Architecture Council/Meetings/June 8 2017
|Meeting Title:||Architecture Council Monthly Meeting|
|Date & Time:|| Thursday June 8, 2017 at 1100 Ottawa |
HTML | iCal
|Dial-in:|| See Eclipse Asterisk :
Participant conference extension: 701 then enter pin: 51968
- In attendance: Carl Anderson, Mikael Barbero, Wayne Beaton, Dani Megert, Gunnar Wagenknecht, Mickael Istria, Jonas, Torkild, Tracy Miranda, Doug Schaefer,
#PMC_Rep_Attendees see also below.
Agenda / Notes
- Feel free to edit, but not during the call!
- Last meeting: Architecture Council/Meetings/May 11 2017 -- open actions see #Action_Items
- Took Martin 5 attempts to dial in via Skype (the conf system wouldn't ask for the extension to use)
- Landline failed for Michael Scharf (Skype worked)
- Took 2 tries for Jem and one other attendee
- Wayne: Conf.system is on the list to be addressed - stay tuned
Dani: Java 9 Update
- Jigsaw: Initial JSR was rejected, new specs were submitted and release was postponed from July to Sep.29
- Planning Council discussed the situation yesterday
- A new switch is likely going to be introduced for enabling modules
- Because of the new switch, the Equinox Launcher couldn't keep its 4.7M7 hacks to deal with Java9 specific switches
- As per bug 517507, the Launcher is not going to do any magic any more (like in M7)
- Users of Java 9 will have to specify Java 9 options for enabling the proper expected modules
- A N&N Entry for the Oxygen Release links to a Wiki page that explains what needs to be done for Java 9
- Wayne: Should Java9 specific switches be added to packages?
- Dani: Switches are not yet known. Also, package maintainers would net to find out which modules are actually needed.
- Martin: Also, if a package should run on either Java9 or Java8, the Launcher would need to add (or not) such switches - this functionality has been removed from the Launcher
- bug 517452 discusses a new, more generic way switching between Java9 witches or not
Wayne: Generalize Legal Docs
- About files (about.html, SUA in features, ...)
- Ideas moving forward: Root of the repo to contain obvious files named LICENSE , NOTICE with respective contents (copyright owners, cryptography status, ...)
- Want to adopt the SPDX framework for tracking license per projects in a machine-readable manner
- Want to avoid unnecessary changes in existing plugins - the current way doing things becomes an implementation detail in the new framework
- Intent having a draft doc of the guidelines by end June, then work with the IP Advisory Committee over the summer until Sept
PMC Rep Attendees
All AC Members are invited.
- PMC Reps please confirm attendance or list your delegate below. Every PMC is required to name a primary and backup delegate, and to ensure that one delegate attends the meeting.
|Eclipse:||Dani Megert|| |
|RT:||Christian Campo||Tom Watson|
|Technology:||Gunnar Wagenknecht||Wayne Beaton|
|Tools:||Doug Schaefer|| |
|WTP:||Carl Anderson|| |
- Architecture Council/Meetings/July 13 2017 (tentative, might be canceled due to summer vacation)