Architecture Council/Meetings/November 13 2014
|Meeting Title:||Architecture Council Monthly Meeting|
|Date & Time:|| Thursday November 13, 2014 at 1500 UTC / 0800 SFO / 1100 Ottawa / 1600 London / 1700 Berlin attention DST change|
HTML | iCal
|Dial-in:|| Let's use the Foundation's Asterisk setup for this call:
Participant conference extension: 701 then enter pin: 51968
All AC Members are invited.
- PMC Reps please confirm attendance or list your delegate below. Every PMC is required to name a primary and backup delegate, and to ensure that one delegate attends the meeting.
|Mylyn:||Steffen Pingel|| |
|Tools:||Doug Schaefer|| |
- In attendance: Wayne Beaton, Jonas Helming, Maximilian Koegel, Martin O, Steffen Pingel, Doug Schaefer, Michael Scharf, Krum Tsvetkov,
- Regrets: Marcel Bruch, Neil Hauge, Gunnar Wagenknecht
Agenda / Notes
- Feel free to edit, but not during the call!
Review of Last Meeting
- Doug: TM Project
- Martin: No committers feel responsible for planning - is it time to archive the project ?
- Wayne: But patches are still being accepted ? - Project might just be mature, that is a reasonable state
- Doug: Portal doesn't show active committers ? AI Wayne looks like Dash is broken, will investigate.
- Doug: So how does it go into the release train then ? - Maybe just sticked there from last year ?
- Wayne: There must be explicit "opt-in" from each project once a year; will sort out with David Williams
- Martin: But there are still some dependent projects:
- Linuxtools being taken care of now by WR contribution
- Doug will take care of remote through his LaunchBar work
- Does PTP need RSE ? PHP/PDT ? Anyone else ?
- Bottomline: Archiving is probably premature, "maintenance mode" is acceptable for mature projects as long as patches are still being accepted.
- But for the Packages, need to get rid of the duplicate Terminal Views
- New Member Votes - Action from Past Meeting
- AI Wayne nominate one, AI Martin finalize the other
- Wayne: Feature Names and Descriptions
- E-Mail drafted will send to cross-project-issues-dev
- "Install New Software" dialog is intended for end users - feature descriptions do matter, need to hint about what a feature provides
- (silent agreement of all AC attendees)
- currently, some of the features are meant for adopters / product builders ...
- Doug: Generally agrees ... there's some C/C++ related features that do not come from the CDT ?!?
- For CDT and EGit, the project name is like a code name ... though it's nowhere seen in the UI;
- project name in feature descriptions often doesn't make sense (there's exceptions like EMF which is like a brand)
- MPC is what the "install new software" should be ... but need to make keeping that up-to-date easier
- Michael: With IntelliJ, install/update is just so much easier ... it's a major difficulty for many users of Eclipse
- Wayne: Eclipse Mars will be in the Fedora Software Repository on the day it's released
- "must not look goofy" initiative...
- Eike: Committers-package follow-up ? - AI Martin follow up with Eike
- Wayne: eclipse-vision mailing list
- Had a meeting at EclipseCon Europe, owe an Article for the Eclipse Newsgroup ... AI Wayne post a preview of that to the AC
- New AC Member candidates
- Eclipse Infrastructure - git, Gerrit, Maven, Hudson, Bugzilla, ...
- Updates from the Board or the EMO
- No new action items.
- Cleaned up old action items, see Architecture Council/Meetings/February 10 2011 for old stuff
- (old) Tim write up an initial wiki page with information for people to standardize on the tracing API
- (old) Martin revise the AC Wiki to make it easier to find the New Member Process. More links on homepage. More usage of categories.
- (old) Martin bug 315210 Make the AC mailing list open / moderated