    • But the original authors are impossible to reach at this time
  • Original plugin was hosted on Google Code as Subversion, then forked by somebody on Github
    • Cannot contribute code to Eclipse.org , but interested in posting on Marketplace
    • Question: How to move on ?
      • Martin: Reminds of the TM Terminal (Cloned as Google ELT, then cloned back as TCF Terminals) ... but there the namespace was different
      • Sounds like with cloned versions, they would end up as a separate listing on Marketplace ... likely that the active one may bubble up eventually

Doug: Launchbar

  • Committed now, being used not only for CDT but also for Java
    • See Doug's Original Announcement for background
    • Also used for Java now (eg launching Eclemma, ...)
    • Going to write up some blogs; planning to Demo during the CDT Confcall 2nd Tuesday October
    • Goal: Trying to hide Launch Configs, and have them auto-generated with defaults .. aiming at the beginner user
    • Other IDE's like XCode do launches in a much simpler way
  • Michael: EclipseRunner also deals with Launch Configurations but in a different way (as a hierarchical view, allowing to launch with one click)


Action Items

  • No new action items.
  • Cleaned up old action items, see Architecture Council/Meetings/February 10 2011 for old stuff
  • (old) Tim write up an initial wiki page with information for people to standardize on the tracing API
  • (old) Martin revise the AC Wiki to make it easier to find the New Member Process. More links on homepage. More usage of categories.
  • (old) Martin bug 315210 Make the AC mailing list open / moderated

Next Meeting

Back to the top