Architecture Council/Meetings/May 11 2017
< Architecture Council | Meetings
Revision as of 11:59, 11 May 2017 by Torkildr.gmail.com (Added a few details)
|Meeting Title:||Architecture Council Monthly Meeting|
|Date & Time:|| Thursday May 11, 2017 at 1100 Ottawa |
HTML | iCal
- In attendance: Marcel Bruch, Mickael Istria, Alex Kurtakov, Dani Megert, Martin O, Torkild Resheim, Denis Roy, Doug Schaefer, Michael Scharf, Gunnar Wagenknecht
- Regrets: Jay Jay Billing
- No-Show: Carl Anderson, Max Andersen, Chris Aniszczyk, John Arthorne, Mikael Barbero, Wayne Beaton, Nick Boldt, Cédric Brun, Ian Bull, Benjamin Cabé, Christian Campo, Linda Chan, Naci Dai, Sebastien Gerard, Neil Hauge, Jonas Helming, Jim Hughes, Kenn Hussey, Tyler Jewell, Markus Knauer, Maximilian Kögel, Konstantin Kommissarchik, Benoit Langlois, Martin Lippert, Ed Merks, Mike Milinkovich, Tracy Miranda, Adrian Mos, Alexander Nyßen, Steffen Pingel, Pascal Rapicault, Tom Schindl, Matthias Sohn, Eike Stepper, Krum Tsvetkov, Julien Vermillard, Lars Vogel, Tom Watson, Mike Wilson
#PMC_Rep_Attendees see also below.
Agenda / Notes
- Feel free to edit, but not during the call!
- Last meeting: Architecture Council/Meetings/April 20 2017 -- open actions see #Action_Items
Welcome Torkild Resheim
- 20 years SW Dev, 10 years at Eclipse
- Created his own Eclipse based IDE for an obscure language, later joined Atmel to work on the Eclipse based AVR32 Studio.
- Since 6 years, contractor/consultant mostly for the marine and offshore sector in Trondheim, Norway.
Marcel: Neon.3a respin
- Status? When will it go live?
- Denis: Built on Monday, planned to go live today
Marcel: Guava 21
- Why do we want to force all Release Train projects update to Guava 21?
- Will we have the same situation the next time?
- There seem no technical reasons; core problem is, that people don't use "uses" constraints properly
- Why should "my project" change just because the others can't deal with "uses" constraints?
- Martin: Has no technical details, but observed issues with Guava over multiple years, so there is an indication we have complexity that is hard to handle
- Gunnar: In favor of consistency; a single version is good
- Alex: Planning Council deliberately "recommended" single Guava to minimize the chances of breaking; it was never intended as a strong requirement. Projects may use something newer if they need.
- Marcel wanted to stick to something older, because Guava types were used in the public API
- For XText and projects dependent on XText, there is risk
- Martin: Consistency / Simplification would be the better solution; but, if a stakeholder has good reason for not sticking to the recommendation, and that stakeholder offers investing time and resources to solve problems downstream, that should be supported.
- Marcel could improve Error Reporting to better find / triage uses constraints
- Could also go back to Ed to find and nail down issues - triage once we have reproducible scenarios
- Proposing a FEEP project to improve the situation
- Marcel would be fine announcing some time frame, until projects have to upgrade to a consistent version (eg 6 months) but M7 is too late. For example, decide now that Oxygen.1 will use Guava 23 only.
- Alex: How could library versions be decided by M4 already, is that even executable ???
- Denis: Engaging on cbi-dev would be a good first step.
- ACTION: Marcel to draft statement for cross-project, others to review
- Denis: Tackling 3 issues right now
- Asterisk: Runs on one of the legacy virtualization servers, network card is dying, moving to new hardware
- Timeouts for download.eclipse.org sporadic, but if it happens then on a large scale - looking at load balancer
- Gerrit just upgraded; start work upgrading bugzilla; will also upgrade mediawiki
- In this context, will remove the custom authentication plugin and replace by OpenID connect
PMC Rep Attendees
All AC Members are invited.
- PMC Reps please confirm attendance or list your delegate below. Every PMC is required to name a primary and backup delegate, and to ensure that one delegate attends the meeting.
|Eclipse:||Dani Megert|| |
|Technology:||Gunnar Wagenknecht|| |
|Tools:||Doug Schaefer||Alex Kurtakov|