Architecture Council/Meetings/June 8 2017
|Meeting Title:||Architecture Council Monthly Meeting|
|Date & Time:|| Thursday June 8, 2017 at 1100 Ottawa |
HTML | iCal
- In attendance (12): Carl Anderson, Mikael Barbero, Wayne Beaton, Jonas Helming, Mickael Istria, Dani Megert, Tracy Miranda, Martin O, Torkild Resheim, Doug Schaefer, Michael Scharf, Gunnar Wagenknecht
- Regrets (8): Jay Jay Billings, Marcel Bruch, Alex Kurtakov, Martin Lippert, Alexander Nyßen, Matthias Sohn, Eike Stepper, Krum Tsvetkov
- No-Show (30): Max Andersen, Chris Aniszczyk, John Arthorne, Nick Boldt, Cédric Brun, Ian Bull, Benjamin Cabé, Christian Campo, Linda Chan, Naci Dai, Sebastien Gerard, Neil Hauge, Jim Hughes, Kenn Hussey, Tyler Jewell, Markus Knauer, Maximilian Kögel, Konstantin Kommissarchik, Benoit Langlois, Ed Merks, Mike Milinkovich, Adrian Mos, Steffen Pingel, Pascal Rapicault, Denis Roy, Tom Schindl, Julien Vermillard, Lars Vogel, Tom Watson, Mike Wilson
#PMC_Rep_Attendees see also below.
Agenda / Notes
- Feel free to edit, but not during the call!
- Last meeting: Architecture Council/Meetings/May 11 2017 -- open actions see #Action_Items
- Took Martin 5 attempts to dial in via Skype (the conf system wouldn't ask for the extension to use)
- Landline failed for Michael Scharf (Skype worked)
- Took 2 tries for Jem and one other attendee
- Wayne: Conf.system is on the list to be addressed - stay tuned
Dani: Java 9 Update
- Jigsaw: Initial JSR was rejected, new specs were submitted and release was postponed from July to Sep.29
- Planning Council discussed the situation yesterday
- A new switch is likely going to be introduced for enabling modules
- Because of the new switch, the Equinox Launcher couldn't keep its 4.7M7 hacks to deal with Java9 specific switches
- As per bug 517507, the Launcher is not going to do any magic any more (like in M7)
- Users of Java 9 will have to specify Java 9 options for enabling the proper expected modules
- A N&N Entry for the Oxygen Release links to a Wiki page that explains what needs to be done for Java 9
- Wayne: Should Java9 specific switches be added to packages?
- Dani: Switches are not yet known. Also, package maintainers would net to find out which modules are actually needed.
- Martin: Also, if a package should run on either Java9 or Java8, the Launcher would need to add (or not) such switches - this functionality has been removed from the Launcher
- bug 517452 discusses a new, more generic way switching between Java9 witches or not
Wayne: Generalize Legal Docs
- About files (about.html, SUA in features, ...)
- Ideas moving forward: Root of the repo to contain obvious files named LICENSE , NOTICE with respective contents (copyright owners, cryptography status, ...)
- Want to adopt the SPDX framework for tracking license per projects in a machine-readable manner
- Want to avoid unnecessary changes in existing plugins - the current way doing things becomes an implementation detail in the new framework
- Intent having a draft doc of the guidelines by end June, then work with the IP Advisory Committee over the summer until Sept
PMC Rep Attendees
All AC Members are invited.
- PMC Reps please confirm attendance or list your delegate below. Every PMC is required to name a primary and backup delegate, and to ensure that one delegate attends the meeting.
|Eclipse:||Dani Megert|| |
|Technology:||Gunnar Wagenknecht||Wayne Beaton|
|Tools:||Doug Schaefer|| |
|WTP:||Carl Anderson|| |
- Architecture Council/Meetings/July 13 2017 (tentative, might be canceled due to summer vacation)