Architecture Council/Meetings/Meeting Notes
This page captures meeting notes of the Eclipse Architecture Council. Please add topics for the next call to the backlog, but not during a call!
- Update from EMO (Wayne/Gunnar)
- Infrastructure Update (Denis)
(Please add agenda items/topics for discussion here.)
- The majority of EPP packages are currently slated to contain incubating components in IDE 2020-06. There is a question about whether the downloadable file name must contain "incubating" or simply mention this in its description.
- Argument for: our EPP packages are "opinionated" and aimed at end-users, the state of the included projects and technologies is paramount
- Projects see leaving incubation as a cost without any obvious value
May 14, 2020
- EMO Update
- Wayne asked one more time for feedback to the IP tool.
- The IP tool is now part of Dash in GitHub and pull-request are welcome.
- Jonah contributed Yarn support.
- There are a few interesting project proposals coming up and mentors wanted.
- Infrastructure Update
- New firewalls were put in place early May. They har redundant and part of the program to reduce single-point-of-failures.
- Thanks to a lot help we are clear for a long overdue Gerrit update. The sandbox is running and an upgrade is planned for after the 2020-06 release. Please prepare as Gerrit will come with a new UI/UX.
- Jonah asked if we are on the latest version of Bugzilla. Denis confirmed we are on the latest official release.
- There is an edit extension which Denis was unable to get to work in our Bugzilla instance.
- Setup of a production GitLab instance in Switzerland started.
- Removing Inactive Committers
- The general feedback is that this should not be automated.
- However, having a regular reminder to project leads for house keeping the committers is a good idea.
- The definition of "active" is blurry. Hence, it always has to be a manual process.
- Mailing List Search
- Searching the mailing list was possible using Google Custom Search
- Seems to be broken - Jonah will open a bug (https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=563173)
March 12, 2020
- Infrastructure Update
- New servers ready to go to replace servers that failed last month. ETA next week.
- Better hardware and 10 GBit technology will make things much better in the backend.
- EMO Update
- Wayne thanked for feedback to IP tooling received so far. It's helpful. Please provide more feedback if you can.
- Next steps are to make a repository available and bring tooling to the Eclipse Dash project and make it available.
- As of today, CQs for known license sources of 3rd party content is no longer required.
- 3rd-party Mailing Lists
- Emily made us aware of an ask to send committer nomination emails to mailing lists outside Eclipse.org. While the PMI cannot do it easily, there is a workaround by subscribing the external mailing list to the Eclipse.org mailing list.
- New candidates for Architecture Council Membership (Wayne)
- We need to recruit/include members that are not yet known and work in Eclipse projects for a very long time already but with no intersection with others.
- Gunnar proposed a mentorship/outreach program/sessions where one AC member starts a conversation with potential candidates, explains the role of the AC, the work, etc. The goal is to get to know each other and invite new members to the AC.
- Anonymous contributions (Jonah)
- A GitHub account as contributor is ok, it can be traced back to an individual.
- An ECA must be signed in any case. This requires a real email address and this is sufficient.
- EMO expectation to committers is to monitor and catch/report shenanigans.
- The handbook wording needs an updated and will investigated separately.
- Parallel IP (Jonah)
- Wayne explained that Parallel IP is now the standard way of doing things at Eclipse.
- The code can go in early but a release needs to wait for full review.
- It's important to put release records in to PMI as early as possible. The IP team will use the dates to prioritize their work.
January 9, 2020
- Welcome Noopur to the AC
- No other topics so end the meeting early
Older meeting notes can be found in Architecture Council/Meetings/Archive.